Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Buying 2017 Trailhawk

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My 2005 WK 4.7 that I bought with 53,000 miles in 2010 cracked the radiator while driving and overheated to the point of blowing a head gasket if not worse this past Sunday. 175,000 on the odometer and it never left me stranded before. I also had a 1999 GC 4.7 for a couple years before. Since I've generally been very pleased with my Jeeps, I'm almost positive I'm going to buy my first brand new car ever in a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I've read a lot on the forum about them but just wondering if there are any problems I should look for early on? I'm opting for a hemi no doubt.

Also wondering with current rebates if anyone thinks I can get to around $43,000 before tax, tag, and title on a 5.7 trailhawk with the luxury group. Probably buying this week, I already have a "blank" check from my bank. I've capped my budget at $45k out the door. Any thoughts, comments, or insights are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

#2 ·
Its the end of the 2017 model year, dunno what the inventories are where you live, but dealers are selling from their stock until they can order and receive 2018s. So your choices could be limited. You may have to order a 2018 to get what you want. You can build/price a 2017 at Jeep.com and search area dealer inventories for the best match.

How far are you willing to travel? Dennis Dillan (Boise Utah) has a well optioned TrailHawk V8 that lists at $52600 that they will sell for $42836. Incentives come off that. Thats about the best you can expect to do. Incentive where Dillan sells is about $2000 cash I think. So there's a nice fully optioned Trailhawk for about $41,000 plus your travel costs.

Otherwise the truck you want has an invoice of about $48163. Typical FF discount is 2% under invoice, thats $47200 which many would consider a good deal. Dunno about your area but incentives here are $3000 cash, so brings you down to ~ $44163. That would be the most you should pay, but you could do better.

So you are looking at squeezing the dealer out of another $1000 - $2000. You probably can do it if you shop around, find one willing to eat into the holdback, and negotiate well... but then you could get lucky. Some dealers will match close to Dillan's prices ($1000-$2000) if they are hungry enough.

There are a couple prices paid threads about where you will find negotiating tips.

#3 ·
2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I've read a lot on the forum about them but just wondering if there are any problems I should look for early on? I'm opting for a hemi no doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
I picked up a 2017 TH back in November and it's been pretty solid ever since. I did have an issue early on with the gas door not opening when the button is pressed. You could hear the actuator but nothing happened, but it was easily fixed in 5 min on a TSB.

Only other thing that I had, which is also minor, was the Amplifier for the 9 speaker system had a faulty connection and needed to be replaced. The whole left bank of speakers went in and out with static. Replaced it and not a single issue since.

Take a close look at everything before you buy and make sure the body lines are true and that the doors open and close smoothly. the 2017s have been having issues with the taillamps tolerances being REALLY tight and some other small fit/finish things from a mass produced US domestic vehicle.

As long as you feed it quality fuel and get the regularly scheduled maintenance done, I'm sure you love yours as much as I love mine. It's gotten me out of a couple of hairy situations on the highway in the rain when other drives hydroplane.

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments. Dealership I was talking with about the one with the luxury group was in outer space on the price.

Thought I had a deal on a hemi with sunroof and they balked when we were $500 after I had told them my best and final (they still would have made money).

Reaching out to another dealer I've been in communication with to see if I can get a deal worked. I want my new trailhawk, but I also want a good deal!

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments. Dealership I was talking with about the one with the luxury group was in outer space on the price.

Thought I had a deal on a hemi with sunroof and they balked when we were $500 after I had told them my best and final (they still would have made money).

Reaching out to another dealer I've been in communication with to see if I can get a deal worked. I want my new trailhawk, but I also want a good deal!
I hear you on that one. How willing are you to some travel distance to find a good deal? I have some friends that are GMs here in Raleigh and Winston-Salem that could probably get you a pretty good deal, but V8s are hard to find, and most come with the Lux group.

Let me know if you have any other questions about rigs. I'm always open to help.

#6 ·
I just purchased a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk a few weeks ago. I used the Jeep site to find one in Rhino with the Lux package I also wanted. There was only one in the state at the time in Rhink with the Lux, so I drove a few hours to pick her up. I immediately took her to CO for a fishing trip with my son and am impressed with it so far. I missed being in a Jeep. Best of luck in your search.

#7 ·
I just purchased a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk a few weeks ago. I used the Jeep site to find one in Rhino with the Lux package I also wanted. There was only one in the state at the time in Rhino with the Lux, so I drove a few hours to pick her up. I immediately took her to CO for a fishing trip with my son and am impressed with it so far. I missed being in a Jeep. Best of luck in your search.

#11 ·
I don't recall any issue with the flashlight, my only advice would be to have it checked by the dealer.

#13 ·
That's my problem. I was initially looking at a Toyota TRD Pro or Off-Road Premium in Barcelona Red with KDSS, but neither are to be had anywhere close. So I ended up coming back around to look at Jeeps and saw the Trailhawk and that's where I'm at now. Sort of the same dilemma though. From what I understand Trailhawks sell pretty quickly. I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I've got a guy at $45,296 before TTL. Not a bad deal overall, just wish I could do better. I'm set on the Redline color, so they're either going to have to trade with another deal or go and get it. There are a couple in Houston that they've offered to go get and eat the cost of paying the driver. So since I'm set on this color with the V8 and Luxury package, they kinda have me by the nuts in regards to negotiating.

#15 ·
If you are wanting a Hemi Trailhawk, just a bit of advice. Cross the 4runner off your list. I traded a brand new 4runner Trail Premium for my WK2, the 4.0L in the Toyota is a dog. You could clock 0-60 times with a sundial...

#18 ·
The 3.6 runs pretty good, the 4.0 is a dog in comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.