Canadian Diesel WK2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Canadian Diesel WK2

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
JSAR
2014 WK 

Canadian Diesel WK2

After looking at the pricing available on line for the 2014 GC diesel I had to verify it at the dealer. Sure enough, in Canada they want 5 large over the V8 for the diesel. In the Summit that puts you close to 70 grand for a GC. And to top it off, you don't even get a CD player. That will cost you $200 for a single CD unit. I really thought this truck was my next vehicle, but I am feeling a little shocked right now.

You can buy a lot of other classy vehicles for $70,000. The Touareg is starting to look better, although you can't get a block heater in it no matter how hard you try. And it wouldn't compare off road.

I'm wondering how the other Canucks here are viewing it. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I saw the order sheets.

Call me disappointed. Nice looking truck though.

JSAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
boyvan
2012 WK 

You are right, in Canada we pay premium on cars. My 2012 Overland was listed for little over $56K and when I brought it down to $51K, I thought that I was getting a good deal. Compare that to the US prices that people discuss on this forum.....those prices in the States seems like a steal....lol.

I am definitely not surprised at 14 GC Diesel prices. You just gotta wait and it will come down. Now US and CDN exchange rate has been very close to par yet we are still paying premium prices. Some manufacturers had also warned to blacklist US dealers if they sold brand new cars to Canadian customers. There has been numerous reports on it almost everyday when it first became public.

Your other option is to import a used GC Diesel from the states. Paperwork is not hard or you can hire a broker and pay them a small fee and they will do all the paperwork for you. Some dealers sell cars with 500-1000KM on it so they can sell it to the Canadian customers and these cars come with warranty and everything. One drawback is your resale value will significantly go down since it is a US vehicle. I live 15 mins from the border and I am definitely going South for my next vehicle.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Isn't there some kind of tax or surcharge on new vehicles "up north" that pushes the prices higher than in the US?
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

I'm down in the Toronto area.
I checked out the Limited version of the diesel.
Base price is about $66,000 plus taxes and interest.

I spend a lot of time driving all over the city here , the funny thing is I don't see many of the old 3 liter diesels on the road.
I think that's curious in a town of over 5 million people.

The diesel carries 3 major risk for us Canadians.
1-resale ( you will take a huge hit)
2-follow up service (not enough familiarity)
3-Purchase price (New)

That said, anyone who lives near the U.S border go for it!. Buy it in America its a great value over there.

My $0.02!
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
Isn't there some kind of tax or surcharge on new vehicles "up north" that pushes the prices higher than in the US?
From what I know....not really. There has been lot of talk, news investigation, etc and they all said the bottom line....the prices are high in Canada is simply because the Canadians will pay. Maybe we are too polite to bargain....lol.

I am sure you will find a lot more better articles but all manufacturers used to blame the exchange rate. Ever since the dollar is at par....no one wants to even appear in front of the camera.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-shopping.html

OP - You might want to check this website - http://www.carswithoutborders.com/ there is a fourm for people to ask questions about importing vehicles. Good Luck
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
I'm down in the Toronto area.

I spend a lot of time driving all over the city here , the funny thing is I don't see many of the old 3 liter diesels on the road.
I think that's curious in a town of over 5 million people.

The diesel carries 3 major risk for us Canadians.
1-resale ( you will take a huge hit)
2-follow up service (not enough familiarity)
3-Purchase price (New)
I agree with you on the second and the third point. But not sure if the first point is true for all Canadians.

I live in Vancouver, BC and from what I know....diesels here are in demand. Before pulling the trigger on my 12 Overland....I had looked at a 2010 Diesel Touareg. The only thing that stopped me from buying that was because they were asking too much for it. Condition of the Touareg was bad (and it was only 1 year old back then)....the previous owner had leased it and he probably should have leased a cube van....lol. I still checked almost all the Metro Vancouver VW dealers to compare and I could only find 1 other diesel Touareg. This doesn't mean people weren't buying diesels....this meant that people didn't want to sell their diesels.

My brother bought a brand new VW Jetta Diesel almost 12 years ago and he loves it. His friend who works at the dealer told him that their diesels are bought by people who plan on keeping it. No one wants to lease a diesel vehicle simply because of the higher price. I looked at the stats and the guy said that 40% of the Touaregs sold are Diesels but only less than 10% come back within the first 4-5 years. In my brother's case....he now has over 250,000 KMs on it and he thinks he can put another 100,00 easy before any major repair is required.

