can the GC be programmed to increase torque ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > can the GC be programmed to increase torque ?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
picard12

can the GC be programmed to increase torque ?

can the GC be programmed to increase torque ?

does the dealer have to do it ?

Can it be done by another skilled mechanic?

picard12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is nothing the dealer can do. A diablo tuner is available for the V8 that the DIYer or skilled technician can make some adjustments. Do a search for diablo and you should find some extensive discussions.
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
dizz1979
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There is nothing the dealer can do. A diablo tuner is available for the V8 that the DIYer or skilled technician can make some adjustments. Do a search for diablo and you should find some extensive discussions.
And search hemifever.com.
dizz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
picard12

why can't diablo be use on a V6? I saw it made for V8 hemi.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard12 View Post
why can't diablo be use on a V6? I saw it made for V8 hemi.
You may want to ask Diablo.

Its not the same software or firmware. It takes some capital investment to reverse engineer the OEM and the encryption and flash and boot loaders can be a tough nut to crack. Each model line has something different to contend with. Then there is sufficient testing. In spite of testing, Diablo's first effort was full of bugs and problems that now seem to be have cleared up.

I think there is just no business case given the capital investment involved. The ROI is better on other motors.

I'm sure if it was easy, a V6 tuner would be available. I'm thinking 99% of WK2 V6 owners could care less about a tuner, especially that they void the warranty. 90% probably don't know what a tuner is. WK2 enthusiasts typically migrate to the hemi. Now wrangler's bigest motor is a V6 I think, and I hear there is some kind of tuner becoming available. The WK2 V6 is the same motor, but the software is different. It took Diablo like three years to release a WK2 Hemi tuner after they released one for the Hemi RAMs.

If you want more torque than the V6 provides, the easiest thing to do is get a V8
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
picard12

V8 is too expensive and guzzle gas like the Titanic. there must be another way to tune the V6.
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
loveracing1988

Quote:
V8 is too expensive and guzzle gas like the Titanic. there must be another way to tune the V6.
There is, if the v6 doesn't have enough power for you, you obviously are towing a lot or racing. If you want more power than what the v6 offers and don't want to pay more gas for the hemi, buy a different vehicle, plain and simple. Either way you go your not gong to get great mileage.
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Now that is an exaggeration.

Not sure where you formulated this opinion. Tune the V6 for more torque, you will may be going through and engine every year and it will likely drink more fuel than the V8. I get a sense you may not have a good understanding of how modern cars and trucks work and are just posting opinions based on emotion not backed up by any data or reality.

The WK2 is a truck and trucks use more fuel than cars and are more expensive. If you are unwilling to pay the price, stay with cars... perhaps a hybrid will more suit your needs. Engines that make power either drink more fuel or have a very high entry fee.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
TitanFlyer

Quote:
Ugh... well, opinions. Anyway, I bought the V8 for the power and sound. I only drive about 2000 miles a year as I travel for business and work from home the other couple days. When we go out as a family its usually in the mini van honda truckster.

Anyway, back the V6 and tuning. I would think that engine is pretty wrung out already at almost 300 hp and no turbo. If you could get more out of it, you might be pushing it over the limit of what its safely capable of. The V8 is probably close too, but has a little more wiggle room. Its not like the V8 can do 450 HP with a tune, its very very small gains. Now, strap a SuperCharger to it or a Turbo (either engine to be honest) and as long as the internals hold up, you can make it shine.
TitanFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

The bottom line likely reason there isn't a tuner for the V6 is...limited or no demand. The majority of folks who have an interest in that kind of thing (and who are willing to pay for it) are performance buffs who live in the "big V8" world. Even for the Hemi V8, the audience is extremely limited.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.