Consumer Reports 2014 (ouch) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Consumer Reports 2014 (ouch)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
fourbye

Consumer Reports 2014 (ouch)

Jeep tied for last place?

consumer-reports.jpg

fourbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those reports are for Audi/Lexus driving doctors/attorneys/****wads. Disregard everything.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Cr

has never liked Jeep. Over the years they have always given Jeep poor test scores. However, Jeep is also at fault since there dependability and reliability are starting to resemble that of their parent company Fiat. Jeep needs to concentrate on turing out a reliable and dependable vehicle and not selling 1 million units. One of Jeep's biggest problems is Sergio "The Magnificent" who is all about him.

Sergio and his minions are killing he resale value of WK2s
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
fourbye

Really, with all the issues I keep reading about on the forums, think I am going to pass until the JGC is more refined. Best looking SUV by far, inside and out, very capable, comfortable, but reliability seems to be lacking big time.. Think I am just going to pick up a taco and hopefully in the next few years jeeps get's it's ****e together.. I absolutely LOVED the JGC and it's too bad they a riddled with issues...
fourbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

99% of those problems were software bugs or folks not reading the owners manual and visiting a dealer. There is no correlation to fault or error and severity. Not saying software bugs are good, but they are correctable, its not like the transmissions blowing up on the top rated and double the cost Audi....

That being said, the 2014s seem to have more rattles and other annoyances here than the 2011-2013 model years, although they are near identical. Perhaps FIAT is trying to squeeze as much production out as they can and is overlooking quality.
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Kev M
2012 WK 

Look, there's obviously SOME truth to the CR reports. At least to the effect that it is showing trends in owner satisfaction and/or repairs.

The problems with their data include the fact that is comes from owner surveys, which can include many possible factors to influence the data OTHER than actual reliability.

For instance you'll notice how luxury brands tend to do well, even despite the fact that if you visit their owner forums you'll see similar lists of niggling issues. The difference in many cases will simply be customer service. Owners will report better on them if they are simply happier with how they are treated WHEN their vehicles have problems.

And maybe more importantly, NEW CAR surveys really mean jack in predicting how those vehicles are going to hold up mechanically over 100k or 200k miles.

Not to mention, by the time you get 100k or 200k mile data on a vehicle, that particular vehicle is really no longer in production, so you've got to use some faith in these things.

Like I started, you have to believe there is SOME truth to these things, that they are uncovering some patterns that may prove true over the average life of the brand.

But really, these days, it's rare that a true POS survives production and sale in the US because it is such a competitive marketplace.

As I've said before, even my two decade long career in the service and repair industry does not make me spend my hard earned money on brands like Honda or Toyota, as they just don't interest me, and I find things like Jeep or Mini so much more appealing (and certainly more than reliable enough).
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Amazing how a radio can turn a truck from "most awarded " to bottom of the pile.
LibGrandCher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
maverick12

Consumer Reports is a joke and has been ever since they manipulated their rollover test results for the Suzuki Samurai in the late 80's. Actual consumer reviews are much better for providing unbiased insight.
maverick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Yep, I bought a brand new CR top-rated 2007 Honda Accord V6 only to have the auto trans bite the dust at just 42K miles. I might buy CR's top rated toothbrush, but take their auto expertise with a grain of salt. They trashed my other two vehicles in previous reviews as being "unreliable" and "dangerously overpowered" and both have been completely trouble free.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
hemispin
2014 WK 

It's surprising that Honda and Toyota are rated mid pack. Consumer Reports is pretty much a joke, along with AOL autos, MSN autos, etc. Stick to the dedicated car magazines for review, such as Car and Driver, Road and Track, and for websites, edmunds.com is a good one.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
TurboRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
.... "dangerously overpowered" ...

They should probably stick to reviewing Civics and Corollas.

Not to mention I feel like 5 different CR reports for 2014 with manufactures in different locations in every one of them (this could of course be because I see it hear on forums and its outside of its original context).
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Consumer reports have been manipulated for years by certain business interests. Anyone who believes them should be aware of this. Check it out on the internet "if" that information hasn't been deleted by those who manipulate consumer choices.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

The basic foundation of the GC is pretty darn good. Beautiful styling, the V6 engine is a marvel, very powerful for its size. The trans is pretty much seamless in its operation. The appointments are nice for the most part.

They just seem to have a lot of little niggling faults with the software, and poor choices from an engineering standpoint in an attempt to please everyone. Their biggest issue is QC. They get that under control, they would have a great vehicle.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
jacko15
2014 WK 

JNAP can't build them fast enough. CR is for toasters and washing machines.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Thats the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
JNAP can't build them fast enough. CR is for toasters and washing machines.
JNAP is building them too fast and GC went down the toilet. Short term profits and goals like selling a million Jeeps rule. F QC and reliability.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.