Considering purchasing GC 2011- need opinions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Considering purchasing GC 2011- need opinions.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
JoeSchmoe007

Considering purchasing GC 2011- need opinions.

I used to own 1998 GC Ltd 4x4 with 8-cyl engine (bought it used in 2000) until past Sunday when it was totaled in an accident.

I've been mostly satisfied with it except one thing: noise and vibration from the rear on the highway at speeds over 50mph (I didn't mind at all that it was bumpy at times on uneven pavement). Visit to dealer brought an answer "this is a Jeep, they are all like that". Considering I don't drive much I just got used to it b/c it wasn't horrible and I understood that at that time Jeep didn't have to compete on quiet ride quality.

Now I am forced to search for new car and checked out GC 2011 at the dealership but didn't drive it yet.

I am considering GC 4WD with V6 and 26X package. No other options. I don't really plan to off-road or tow anything.

1) For those who owns one or test-drove one: how is the ride quality on the highway at >50MPH? How does it compare with, say, Toyota Highlander or Mazda CX-9 or similar competitors?

2) It seemed to me that rear seat is significantly less comfortable and padded then it was in my '98. Did anyone spend any significant time in the rear seat to give an opinion on that?

3) I am somewhat reluctant to purchase model of 1-st year design. If anybody purchased first year model (93, 99, etc) - were there any bugs that were never fixed by Chrysler for that year model yet were fixed at later years?

JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Djeazie

My 2011 is the most luxuriously riding vehicle I have ever owned. Mind you I had a couple of pick-up trucks a few Mustangs and some other cars not known for their ride quality, but this thing really make me feel as if Im driving a luxury vehicle and not a 4x4 truck. Best of both worlds if you ask me.
Djeazie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Snipe315
2012 WK 

Are you sure you sat in a 2011 JGC?

I've found the rear seat to be MUCH more comfortable and roomy than the previous models.

And since the lack of room in the rear seats was one of the primary reasons I didn't get the previous model, I paid careful attention to that detail.

My best suggestion is to drive one for yourself to see how quiet it is on the road.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/poll-wk2-owners-ql-1154625/
Snipe315 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
jonesark

I haven't bought a new one yet, and the last JGC I had was a 2000 model. I have test drove both the 2011 GC base and overland....I was very, very impressed. MUCH better in just about every category than the 2000 I had. It feels, looks and drives much more like a luxury SUV than any pervious GC.

I can't wait to order mine, just need a few more options to come available.
jonesark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
Are you sure you sat in a 2011 JGC?

I've found the rear seat to be MUCH more comfortable and roomy than the previous models.

And since the lack of room in the rear seats was one of the primary reasons I didn't get the previous model, I paid careful attention to that detail.

My best suggestion is to drive one for yourself to see how quiet it is on the road.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I am sure I sat in 2011

I didn't mean lack of room/legroom in the rear seats. It just seemed they were not as soft as ones in my 1998 GC and not as deep. But then again I didn't spend much time in rear seat of my old car so not sure.
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesark View Post
I haven't bought a new one yet, and the last JGC I had was a 2000 model. I have test drove both the 2011 GC base and overland....I was very, very impressed. MUCH better in just about every category than the 2000 I had. It feels, looks and drives much more like a luxury SUV than any pervious GC.

I can't wait to order mine, just need a few more options to come available.
What are the options you are waiting for?
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
jonesark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
What are the options you are waiting for?
The saddle brown leather and the tech package. All the "late availability" items should be available by oct I believe. As soon as everything comes available, I'll order mine.
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesark View Post
The saddle brown leather and the tech package. All the "late availability" items should be available by oct I believe. As soon as everything comes available, I'll order mine.
What's the code for the tech package? I couldn't find it in the list of options on Edmunds
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I am sure I sat in 2011

I didn't mean lack of room/legroom in the rear seats. It just seemed they were not as soft as ones in my 1998 GC and not as deep. But then again I didn't spend much time in rear seat of my old car so not sure.
Your rear seats have been broken in over their past 13 years of life... I recall the original WK having that "problem". The seats break in and are then super comfortable
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
JoeSchmoe007

What about HEMI vs V6? I read that HEMI makes this ticking noise, but this was about older models. Is this still the case in GC 2011?
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
jonesark

Quote:
What's the code for the tech package? I couldn't find it in the list of options on Edmunds
I've heard it called several different names, tech package, safety package. Needless to say, its the group of options including:

Adaptive Cruise
Rear cross-path detection
Blind spot sensors
Front end collision warning
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Dabitz

I just switched my V6 to full synthetic oil... I still can't believe this is a V6 engine. I had a V6 XK and KK and it's not even close. The synthetic oil also seems to give it some extra pump. Very powerful little engine. I have no regrets at all since I don't tow anything. Reviews on this engine are really good as well. I don't have leather and still feel like I'm driving a luxury vehicle. The stock 245 fortera tires are pretty good too, I had them on the XK and they handled really well in the snow.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
sabre364
2007 WK 

Just a heads up, if you don't go with the adventure pack I you won't get a full size spare! THough I'm sure you could always get one later.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre364 View Post
Just a heads up, if you don't go with the adventure pack I you won't get a full size spare! THough I'm sure you could always get one later.
Not true.. I don't have the adventure package and I have a full spare. I beleive it comes with the "trailer tow group IV" as well.

I have a Hemi 4x4 and it drives down the road as smooth or smoother than the M Class Mercedes which I have spent some time in.. Its not even fair compare the 2010 and the 2011 GC in almost any aspect, ESPECIALLY ride quality. Apples and oranges to say the least.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
texwilliams5

I am trying to decide between a new 4Runner or the 2011 GC Laredo X package... Let me know what you all think? This will be used primarily as a daily driver and occasionally to the woods for some deer hunting.
texwilliams5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.