Calling All Snow Driving Experts - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Calling All Snow Driving Experts

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 01-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #16
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Yesterday I drove my new Overland on a mix of ice and snow .... It was raining at 28 degrees!

Salt trucks were MIA so the road ( RT1) was slippery and a Lexus and a Ford Explorer met their death in front of me.

I was extremely pleased how the Jeep handled the situation. Just baby it and follow the advice in the other threads. My '02 GC handled great in the snow.... This '14 even handles better.

Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #17
Kev M
2012 WK 

You've already gotten pretty much all the advice you need, I'd only add one thing.

If you're familiar with dirt the BIGGEST difference is that IF you let off the throttle dirt is going to stop you, maybe it will take a foot or two with locked or nearly locked brakes, but it will stop you. ICE is a COMPLETELY different thing, and you might slide a few feet or possibly, with a little downhill, you could go for 100 yards or more. That's the single biggest difference...
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Give yourself twice as much time as you normally would, or maybe even more, so you don't feel rushed and take a shortcut from any of these tips.
2011 Laredo X 4x4, ORA 1, Quad Trac II 4WD, Wild Country XTX Sport 265/70/17, American Racing ATX series AX188 Ledge, RRO 2.5 lift, PIAA 510 & 520 ATP Aux lights, Yakima roof rack, Mopar rock rails, dealer OEM hitch, RR winch mount and brush bar, Smitty 10K winch, RR pre-runner skid plate, slightly de-chromed.
DirtyTires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyTires View Post
Give yourself twice as much time as you normally would, or maybe even more, so you don't feel rushed and take a shortcut from any of these tips.
And watch out for all the idiots that don't...
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
ferntree

2014 WK 

Thanks one and all - some really valuable feedback here. It's actually everyone driving around me here that is the big worry. Seems every second car I see they are on the cell phone, texting, with a coffee in the other hand! Maybe I should get a Ram 3500 instead....
Appreciate all the help, and thanks too for the welcome. Means a lot!
Cheers
Greg

Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
n8ive
2012 JK Wrangler 

First turn your ESP off. Practice makes perfect.
n8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #22
zr2s10
2012 WK 

1. Go buy an old junker Grand Cherokee for dirt cheap off Craigslist.
2. Find a deserted stretch of road with no steep dropoffs.
3. Drive way too fast and total the junker.
4. Remember everything you just did wrong and enjoy your new Jeep!
5. ???
6. Profit.

Just kidding, do not do any of that! And #5 and 6 are just a South Park gag, sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Lots of good advice was already dealt, especially about being easy with your brake, throttle and steering. And enjoy that new oil burner when she comes in!
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
chartx

All good advice,

Something to add can be,

don't turn the steering wheel and brake at the same time especially for higher speeds and strong brakes. Either brake slowly and decrease your speed or make a turn. Driving in snow requires more planning ahead, if you see you need to turn ahead, first slow down before you need to turn the steering wheel; try to decrease your speed to make the turning safe; then make the turn.

remember ice is more dangerous than fresh snow and ice can be hidden "black".
chartx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #24
LouC
2007 WK 

All good advice, if you want to be able to stop and turn as well as you can go in 4x4 consider dedicated winter tires. I know many will say they are not needed but once you try them, its a BIG difference, I used to use Nokians but they got real pricey so I switched to nearly as good and a lot less expensive General Arctic Altimax (studded because we get frequent icing)....
And keep in mind, ABS, skid control, all of it is good, but none can actually increase traction, the only thing that can do that, is the tires. ABS in particular, does not stop you faster per se in snow and ice, it enables you to STEER, but as long as there is no traction the ABS will continue pulsing and you will not stop.
hak_lt_lg.jpg

ge_altimax_arctic_ci2_l.jpg

Unread 01-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #25
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Tips for Driving in Snow , Slush and Ice

Snow, ice and slush are the most slippery between 28 and 34 degrees because this allows a thin film of water to develop on top of the ice. This is temp they like to keep the ice at for speed skating since it is the fastest. Driving on packed snow when temps below 20 degrees is a completely different experience than at 30 degrees.

This works for driving on any surface the shinier the surface is the slicker it will be. Doesnt matter if the road is dry or covered in snow. Dull is your friend. Even on a road course you find more traction on dull pavement than on pavement polished smooth and shiny by racing slicks.

If you spin with ABS its uncontrollable. Both feet in or stomping the brake and shifting to neutral does nothing. You stop somewhere along an unpredictable tangent. Not fun. No ABS you stop in a shorter distance in deep snow. Wish there was some way of wiring in a switch for the ABS to turn it off and on. It was easy on my old 3 series.

Drive slow slower than you think is a good idea. Might take a little longer to get home but you will get home.

Pay attention to other cars around you. They will do some of the dumbest things you can ever imagine. Especially morons in 4wd pick ups and Suvs.
Absolute worse are Subie and Audi S drivers who think they are pro rally drivers.

Find a nice abandoned parking lot and practice driving in the snow and ice. Make sure it doesnt have any light poles you can hit or places you can get stuck.

All the electronic nannies just mean when you will lose traction in snow or ice and it will happen at faster speed. Big time no good.

Buy winter tires Vredstein, Michelin, Nokian, and Bridgestone make the best performing snow tires. When 12in means the difference between smacking the guardrail and not the price difference isnt important.

Dont wear heavy boots while driving. Change into a Topsider or something similar which gives you better feel for the pedals and the road. Wear a jacket not a long coat for driving. Why a long coat covers you legs and butt and you want to be able to drive by the seat of your pants.

