Complaints and Recalls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Complaints and Recalls

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
dcbaros

Question Complaints and Recalls

So I thought I had settled on wanting a GC but come to find out there are more complaints out there than I can count. Whats the deal? I found a great deal on a diesel overland that I was going to go look at today but after talking to my dad who had heard that they were essentially all lemons, I am inclined to look for something else. Whats going on with Jeep? I see that there were a ton of recalls, did these fix most of the problems? I really wanted a GC, its the only SUV that I like at this moment.

dcbaros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Lightninrod
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbaros View Post
So I thought I had settled on wanting a GC but come to find out there are more complaints out there than I can count. Whats the deal? I found a great deal on a diesel overland that I was going to go look at today but after talking to my dad who had heard that they were essentially all lemons, I am inclined to look for something else. Whats going on with Jeep? I see that there were a ton of recalls, did these fix most of the problems? I really wanted a GC, its the only SUV that I like at this moment.
I recently bought a 2013 JGC Overland with 52,000 miles, 2WD and the 5.7L V8. I ran the VIN and found that the recalls(just a few for the 2013s) had all been done. The fuel pump fix still needs to be done but the notice from factory said the parts aren't available right now.

My 2013 has been flawless so far. 2013's have had far fewer problems than the 2014s and 15s.

Dan

Last edited by Lightninrod; 06-22-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Lightninrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

Lots of recalls across all makes these days. Aside from a couple of simple recalls, my '14 has been trouble free for over two years now. Forums are full of problems, it's where people go to complain. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Grand Cherokee. There are hundreds of thousands of them on the road. I'd be scared to death to buy a Toyota right now, but that's just me. I think the most important thing with any vehicle purchase is the dealer's service department. Mine is great. Do your due diligence, and buy what you like the best.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbaros View Post

There are a few trucks with problems, same with any other brand. Nothing unique to Jeep. Jeep has had several software updates to their radio, which gets into your count of serious problems?.
Unread 06-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

Some people have a specific motivation and bias when addressing this problem, I love my Jeep but I don't like bias. A "few trucks" with problems is a bit of a misnomer. In some capacity or other every single jeep has issues.being stranded due to a failure that plagues every product is not a problem it's a flaw, having a fire start in a vehicle is a safety issue not a problem. Having your poorly written code nullify a keys ability to start the vehicle while your wife has your baby in her arms outside a mall 50 miles from home, not a "problem" it's a failure, not having the parts to repair these things instantly while understandable due to the logistics, pathetic. Buying a $50k vehicle and having the defcan deactivate the entire Jeep, no runny no more, as a result of running over a palm from on the highway, daily occurrence here, total crap. Off road vehicle my ***. How about replacing the head, read total engine failure on a huge percentage of the entire production run? I'll tolerate a window motor failing, or a radio going black, even a few squeaks and rattles..but you gotta stand up taller on when you spend 50,000 dollars and know where your money goes.. I love my jeep but wouldn't buy one without a lifetime warranty and even then a reliable vehicle I would never call it, as there are more than one safety related issues that would leave a wife and child sitting on a curb. Even owning one for the term of the warranty only guarantees you a rental when not if you are sitting in the dealer waiting for service at the worst dealer network in the U.S. Yes it's just a "normal" thing these days to have problems, like all companies but I put value and respect above all else and as the premier, non SRT, vehicle at a dealership the back up is not there like it should be nor is the regard for the consumer on Fiats side.. Heck your buying a vehicle who's profits leave the country. The corvette is a $70k+ vehicle at a dealership that sells and services $20k vehicles, yes others too, but the flagship vehicle sits next to a $16k aveo, and while the dealer is fully capable of doing the work, they are used to dealing with customers that spend a third of what vette owners spend, and I think they need to bring the whole standard up to $70k levels but at $50k for a jeep, you should feel like a king not a shuck getting a ride to the rental agency. I'd rather buy from a dealer/manufacturer that has a higher standard of service. I love my jeep it's beautiful and rides better than any other jeep ever, I love the design and wouldn't pick anything besides a '15 to replace it or an SRT, and it's been flawless except 3 small issues and minus all 3 instances where it was a no start. Those sucked bad enough. I've owned dozens of chryco products, I put 200k on my last heavily modded WJ, It was plagued with small "problems" but started every time. Be honest and prepared. The forums are where people vent but I call BS on this being the norm or even close to acceptable. Sorry this is my vent. But invest wisely.
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop View Post
In some capacity or other every single jeep has issues.being stranded due to a failure that plagues every product is not a problem it's a flaw, having a fire start in a vehicle is a safety issue not a problem.
I don't understand this rambling?

