Can the Quadra-Lift be replaced with a regular suspension? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Can the Quadra-Lift be replaced with a regular suspension?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Question Can the Quadra-Lift be replaced with a regular suspension?

Can the Quadra-Lift be replaced with a regular suspension? Just asking because I plan to drive this Jeep for a long time and next time this suspension stops working I think I will just replace it with a regular suspension system. This suspension has just being expensive and a pain the last few months.

Here is my story if you want to read it (long sorry):

October 9th 2014, I took in my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee to the Jeep service department (to the only dealer in town) because my Quadra lift stopped working. In addition I asked them to perform recalls P14 and p36, both completed without an issue. The diagnostic from the Tech mechanic was that the pump/compressor was bad so a new compressor was ordered.

October 20th 2014, I picked up the Grand Cherokee from the dealer, paid the cost of $2180.20 (part plus labor), tested the Quadra lift suspension, everything seemed to be working fine. The morning of October 21st I notice that my front suspension was sagging. Turned on the vehicle and the suspension went back to normal. The morning of October 22nd the same thing happened so I took it to the dealer where tech identified leaking lines to both front suspension air bags. So new lines were ordered for a cost to me of $309.55 (parts plus labor). I don’t think I should had paid for them since they were not leaking before but I just wanted my car back.

October 29th 2014, picked up the Grand Cherokee from the dealer after they replaced the lines. I went to test the suspension and it just wouldn’t do anything. The only thing it did was to flash the suspension button lights or give a message to service suspension.

Took it back in the week of November 3rd, don’t remember the exact day, tech checked it out, service advisor called me later that week saying that everything was ready to go. I get there tested the suspension and it does nothing again. They ordered a new compressor.

New compressor arrived on the week of November 17th but I was not able to take it in until November 21st. They finished swapping the compressor on the 28th (according to them it took them along time since I didn’t have an appointment and they had other cars to work on). Tested the suspension and again nothing just the flashing button lights and service suspension message.

December 1st, dropped the vehicle at the service department. They gave me a dealer car for me to drive (nice of them). Yesterday December 9th, the service advisor called me saying that they got it working but they are getting a suspension temperature message that they should have it ready today December 10th. Today I get a call, that they can’t get rid of the temperature message and that they are working with Chrysler engineers to get it resolve.

To be continued...

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I have not heard of anyone doing that, all the parts are not available over the counter, you may need a donor vehicle. All the A arms and such are the same, but struts, shocks and associated brackets are different. Then there is the computer, its probably going to be throwing faults and warnings all over without a reflash and the program installed is based on the VIN... but I dunno. I guess we wait until someone tries it. Its been talked about now and again. But the better choice may be either a lifetime warranty or trade it for a steel spring version.

Sounds like the local dealer is not that experienced with the QL. You may have had a slow leak that eventually burned up the compressor.

Here's a thread with perhaps another blown compressor, although it worked again.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...wered-2836314/
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

The most cost effective way to swap the suspension from QL to "regular" is likely to trade the vehicle in on a JGC that doesn't have QL...
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
kryogen
2011 WK 

Tell me about it.... if I had known before I would have gotten the extended warranty the day I bought the jeep (used). It cost me 2000$ to fix the stupid compressor that died after 30k miles (3 months after I paid 40 000$ for the 30K miles jeep).
POS system if you ask my point of view.

I am selling the jeep when that extended warranty is over. Not worth the trouble.
Reg shocks cost nothing to change, and springs last the life of the car.
That air suspension looks like a nightmare of money to keep working.

So far mine works.... I had overheat errors before it died.
Now I don't care, I have an extended warranty until 6/120k KM, so it can break as much as it wants, I'm not paying for it, but in 3 years, I'm selling that jeep.
Unread 12-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
it_felt_so_good

The whole Quadralift idea sounds like a nightmare in general. So many things that can potentially break. Sure there are people who have the QL and have zero problems but then there are people who have a million problems with it. I'm coming from the JK world so my opinion might be bias but there are 2" budget boosts available for Wranglers for like $200. The idea of having a $10,000 QL option to raise your vehicle a whole 2" is cringe-worthy.

2015 WK2
it_felt_so_good is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Unlike the JK, the WK2 is a road/tow vehicle with some off road capability. The suspension has to be sophisticated to not compromise road manners or Jeep wouldn't sell many. Its mostly German (MB) designed. Folks that want big tires lifted off road cheap and dirty monsters look at the JK, where those of us that to highway look at the WK line. There was a lot of discussion when QL first came out in 2011 and there are plenty of advantages for those that need them. Park level for easy entry/exit, ORAII level for changing oil without a lift, sport level for better handling and mpg.... If you are afraid of QL, just don't buy it. Its like a $1500 option on vehicles that its not standard.
Unread 12-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
kryogen
2011 WK 

I prefer to park in OR2 when it snows so I don't really use the park feature :P
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
WaterDoc
2012 WK 

You may want to talk to a lawyer who specializes in the Lemon Laws. You may now be over the hump of qualifying and might even get some of your repair money back.

This suspension is a real fiasco when it goes bad. I am glad I have Lifetime Max Care
WaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

IMHO, at some point any of those systems will fail in due time, unknown by each. Lifetime warranty may be a good choice.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
Gunny7
2014 WK 

You know the new Half ton Ram has these air springs in the rear.
Plenty on the road.
We have the 2014 Overland.
Suspension looks pretty simple to me.
But it's not leaf springs.
To be honest I don't ever plan to go off road with this.
But I could I guess, a little.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Obababoy
2000 WJ 

This Lifetime warranty seems much better suited to a fully decked out Overland or Summit which would hold its value more in the case of it needing a new engine 10 years down the road rather than cutting a check for "actual cash value". Anyone agree?
Obababoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

I think anyone with the QL suspension that plans on keeping the vehicle should consider the lifetime warranty. That's the main reason I purchased mine.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
I prefer to park in OR2 when it snows so I don't really use the park feature :P
I'm a Jeep newbie with a 2015 Overland. How does one do this? Does the car retain whatever height setting the ignition is turned off at (unless overridden by the Exit/Entry setting)?
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yes it retains the height, I use ORA2 to change oil.. Convenient but I wouldn't crawl under without first putting some jack stands under.
Unread 01-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yes it retains the height, I use ORA2 to change oil.. Convenient but I wouldn't crawl under without first putting some jack stands under.
Thank you.
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.