JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Change differential fluid at 18k?? Why?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/change-differential-fluid-18k-why-1519930/)

nolefansjeep 05-07-2013 08:24 AM

Change differential fluid at 18k?? Why??

OK I have had plenty of Jeeps and on the Wranglers heck you don't change it for 80000 or when you go through water. Why in the heck would you change the fluid every 18000 miles on a Jeep that damn sure isn't going off road or water fording?? I thought we were making progress and not regressing. Can someone explain why we would do this or is this some tactic for the dealer/Chrysler to make much needed money?

97HMCS 05-07-2013 11:05 AM

Is that according to the owners manual?

I read 24K (2012 O.M)

I thought it was more like:

Inspect the front and rear axle
fluid, change if using your
vehicle for police, taxi, fleet,
off-road or frequent trailer towing.

ColdCase 05-07-2013 11:56 AM

Why do you say 18K. You are suppose to check the level and for contaminants more often but the owner's manual says the diff fluid never needs to be changed on the WK2 unless you use it like a taxi. There are a few old school dealers and techs about that will try to convince you to change more often. Follow the owners manual recommendation and you will be OK.

nolefansjeep 05-07-2013 01:17 PM

Yea the techs were trying to say it was on the B service interval that it gets changed every 18000. I knew that sounded wrong. It only has 19000 on it and it is definitely just a mall crawler lol

97HMCS 05-07-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefansjeep (Post 15401425)
Yea the techs were trying to say it was on the B service interval that it gets changed every 18000. I knew that sounded wrong. It only has 19000 on it and it is definitely just a mall crawler lol

If you're not towing or doing anything extreme, you're probably good for life.

nolefansjeep 05-07-2013 01:32 PM

Just got off of the phone with them and they said it is something that their dealership recommends but it is not required. What is sad is someone won't ask questions and end up getting it done and shelling out $200 for something not needed. I hate tactics like that

97HMCS 05-07-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefansjeep (Post 15401479)
Just got off of the phone with them and they said it is something that their dealership recommends but it is not required. What is sad is someone won't ask questions and end up getting it done and shelling out $200 for something not needed. I hate tactics like that

Yeah, and than you have to wonder if they even actually performed the service.

WhiteOut 05-13-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefansjeep (Post 15401479)

Yeah! Dirty and underhanded people recommending something and trying to upsell in a sales position. What is the work coming to?

Kev M 05-13-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 15426784)
Yeah! Dirty and underhanded people recommending something and trying to upsell in a sales position. What is the work coming to?

WAIT, was that sarcasm?

Upselling is FINE - BUT lying and/or using scare tactics is dishonest and deceitful and is not.

ratmonkey 05-20-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefansjeep (Post 15400154)
OK I have had plenty of Jeeps and on the Wranglers heck you don't change it for 80000 or when you go through water. Why in the heck would you change the fluid every 18000 miles on a Jeep that damn sure isn't going off road or water fording?? I thought we were making progress and not regressing. Can someone explain why we would do this or is this some tactic for the dealer/Chrysler to make much needed money?

wrangler change intervals on diffs and transmission/tcase is 30k or 20k depending upon service schedule.
some car manufacturers like to tell everyone that fluids are now "lifetime" fills, when the company that builds the axle or transmission has other ideas about it.

stuff like ZF transmissions where audi says to never change the fluid and ZF says if you want the thing to last more than 100k you need to change it every 20k or every year.
the dealer you talked with is probably running with this kind of attitude and i actually think that's a good thing. there's no such thing as a fluid that will not degrade from use over time, especially not differential and transmission oil.

tjkj2002 05-20-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 15457837)
wrangler change intervals on diffs and transmission/tcase is 30k or 20k depending upon service schedule.
some car manufacturers like to tell everyone that fluids are now "lifetime" fills, when the company that builds the axle or transmission has other ideas about it.

stuff like ZF transmissions where audi says to never change the fluid and ZF says if you want the thing to last more than 100k you need to change it every 20k or every year.
the dealer you talked with is probably running with this kind of attitude and i actually think that's a good thing. there's no such thing as a fluid that will not degrade from use over time, especially not differential and transmission oil.

Yeah and why my diffs and t-case get fresh fluid every 6000 miles,but when you got $14,000 between 2 diffs and the t-case alone you kinda want to take care of them.Good old dino 85w-140 in the diffs and Valvoline VR1 syn 20w-50 in the t-case(Atlas).

ColdCase 05-20-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 15457837)

Two of my buddies put 200,000 miles on their wranglers without touching the fluids and without a problem (they would check the levels once in awhile). If your diff wears out in 80,000 miles it is not because of fluids. Manufactures like to play games with those bell shaped curves and interpret them for their benefit. I'd like to see the analyses both ZF and Audi is using to back up their claims... I bet they are hidden by a proprietary veil.

My understand is that wranglers are expected to be used in harsh conditions, or perhaps it just a marketing thing.... "these jeeps are so rugged you need to change the fluids often". The same diff in a dodge truck and a Jeep has different maintenance requirements.

There is no question that when you are running on the edge, with high temps and loading, you need to keep a closer eye on fluids.

tjkj2002 05-20-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 15458854)
Two of my buddies put 200,000 miles on their wranglers without touching the fluids and without a problem .

I doubt that,I'd belive 200,000 km's but not 200,000 miles.

ratmonkey 05-20-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 15458854)
Two of my buddies put 200,000 miles on their wranglers without touching the fluids and without a problem (they would check the levels once in awhile). If your diff wears out in 80,000 miles it is not because of fluids. Manufactures like to play games with those bell shaped curves and interpret them for their benefit. I'd like to see the analyses both ZF and Audi is using to back up their claims... I bet they are hidden by a proprietary veil.

My understand is that wranglers are expected to be used in harsh conditions, or perhaps it just a marketing thing.... "these jeeps are so rugged you need to change the fluids often". The same diff in a dodge truck and a Jeep has different maintenance requirements.

There is no question that when you are running on the edge, with high temps and loading, you need to keep a closer eye on fluids.

you can always find idiots like this not taking care of their vehicles.

even without towing the differential is the harshest mechanical environment on your rig next to the combustion chamber. the pressures created at the gear face contact patch destroys oil molecules with every turn of the gear set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 15459112)
I doubt that,I'd belive 200,000 km's but not 200,000 miles.

i'd wager they had some wonderful bearing whine and probably backlash in the 10-20 thou range by then. of course i would have expected them to have to drain everything to do wheel bearings well before that point. someone is exaggerating.

mbdtex 04-08-2014 02:14 PM

Actually we have a 2001 JGC Inline v6 with 300,000+ miles and the only thing that we've changed is the engine oil. Nothing else. And the only problem we ever experienced with it 2-3 times was the radiator fan breaking and having to be replaced. We've towed boats and trailers with it and it just keeps running and running and running. Only reason we keep it is because it's just so dang reliable.

The time now is 12:31 AM.