CB Radio Installed - 2014 wk2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
ccie-ar
2014 WK 

CB Radio Installed - 2014 wk2

Hi guys!

I thought i'd share my cb radio setup. Overall it was really simple. Here's a list of parts if you're interested :

- Midland 75-822
- FireStik SS-204A mount
- FireStik 4ft Firefly Antenna

Thanks for looking

Hiding the power cable that connects to the cig litter under the console.

velcro as temporary mount, might keep it if it holds up

needed to run a ground cable with the coax cable. they both run under the seats and mats. the ground cable splits off under the passenger driver seat and is grounded to the negative terminal of the battery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-24-2014, 09:56 AM
GRIM_REAPER_76
2014 WK 

Very nice and clean install I really like it. How do you like the CB? Did you have any issues with the antenna mount and the gap for your rear door?
post #3 of 17 Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 AM
ajrunke

What do you do with a CB radio? Is this a hobby thing like a Ham radio?

post #4 of 17 Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They are usually required for some of the club trail rides. There no or unreliable cell service in many areas of the country and CB/Ham may be the only way to summons help.

Otherwise its a hobby or part of a volunteer organization's equipment.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 17 Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM
perpster
2015 WK 

ccie-ar, Nice looking install. Did the antenna mount require drilling? Do you have a link for the product? How do you like that Midland CB? Does it get out much on the highway? Thanks.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Lark44
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
ccie-ar, Nice looking install. Did the antenna mount require drilling? Do you have a link for the product? How do you like that Midland CB? Does it get out much on the highway? Thanks.
I had the same radio in a JK. It works pretty good. Like most CBs it's all about a good antenna system. The only potential draw back is the speaker. Without running an auxillary speaker you need to keep the volume cranked up pretty good. In a quite vehicle like a GC I'd think it would be ok.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-13-2015, 06:26 PM
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark44 View Post
I had the same radio in a JK. It works pretty good. Like most CBs it's all about a good antenna system. The only potential draw back is the speaker. Without running an auxillary speaker you need to keep the volume cranked up pretty good. In a quite vehicle like a GC I'd think it would be ok.
I'm in a quandary. I have 2 legacy CB radios, a crappy Realistic magnetic antenna. If I'm going on a road trip I put the antenna on the roof, put the CB on the front passenger seat or on the floor laying against the tunnel on the passenger side. I mainly use the CB for alerts for upcoming hazards (weather, accidents, speed traps, etc.). Honestly, the foul-mouthed, over-stepped jawboners hogging the bandwidth is a turnoff. But, there's no substitute for a CB (not even Waze).

Anyway, I have the 2 radios and 1 antenna. And now I have a 2015 Overland. I'd like to equip it with CB. I could use one of the legacy CB's and get a good antenna, or get a new radio and new antenna. I really don't want to do any drilling into the new car, or major surgery to thread wires. The setup in the OP looks good, but it required drilling (not too much drilling it seems, but still drilling). It also apparently required running a ground wire from the CB mount to the car battery, but doesn't say how to get from the cabin to the battery.

I could get a better magnetic mount antenna for the roof, but am wondering about the weather stripping around the doors pinching the coax, or the weather stripping being damaged (probably silly, but I'm still in the new car "treat it gently" phase).

I do not want to mount the radio. The Midland 75-822 and Cobra 75 are interesting.

The radios I have are:

Midland 13-882C (1976 manufacture). It measures approx. 6" x 8" x 2.25". Has volume, squelch and delta tune knobs, and a knob for channels 1-23 (no higher channels). It also has a Noise Blanker switch and an Automatic Noise Limiter switch (not that I ever found either switch useful). This radio has a meter. It doesn't say SWR on it, but it has 2 scales: "Power" which reads 1 to 5, and "Signal" which reads 1-9. Is the "Power" scale actually SWR? The manual calls it an "S/RF Power Meter" but gives no instructions for it. I don't have a separate SWR meter.

Realistic TRC-479, Model 21-1519 (no date info). It measures approx. 4" x 6 " x 1.25". Has volume and squelch knobs, and a knob for channels 1-40. Red LED channel readout, but nothing else. No meter.

Realistic CB is much smaller and much lighter than the Midland.

Antenna is Radio Shack Archer magnetic base whip. The whip is about 30 inches long, the base is about 8 inches high.

I'd love to hear advice/suggestions specifically geared to the WK2 2014/15 GC. One question is whether the 2-row glass roof leaves enough effective metal roof for a ground plane for a magnetic roof mount (I would put it near the shark fin GPS antenna at the rear, to use the vehicle's forward mass).

Thanks!
post #8 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 AM
perpster
2015 WK 

Do you guys/gals have any advice for routing the coax cable from the roof near the GPS antenna and through the hatch (without drilling) to cause the least pinching of the cable?

It seems the top corners have the most clearance with the hatch opened and closed. The top edge of the hatch/spoiler seems to pivot down a bit when fully open, with a pretty tight clearance, so it looks like a pinch-prone location. (And also an impossible location for a trunk lid mount).

