Chrysler Pentastar V-6s to get turbos and direct injection, sources say - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Chrysler Pentastar V-6s to get turbos and direct injection, sources say

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 04-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
matthewh

Chrysler Pentastar V-6s to get turbos and direct injection, sources say

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ection-sources

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Chrysler+Pentas...2C+sources+say

So will a turbo 3.6 be an option for the 2016 GC?

matthewh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Bent8
2011 WK 

Looks like they are going the way of Ford and the eco-boost line.
Lots of horses from smaller displacement means the power comes screaming at higher RPMs. I prefer my Hemi where lower RPMs gives similar, yet less noisy power.
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Those articles are from 2014!!!
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
2kg4u
2014 WK 

They are developing a turbo 4 cylinder, and twin turbo 6 cylinder.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
divisionbell77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
Looks like they are going the way of Ford and the eco-boost line.
Lots of horses from smaller displacement means the power comes screaming at higher RPMs. I prefer my Hemi where lower RPMs gives similar, yet less noisy power.
Torque hits far lower, 'power' comes from far lower RPM.
divisionbell77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
wyat72
2011 WK 

I don't think the grand cherokee will get the ttv6 next year.

I think the di 3.6 has been basically confirmed for next yeae though.
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
matthewh

What does direct injection get you?
matthewh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
wyat72
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh View Post
Usually about 5% gains in hp and mpg.
Unread 04-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Pentastar V6 turbo would be great and I'd be one to seriously think about replacing my 14 G.C. when/if it comes to be true. My guess is they probably will in order to offer something to compete with Ford's eco boost v6.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

Quote:
In FCAs 5 year plan, the next-gen JGC(2017 on sale late 2016) will be the first to receive the new 3.0tt Pentastar. Many details remain scarce, but I find it ironic that this is also when the new Maserati 3.0T goes into production as well.

Most sources indicate to expect well over 400hp. What is not readily available is whether or not the Hemi will be replaced(could go the Ford route and keep it around to please must have V8 buyers). I do know the 3.6 is due to receive new internals as well as DI for improved power and efficiency. Probably look for updates to the E.D. with more power and efficiency gains. Another biggie: What will become of the SRT? It is still the number one selling SRT product. But FCA has indicated Dodge to have SRT all to itself. ZF is close to releasing the faster, more efficient 8HP. The good news is that the next gen JGC is supposed to be far lighter and stronger, with high-tensile steel and use of aluminum for weight reductions.
Unread 04-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

They could change the JGC SRT name to the new TrackHawk name and offer it with the 6.4 and/or the 6.2 Hellcat engine.
Unread 04-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtonk View Post
They could change the JGC SRT name to the new TrackHawk name and offer it with the 6.4 and/or the 6.2 Hellcat engine.
True. Jeep did trademark that name specifically for JGC. Can you imagine a Hellcat V8, and a stout enough AWD system to handle the 650lb-ft of torque? Cayenne Turbo S...who?

If Jeep is able(and Im sure they are) to develop an AWD system that can handle that power, the JGC could end up being faster in the 1320 than the LXs, albeit much lower top speed.
Unread 04-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #13
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneLvr View Post
True. Jeep did trademark that name specifically for JGC. Can you imagine a Hellcat V8, and a stout enough AWD system to handle the 650lb-ft of torque? Cayenne Turbo S...who?

If Jeep is able(and Im sure they are) to develop an AWD system that can handle that power, the JGC could end up being faster in the 1320 than the LXs, albeit much lower top speed.
I think the articles have indicated that a Hellcat JGC would be 2WD only. They all ready have the drive train for that.
Unread 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyat72 View Post
Quote:
Usually about 5% gains in hp and mpg.
Unfortunately in a lot of cases it also gets you carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Right now I'm thinking I'd like to avoid any new Direct Injection motors for a while (unless they have a specific strategy to avoid/deal with deposits or a proven track record that they don't suffer them).
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Unfortunately in a lot of cases it also gets you carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Right now I'm thinking I'd like to avoid any new Direct Injection motors for a while (unless they have a specific strategy to avoid/deal with deposits or a proven track record that they don't suffer them).
D.I. is hit and miss. Ford's 4cyl Ecoboosts are plagued with carbon build up, although they won't admit. We've had 4 Fusion 1.6L Ecoboosts company cars at the dealer for carbon-related issues.

GM has had some success with their later model 3.6L V6s and 2.0Ts. I believe 2011 and later engines are better at fuel burning than first gens.

Hopefully FCA will employ the latest technology in direct injection. I believe that is why they are so "late" to the game. However, the 3.6 employed now is very competitive in power and efficiency.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.