Cloth vs Leather - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Cloth vs Leather

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

My GC

Is my first vehicle with leather seats. I have always preferred cloth. Seats in my GC are more comfortable than in my Element. However they arent as comfortable as my Recaro cloth seat in my old BMW.

Bottom cusion could use a little more padding and the bolstering could be taller to hold you in better. If I could have got cloth with options I wanted i would have gone with cloth.

Its PITA these days to switch over to Recaros with airbags etc. Need to sit in the drivers seat of 2012/13 GC SRT and see how they feel. maybe get one from a salvage yard. Or might look into a Recaro.

Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
tdbmd

The folks that have mentioned difficulty with cleaning the cloth seats, is that with black seats or a lighter color?
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbmd View Post
The folks that have mentioned difficulty with cleaning the cloth seats, is that with black seats or a lighter color?
I have had mud, sand, dirt, soda, food and other junk on the seats. Never had a problem cleaning them. I have cleaned them by hand with retail cleaners and have had them shampooed. Of course they look the best if theyre shampooed but after some hard abuse the seats still look great.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
MickinNY
2013 WK 

My first test drive in a Jeep had the cloth seats & my first impression was very positive....really comfortable. I ended buying the Laredo X because it had some upgrades I wanted. (leather seats wasn't one of them) This is my 1st vehicle with leather & if I had any quibble about it, I'm not overly impressed with the comfort they offer. They're not terrible by any means, just not what I expected in a option package costing over $5000. Especially when the base cloth seats felt more comfortable. I agree with a comment already made, they could use more cushioning in the seat area. That to me is where they're lacking a bit. The upgraded leather seats in the Limited did seem more comfortable when I drove one.
For me anyway, the cloth seats felt more comfortable than what I have & if given the choice, likely would have gone that route. But overall I'm very happy with my first Jeep, so I'm OK with it.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
tdbmd

So, do the cloth seats have a different shape/padding than the leather seats? I have sat in the cloth version but not the leather.
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
txwest
2012 WK 

Quote:
So, do the cloth seats have a different shape/padding than the leather seats? I have sat in the cloth version but not the leather.
I find that the leather seats have a similar, however not as agressive, side and seat bolster to the cloth seats in the old WJ. My '99 Laredo had some intense bolsters on it, but they had good padding and the adjustment made it easy to drive 4-6hrs without any discomfort.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
The cloth seats felt like they had more cushioning in the seat area & thus more comfortable than what I have. But again, the upgraded leather seats in the Limited also felt more comfortable when I drove that one. Then again, who knows if the seats have changed at all from the '13 vs. the '14.
Bottom line, you'll have to sit in different models & decide for yourself, since it is very subjective.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.