I do agree with you that maintenance cost are higher on diesels. And not every mechanic will touch it. But I am sure the dealers that sell diesels have the skill to repair it should anything go wrong. For Jeep Diesel.....its just a matter of time before all dealers are fully trained. Diesel engines are new so it will take time for the dealers to get their techs trained. But I highly doubt that will bring the diesel prices down.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
I agree with you on the second and the third point. But not sure if the first point is true for all Canadians.

I live in Vancouver, BC and from what I know....diesels here are in demand. Before pulling the trigger on my 12 Overland....I had looked at a 2010 Diesel Touareg. The only thing that stopped me from buying that was because they were asking too much for it. Condition of the Touareg was bad (and it was only 1 year old back then)....the previous owner had leased it and he probably should have leased a cube van....lol. I still checked almost all the Metro Vancouver VW dealers to compare and I could only find 1 other diesel Touareg. This doesn't mean people weren't buying diesels....this meant that people didn't want to sell their diesels.

My brother bought a brand new VW Jetta Diesel almost 12 years ago and he loves it. His friend who works at the dealer told him that their diesels are bought by people who plan on keeping it. No one wants to lease a diesel vehicle simply because of the higher price. I looked at the stats and the guy said that 40% of the Touaregs sold are Diesels but only less than 10% come back within the first 4-5 years. In my brother's case....he now has over 250,000 KMs on it and he thinks he can put another 100,00 easy before any major repair is required.

I do agree with you that maintenance cost are higher on diesels. And not every mechanic will touch it. But I am sure the dealers that sell diesels have the skill to repair it should anything go wrong. For Jeep Diesel.....its just a matter of time before all dealers are fully trained. Diesel engines are new so it will take time for the dealers to get their techs trained. But I highly doubt that will bring the diesel prices down.
That's a great example of Diesel loyalty.
I work with a guy that feels the same about his VW Golf Diesel 370 000km(1998)still going strong.

I few months ago I was looking at the JGC diesels.
I did a search on Autotrader.ca for JGC diesel.
The result showed 398 JGCs for sale.
Only 19 were diesels.

What scared me was ...2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel Limited(92000 kms). $26 000.

Found $26 000 a bit low.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
JSAR
2014 WK 

I didn't think you could get the diesel in the Limited. I'll have to build one of those on line and check it out. I would disagree with you on the resale value though. I think it would retain good value.

I'm really overdue for a new work vehicle, but every time I start looking I get so pissed off with the whole process I put it off. Maybe I'll just give up on the SUV and buy an A6. That would be $70,000 well spent! Hell, if an A6 would work, why not a Boxster....
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
boyvan
2012 WK 

I think its just a matter of time before they start to offer diesel engine in all trims. If I had to do it again with a diesel engine....I would buy a Laredo and build it with options that I really will use. Hopefully they will charge the same amount for a diesel engine regardless of the trim. It wouldn't make sense if they were to offer diesel for $2000 on Overland but $5000 on Laredo.
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
JSAR
2014 WK 

I'm with you on that. I wish the top four wheel drive system was available in lower trims. You're forced to buy a Summit to get it I believe. Same with the stereo. There's apparently a HK system- only on the Summit.

It looks like I'll be waiting for the diesels to hit the stores before deciding. It's almost like they don't want to sell vehicles. Think of how many Laredos they'd sell if they put the diesel in it. It's similar to the G wagon story. People have been begging MB to put the diesel in it. I would buy a diesel G in a flash. Create a worker version. Sign me up.
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly, Jeep needs to put the CRD in the other trims if they want it to be successful. I'm not about to buy it as they have it packaged now. I might wait another model year and see what happens?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I'm going to guess that the diesel engine is in short supply and the bean counters want to maximize the company's revenue. They sense a pent up demand for the CRD, so will offer the few engines they have only in the most expensive, highest revenue vehicles. Once supply catches up with demand.. the business case changes and more money can then be had by offering the CRD in lower margin models. Common practice with Jeep, and I suspect most successful manufactures.
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #13
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Only solution

Is for Canadians to decide they would rather be part of the US or invade the US and takeover the country. Shouldnt be that difficult just send Labatts and hot women from Montreal. The legislature in Canada has to more effective than the US House and Senate and come on your PM at least has a set. Our president doesnt since the FLOTUS keeps them locked up aand for her own amusement.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
picard12

diesel is too expensive for Canadian market.
picard12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
jpillo
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard12
diesel is too expensive for Canadian market.
How so?
jpillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.