Changes Resulting from UConnect Update? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Changes Resulting from UConnect Update?

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #31
BassAtl

Answers....sort of:
1. It depends...nice consultant-type answer. I have a 16GB, Class 10 card that contains about 2,000 songs in MP3 format, ripped at a high bit rate (higher quality equals larger file). So, you need to purchase a card that is large enough to hold as much music as you would like to have at your fingertips. Class 10 cards are faster to work with on the computer, but probably not much faster as it pertains to loading in the vehicle. There are evidently some limits to how many files the system is capable of reading off one card, so you are safer at 32GB and under.
2. Yes...and no. Yes, you can more than likely just put the CD into the drive and then the computer will prompt you for what to do with it. If it's a music CD, then you will have an option to "rip" or copy the music CD onto the computer. There will be settings in Media Player that you will need to set first, regarding the format and quality of the ripped music. No, you don't put the SD card in and click "burn." The SD card is just a storage device. So, once the music files have been created on your computer, you can literally just drag and drop or copy the files onto the SD card. As others have suggested, once you have the SD card loaded, use the small locking tab on the SD card to "lock" the card before you insert it in the vehicle. The UConnect system is somehow corrupting the SD cards if left unlocked.
3. How you organize your music is totally up to you. I think most do it by artist, then album. You should find a tutorial on your version of Windows Media Player. Just be consistent once you pick a method or your music collection can become jacked up quickly.
4. Before you start ripping your music CDs in Windows Media Player, make sure you have the settings set up correctly, so that they will organize the music by your preferences. The default is probably by artist, but I don't use Windows Media Player, so I'm not sure. I use iTunes, and the default is by artist.
5. Just search the web for tutorials. I'm sure there are plenty of good videos to help you get going.

Once you get the basics down, it is really a pretty simple process, and if your vehicle is on order, then you have time to tinker with it. The UConnect system is new and definitely not perfect, so don't expect it to work consistently 100% of the time. It's just not there. You will undoubtedly experience bugs like the rest of us, but even in its current state, it is a great system.

One last thing....several have expressed big differences in the sound quality between various sources (radio, bluetooth, ipod, media). I use media more than anything else, and I found that I get the best sound by going to the equalizer and reducing the mid-range significantly. I think the mid-bass is way too heavy from these speakers, or it could just be something in the way the system handles the compressed music.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new ride.

BassAtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAtl View Post
Answers....sort of:
1. It depends...nice consultant-type answer. I have a 16GB, Class 10 card that contains about 2,000 songs in MP3 format, ripped at a high bit rate (higher quality equals larger file). So, you need to purchase a card that is large enough to hold as much music as you would like to have at your fingertips. Class 10 cards are faster to work with on the computer, but probably not much faster as it pertains to loading in the vehicle. There are evidently some limits to how many files the system is capable of reading off one card, so you are safer at 32GB and under.
2. Yes...and no. Yes, you can more than likely just put the CD into the drive and then the computer will prompt you for what to do with it. If it's a music CD, then you will have an option to "rip" or copy the music CD onto the computer. There will be settings in Media Player that you will need to set first, regarding the format and quality of the ripped music. No, you don't put the SD card in and click "burn." The SD card is just a storage device. So, once the music files have been created on your computer, you can literally just drag and drop or copy the files onto the SD card. As others have suggested, once you have the SD card loaded, use the small locking tab on the SD card to "lock" the card before you insert it in the vehicle. The UConnect system is somehow corrupting the SD cards if left unlocked.
3. How you organize your music is totally up to you. I think most do it by artist, then album. You should find a tutorial on your version of Windows Media Player. Just be consistent once you pick a method or your music collection can become jacked up quickly.
4. Before you start ripping your music CDs in Windows Media Player, make sure you have the settings set up correctly, so that they will organize the music by your preferences. The default is probably by artist, but I don't use Windows Media Player, so I'm not sure. I use iTunes, and the default is by artist.
5. Just search the web for tutorials. I'm sure there are plenty of good videos to help you get going.

Once you get the basics down, it is really a pretty simple process, and if your vehicle is on order, then you have time to tinker with it. The UConnect system is new and definitely not perfect, so don't expect it to work consistently 100% of the time. It's just not there. You will undoubtedly experience bugs like the rest of us, but even in its current state, it is a great system.

One last thing....several have expressed big differences in the sound quality between various sources (radio, bluetooth, ipod, media). I use media more than anything else, and I found that I get the best sound by going to the equalizer and reducing the mid-range significantly. I think the mid-bass is way too heavy from these speakers, or it could just be something in the way the system handles the compressed music.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new ride.
Thank you for such a comprehensive post. Most dummies don't know this and since I am nearly deaf, never bothered learning. I ripped my first album this AM and it was easy. Windows Media player recognized and put the CD under Albums and gave me the opportunity to rate the 17 songs contained from one to 5 stars. I guess this function then makes it easy to either drag the whole album to the SD card or select just the songs one wants. Some how I missed setting the quality as you suggested so the album ripped in the default setting. When finished I opened the toolbar and selected tools which revealed that the album took up 58MB at 128K which is fairly high quality. At that rate it looks like I could get about 18 albums per gig or at least 500 per 32gb card. Do you suggest I crank the quality a bit higher or leave it alone.
Again many thanks
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #33
BassAtl

128k is actually toward the low end of the quality spectrum. I generally rip at the highest quality setting available, which is 320kbs, or you can use the highest variable rate. Songs take up a much larger amount of space, but I'd rather have the music stored at max quality. Rip your CDs once, at the highest quality setting. Then, you can always convert them down if necessary, for use elsewhere.

Having said that, if you're only listening to these songs in the car, then 320 is probably not necessary. I used to convert my songs to 160kbs in order to fit more of them on a CD (early days when vehicles would play MP3 CDs but there were no other options), but now that I can use huge capacity SD cards, I just leave them at 320 or the high variable rate, strictly as a matter of convenience. Hopefully that makes sense. There is enough ambient noise, even in the quietest vehicles, to nullify the benefits of the highest quality level. Try the same song at a 128, 192, and 320 and see if you notice a difference. My hearing is far from perfect, but I don't personally notice any significant difference between 192 and 320.

Still, as a matter of convenience, just rip the CDs at max quality and then drag /drop onto the SD card in whatever organization scheme suits you best. Even at 320kbs, you can put an incredible amount of music on these SD cards. 2000 songs on my 16GB is approximately 5 days of music.
BassAtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

Thanks for the heads up
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #35
ronfin44

Uconnect is a joke. I bought a 2014 JGC Overland a month ago. At first everything was "fine". I registered with mopar, and added the wifi package along with the Ucconnect Advantage package that will start next year as soon as the trial ends. Everything was great for about a week, and then one day Yelp disappeared. The icon is missing, and nothing I do, or did will get it back. Had the system updated to the latest software a few days ago. Again, no Yelp. Called their techs and started a ticket, and they were clueless. No one seems to know what happened to Yelp, or why it magically disappeared from my package. It would be nice that they installed a system that worked the way they advertised it.
ronfin44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.