Once inside the cargo area, is there a good way to run the cable from cargo area to center console? I was trying to figure a way to snake a cable between the frame and the interior trim, but it looks like some disassembly required, and I'm not sure what to disassemble were I to go that route.

Would love to be able to run the cable into one of the existing pathways on the hatch for the 3rd brake light but that's probably not feasible (or is it?)
post #9 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 07:30 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
I mainly use the CB for alerts for upcoming hazards (weather, accidents, speed traps, etc.). Honestly, the foul-mouthed, over-stepped jawboners hogging the bandwidth is a turnoff. But, there's no substitute for a CB (not even Waze).
So I never really understood the point of a CB until you said this. How does it work exactly? How do you ensure you hear those various bits of information?

Can you be aware of any and all speed traps if you have one?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 AM
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
So I never really understood the point of a CB until you said this. How does it work exactly? How do you ensure you hear those various bits of information?

Can you be aware of any and all speed traps if you have one?
You can hear and talk to others on the road who have CB radios. Some of them will be up to a few miles ahead going in the same direction, some will be coming from the opposite direction. If an event is happening (bad weather, bad traffic, accident, speed trap, etc.), those with radios can broadcast the information and you can hear it, and vice versa. On most interstates CB channel 19 is used for this (and channel 9 for emergencies).
post #11 of 17 Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Morax
2014 WK 

I used to have CB's in my vehicles, but now today, since not many are still using them, I find that the information on speed traps, accidents or weather is limited. Mind you, I have not picked one up in a while, so maybe some have returned to the hobby...Perpster, you still find CB more informative than WAZE on the road?

2014 Overland Tech - ECO
2011 Overland - HEMi - Sold!
- Phil -
post #12 of 17 Old 01-20-2015, 01:54 PM
WK2Kev
2014 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
They are usually required for some of the club trail rides. There no or unreliable cell service in many areas of the country and CB/Ham may be the only way to summons help.

Otherwise its a hobby or part of a volunteer organization's equipment.
If you do Jeep Week or a Jeep Jamboree CB's are mandatory.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 PM
dsyzdek
1996 ZJ 

I bought that same Midland radio for my ZJ in November and I like it.

ccie-ar, are they any problems with the antenna bouncing against that tail light?

1996 JGC|ZJ|4.0L|4X4|
Hit by idiot on day 5 of ownership 2015 JGC|WK2|Overland|3.0 Ecodiesel|4X4|
post #14 of 17 Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 PM
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morax View Post
I used to have CB's in my vehicles, but now today, since not many are still using them, I find that the information on speed traps, accidents or weather is limited. Mind you, I have not picked one up in a while, so maybe some have returned to the hobby...Perpster, you still find CB more informative than WAZE on the road?
It has been my experience that on interstates and major highways where there are trucks, there is useful CB traffic.

It has also been my experience that once you get on less well-traveled interstates and major highways, WAZE is often useless -- no one else around using it. BTW, someone recently told me that some law enforcement officers go on Waze and mark speed traps as unreliable, not there, or whatever Waze calls it.

I like to cruise with both CB and Waze, as well as a Garmin NUVI with custom POI's of speed traps. Defense in depth.

Have an old CB radio and crappy old antenna that do the job, but with the new GJC I decided to treat it and myself to a new setup. The Midland and the Cobra all-in-the-handsets are especially interesting since the GJC cabin has so little spare room for a separate radio unit.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM
perpster
2015 WK 

In the meantime, here's how I did a temporary magnetic antenna install:

Got the K40 and its Magnamount. Simple to put together.

Put it on the roof, next to and just to rear of, sharkfin built-in antenna. There is not enough room between the sharkfin and the liftgate spoiler to put it directly behind the sharkfin. It's at about the 5 o'clock position relative to the sharfin, viewed birds eye.

To my very pleasant surprise, the coax cable fits in between the liftgate and the body without being pinched at all! By putting it at the upper corner it does not get contacted at all by the gate open, closed or opening or closing. It's easy to keep a finger on the cable when open/close to make sure it stays in the corner.

I routed the cable under the rod that connects the gate piston, and then down, between the rear tail light plastic and the cargo area lip.

I then routed it down and horizontal along the bumper "deck". A few inches toward center from the corner, the rubber liftgate gasket gets softer and the coax fits with minimal impingement.

Inside the cabin, I ran it between the rear seats, pushing it down into the space between the 60/40 seats, under the rear floor mat, and along the hump. It comes up just past the front passenger seat belt receptacle.

Was able to tune the K40 easily, getting all channels to about 1.7 SWR, give or take. I could get lower SWR on some channels, but then the SWR's would go above 2 on other channels. So, I left it where they were all under 2 across the board. I was able to get decent radio checks with truckers a few miles away. I was picking up transmissions from over 10 miles away, but they couldn't hear me (or ignored me).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.