Thinking about carrying a folding shovel and 25lbs of sand in rubbermaid tub.
A space blanket and hide some energy bars. Have an empty cup or bottle for melting snow for water. Throw some hand warmers in the glove box and spare gloves and socks. Consider purchasing one of those emergency hand crank radios/ flashlights for your GC or at the very least carry another flashlight to go with the rechargeable one.

Buy washer fluid for the garage at home and if the weather is going to be bad check your washer fluid. Remember a Noreaster can bring lots of rain which means lots of dirt, mud etc on the windshield. Not just for the snow.

By a 30 pack of toilet paper from Wallies World, a couple cases of your favorite cold beverages, some snacks and throw chicken and your other favorite foods in the freezer. Have cans of soup and etc and some means of heating them up in case you lose power. A Noreaster can be as bad as hurricane. Learn to make clam chowder, oyster stew and lobster chowder.
have a good bottle or two of Highland Single malt available as a reward when you finally get home.

Always have plenty of food for your dogs. Spot why are you staring at me. Spot!

Consider a generator wired for the whole house

Oh in the beginning of July do a post for hurricane tips.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #26
dan96max

I've always tried to control the car with the gas pedal in the snow and not the brake pedal. I always see people riding their brakes down hills and sliding all over the place. As soon as I get in my car I turn off overdrive (my pathfinder has a button for it) and then I stay in the lower gears. I barely ever touch the brake pedal unless someone in front of me slows unexpectedly or I'm at a stop light. Slow and steady with no sudden movements and very little brake pedal. Sometimes if I'm in a low gear to coast down a hill I will hit the brake just enough for the lights to come on so the guy behind me realizes I'm going slow. Theres usually a bit of a dead spot in the brake pedal that will light the lights but not actually apply the brakes.

That's been my strategy for the last 12 years or so in my current pathfinder and old XJ. All in CT winters. Neither car has had any kind of traction control or assists. Still looking for the right WK2 to buy but I expect to do the same thing once I get it. Snow tires are also a great investment. I hated the way my wifes AWD Volvo drove in the snow being that it's FWD based. This year I got her a set of snow tires and it's a night and day difference. It turns and stops now without plowing the front end through corners. I'm sure a Jeep with snow tires would be unstoppable.
dan96max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

The Problem with

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan96max View Post
I've always tried to control the car with the gas pedal in the snow and not the brake pedal. I always see people riding their brakes down hills and sliding all over the place. As soon as I get in my car I turn off overdrive (my pathfinder has a button for it) and then I stay in the lower gears. I barely ever touch the brake pedal unless someone in front of me slows unexpectedly or I'm at a stop light. Slow and steady with no sudden movements and very little brake pedal. Sometimes if I'm in a low gear to coast down a hill I will hit the brake just enough for the lights to come on so the guy behind me realizes I'm going slow. Theres usually a bit of a dead spot in the brake pedal that will light the lights but not actually apply the brakes.

That's been my strategy for the last 12 years or so in my current pathfinder and old XJ. All in CT winters. Neither car has had any kind of traction control or assists. Still looking for the right WK2 to buy but I expect to do the same thing once I get it. Snow tires are also a great investment. I hated the way my wifes AWD Volvo drove in the snow being that it's FWD based. This year I got her a set of snow tires and it's a night and day difference. It turns and stops now without plowing the front end through corners. I'm sure a Jeep with snow tires would be unstoppable.
Great point about using the brakes

With most modern cars and trucks is they dont allow you to drive using all the inputs to your advantage. By that I mean using all the pedals, the steering wheel and the gears. The electronic nannies feel they have to interfere

My WK2 on a snow covered exit ramp doesnt like to go into a controlled four wheel drift. I just cant get it to take the right set so when I reach the bottom I just straighten the wheel and gently apply the gas to go down the road. The electronic nannies. Oh no sir you are sliding we cant have that. My vehicle is safer and more under control than it is with all the electronic nannies helping.

But most folks dont have a clue about car control so maybe one day someone will come up with a controller to shut all the systems off.

Right now folks with no driving skills win which is 98%+ of the drivers on the road.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #28
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Make sure to give a good distance to stop and slow down around turns. Avoid heavy throttle and hard braking...Make sure your tires are good for the conditions and use snow mode! Keep a tow strap and winter clothing in the back of Jeep, have a cell phone, and pistol, well that's an option but what I do and last but not least use common sense. Take your Jeep to big empty parking lot with snow and learn the Jeep, slide it around, see how it performs. Also, please don't forget to run all Prius's off the road because here in Utah everybody that owns a Prius drives crazy in the snow and thinks there tanks! Today its a blizzard here, love driven our Jeep in the snow, handles it great, very impressed, Quadra-Trac II/Drive II is a great setup!
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
Thanks one and all - some really valuable feedback here. It's actually everyone driving around me here that is the big worry. Seems every second car I see they are on the cell phone, texting, with a coffee in the other hand! Maybe I should get a Ram 3500 instead....
Appreciate all the help, and thanks too for the welcome. Means a lot!
Cheers
Greg
Our RAM 2500 CTD sucks compared to the Jeep in the snow, heavy a$$ truck hard to stop! QuadradriveII rocks compered to the standard 4 hi/low x-case for sure!
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #30
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland_HO View Post

Our RAM 2500 CTD sucks compared to the Jeep in the snow, heavy a$$ truck hard to stop! QuadradriveII rocks compered to the standard 4 hi/low x-case for sure!
Thats funny. My Ram 1500 is light years ahead of my wifes jeep. While not quite as heavy as your ram I am able to go pretty much as fast as I want down the expressway and not even get a whiff of feeling like im floating on the snow. I am also able to outbrake her jeep by a considerable margin.
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.