Converting Quadra Trac I into Quadra Trac II? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Converting Quadra Trac I into Quadra Trac II?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
matthewbunton
2011 WK 

Converting Quadra Trac I into Quadra Trac II?

So here is my problem. I want to convert my WK2 so it has 4lo. I am just wondering if anyone has done that yet. If so how much it was and is it worth it?Or should I just sell my jeep and get a Wrangler?

matthewbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

From past discussion, it would be less money and aggravation to trade your WK2 for one with QTII. Its more than a transfer case. Its at least one traction control box, perhaps some console switches, ECU software and ABS software/hardware.

There were a couple attempts discussed on the Commander forum, which has similar components, and it was not completely successful. I think they gave up when they couldn't figure out how to adjust the ABS. The system detected a fault and disabled.

Wrangler vs WK2 is subjective. The wrangler provides off road capability for the most rugged trails but the WK2 is much nicer on the highway.

The WK systems are similar to the WK2, especially in later years. You may want to check out that sub-forum.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
LouC
2007 WK 

I agree this would be way to expensive assuming you could even do it. These modern vehicle are not like the old ZJ, XJs and TJs that you could change transfer cases on fairly easily. Where are you going off road that you need 4-Low? I've driven on the beach many times and pulled boats up sandy slimy ramps and never needed anything but 4 high in either of my Jeeps....
Course of all you want is a more off road friendly transfer case you could look for a nice WJ, ZJ or XJ as a trail vehicle. The Grands came with selectrac (NV 242) which is part time/full time as standard in the 4.0 six models. The XJ came with command trac (NV 231) which is part time only. These vehicles can be picked up for less money than what it would cost to swap the t-case in the ultra complex new WK II

When I got my WK used the things I wanted most were Hemi, Quadradrive II and the tow package.
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
matthewbunton
2011 WK 

Ok So I had came up with a conclusion. I will still keep my WK2. I will continue to add the RRO Front Bumper kit, Winch, 2.5 in lift, 33 in Mud Terrains, PreRunner Skid Plate, and Rock Sliders. I will take it on some trails. I will then buy a old CJ7 or a TJ to run for nothing but off roading. I want to get one for about 5000. How does that sound?
matthewbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Much better plan.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Sounds alot better than doing a swap!
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
kkreit01

Sounds like a good plan, but why spend $thousands on your WK2, if you plan to get a trail rig anyway? WK2s look great modded up for trail use, but you'll really take a hit in mpg and daily driveability.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

Do vehicles rust where you are? because if they do, not a good plan, old CJs are rust buckets. Leave the WKII Stock. Find a nice 98 or so TJ Wrangler 4.0 with the 3 speed automatic.BTW these need to be checked for rust too. Add an OME lift/shocks with 30" tires. That way, it is still safe to drive, you are not stressing the stock axles and not sapping all the power without having to re-gear. You do realize the last CJs were made, like in 1986?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.