My 2015 JGC has never been in the shop and my daughter's 2014 JK has only been in the shop for scheduled maintenance and a broken windshield.
Neither has ever failed to start.
Everything functions properly every day.

Jeep sells about 1000 Grand Cherokees a day and I think if everyone of them had a systemic failure, you would see considerably more complaints on this forum than you do now.
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
maznonno
2012 WK 

My 2012 overland has 73,000 on the clock and has had no issues but its scheduled services, I am the 2nd owner and it runs and looks brand new!
This is my 4th jeep and not my last
Unread 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
JeepGC73
2013 WK 

I've only had to replace a gas cap on my 2013 Limited. 47k on the odo, and that's all that's gone wrong. It is my first Jeep, and won't be my last. For comparison, my old car was a 4Runner, and its transmission failed after a month. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
Unread 06-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

Let's break it down, as it's fairly linear reasoning.

"In some capacity or other every single jeep has issues" The recalls span a large enough number of vehicles to warrant this general statement so I thought you'd be able to discern the overkill in the word, "every". I should have been clearer for the hyper literal, forget the recalls, jeeps have a history of TSB'S and massive unreported issues that don't get elevated to a TSB that plague the crap out of them. I'll be less vague for you single siders, Jeep sucks at quality control and has never delivered a final draft product and in doing so a large percentage of them have or develop serious safety issues, but not every one of them. I love youthful owners

"being stranded due to a failure that plagues every product is not a problem it's a flaw, having a fire start in a vehicle is a safety issue not a problem.
What don't you get, a window regulator is a small issue, anything that causes a person to be stranded or injured, extreme case, is dangerous, the difference between a small annoyance and spending a week at the dealer or leaving your loved ones stuck in the rain is massive. I've had a Jeep in my life for 30years most times two or more and always one newer DD I assure you my attitude is closer to valid than bias. The WK2 is the pinnacle grand and a gorgeous vehicle, but you know that.
Unread 06-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Thanks for calling me "youthful" since at my last birthday I turned 67.

I learned a long time ago, "never say never and never say always (every)" because you will be proven incorrect.
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
jacko15
2014 WK 

Here we go again...
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
wyat72
2011 WK 

I'm on my third Jeep and sixth Chrysler product. All have been reliable. The stuff that has broke, I broke doing things stupid things. Other stuff that I have replaced has been general wear parts.

This isn't my first jeep, and it won't be my last.
Unread 06-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

If you like the GC ... Go buy one.....we have 4 2014/2015 GCs ( two are Overlands) in the neighborhood. We all love them .

They replaced ;

1) GMC Denali
2) Two Jeep WJs with > 165k each
3) Acura MDV

All ours are V6s
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #14
MidLifeinMI
2012 WK 

As a short-time owner of a 2012 Limited (only a week) and having experienced a taste of the reported problems (fuel pump relay recall, without an available fix), my initial impressions are - go for it! Unless the issues increase and become chronic, I think the upsides to this vehicle far outweigh the occasional nuisance issue. This truck is such a delight to drive!
MidLifeinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #15
Sturgie525
2015 WK 

You will always find more negatives than positives when searching the internet. I am on my second, first was a 2012 and now I have a 2015. I have loved both. It's like googling a medical condition....google will likely tell you that you are going to die. That's my $.02 when using the internet for reviews.
Sturgie525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.