Buyin new Jeep never owned one what to buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Buyin new Jeep never owned one what to buy

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
pawrk0221

Buyin new Jeep never owned one what to buy

Looking at buyin a new Jeep Grand Cherokee for my wife. Test drove a lot of diff SUV's and she liked the Jeep the best. Do not blame her I liked it the best also but did not tell her that because did not want to have an influence on what she drives.

My questions is what model should I really buy. We narrowed it down and she wants a white limited with the luxury group package. Do not really care about 20" wheels or upgraded radio. Was considering a Laredo but do not like how it is just an AWD and you can not lock in 4WD. With the Select Terrain you can lock in 4WD correct?? For about $2000 more is it worth it to get an Overland? I mean I highly doubt my wife will be taking it off-road where she needs to adjust the suspension. I guess bottom line is what is my best bang for my buck?

pawrk0221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The Limited is a nice vehicle. Every month the best bank for buck seem to change a bit. WK2jeeps.com is a good resource for all the models and option packages and invoice prices. Just pick the options you want and then compare model prices and value.

QTII is better than the base QTI if you are going to do a lot of poor weather driving and want the additional traction margin. There is no manual switch to lock the transfer case, but the QTII traction software will automatically lock it in some modes and depending on wheel spin. QTII also includes a low range capability, which locks and gives you a granny gear for off road or very severe conditions (or pulling a boat out of the water). If you want the ultimate in traction, look at QuadraDrive (only available on a V8). With proper tires, thats about as unstoppable in 10 inches of snow as you can get. The base QTI includes brake traction control, which applies brakes to spinning wheels. Works very well. QTI does not have low range, however.

Everyone has their favorite option package. I suggest looking at the adaptive cruise and cross path detection/collision avoidance (now part of the tech package I think). I'd want my spouse to have that safety, worth the extra $1500. You can lower Quadra Lift is for entry and exit (my elderly parents appreciate it) or raise it to get under and change oil. Its not useless on road and the air suspension smoothes over small bumps. If you decide you like all those features, perhaps an Overland would give you more bank for the buck, but get another opinion as I'm not all the familiar with 2014 pricing.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

Yeah, "best" bang for the buck is a moving target.

It really depends on your particular priorities.

We went with the limited because we prioritized Heated leather front and back, memory seats, QTII, panoramic sunroof, w/ a decent level of Nav/audio/backup camera type amenities etc, BUT DIDN'T want the adaptive cruise, quadra-lift, or power liftgate etc.

You simply need to decide what is most important to you.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
kkreit01

I think for a wifey's ride, QT1 is perfect. There's no buttons for them to mess with. QT1 is excellent for adverser weather, as it's always in 4x4. QTII is more useful if ever going off road. Just buy the model with the options/color you want. You'll be happy with either. I've never once been disappointed in our loaded Laredo X. I've never said, "man, I wish I had a limited".
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
I think for a wifey's ride, QT1 is perfect. There's no buttons for them to mess with. QT1 is excellent for adverser weather, as it's always in 4x4. QTII is more useful if ever going off road. Just buy the model with the options/color you want. You'll be happy with either. I've never once been disappointed in our loaded Laredo X. I've never said, "man, I wish I had a limited".
Good point, simple goes a long way. For a street cruiser, you give serious thought to the expense of QTII only if you need low range.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

2014 option packages

You really have to read them. I dont use sunroofs at all so I started with the Laredo X and added 26X package, ORAI and the tow package. I rarely us a nav and prefer to get a Garmin for around a $100 with lifetime updates than have an in dash. I didnt need 20" wheels but did need the skidplates offered in ORAI package.

If you dont need the V8 for towing the V6 will do. I have no issues with the V6 in the areas cut throat traffic. Driving in Rome is stress free comapred to DC area.

Took me a few months to realize duh I have 115v AC in my GC and I dont need the car adapter for my cell.

Now I do need the low range and skidplates because at least once a week I am driving up and down gravel and dirt road to my heridng instructor's place and driving across 15 acres of field to work a herding trial. ORAI package was about $900
Now I really didnt need the leather but no other way to get the options I wanted . I would have preferred cloth Recaros. I am warming up to seat heaters . I also need the HVAC vent in back for the collies.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
eibyer

If it's still available on the newer models, All Weather Group gives you QTII without paying for the higher trim.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Best bang for your buck is between the Laredo X and Limited. If you really want xenon headlights, auto-rain sensing wipers, option of a power lift-gate, memory seat settings, heated 2nd row, and the option to get the 730N nav system...get the Limited.

I have a Laredo X and the only things I wish it had were the xenons and memory seats.

Here is a discussion of Limited vs Laredo X with more detail: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...u-get-1178940/
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

See http://wk2jeeps.com/2014/2014_wk2_fe...ailability.pdf for model comparisons.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

My wife drives a 2 door sports car normally
She has driven about 2000 miles in my Fully loaded Limited Hemi with me sitting on the passenger side ( I only let her drive because I'm super tired ha ha).

These are some of the things I hear her say while she is at the wheel...

I love the sunroof, so different when its open
This cruise control thing is pretty cool, I haven't touched the brakes in half an hour
oh, I can set the seat to what I want and store it
I will never use that knob thing (selectrac) (ha ha)
I didn't know I was going so fast
cant believe the wipers come on by them self
I don't like that reverse camera
the heated seats and steering are nice, I like how they come on by themselves
This is pretty good on gas
I'm not sure what you mean by shudder ,I didn't notice anything.

Just some stuff she says about driving my rig.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
nyrhockey23

we bought a Laredo X for the wife and she is in love with it. Some of the other toys/amenities on the higher models are nice but not worth the price to us, especially for the use she'd get them out of them.

Her priorities were sunroof (she loves those things) and nav/backup camera so Laredo X it was.

One thing about girls (at least a lot of them) is they don't notice differences in cars. I was telling her the other day how the 20" rims/wheels look really nice (X comes with 18" standard) and she had no idea different wheel sizes existed on the GC's.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
bennyd27
2013 WK 

I just bought a Jeep for my wife. Got the Laredo 4x4 with the E-Group, Bluetooth/UConnect, Trailer/Tow, and All Weather Cap group. Agree the QTII isn't really that big of a deal, but we live in CO and are in the mountains often. If you're in a warm climate and don't plan on any off-roading, the QTI is more than enough. Lastly, we got full leather/heated front seats installed for $1200 (we got this put into the sale price) as opposed to stepping up the 26X package with a bunch of buttons and gizmos she definitely doesn't need. Also, now with the after market leather installed, it is MUCH nicer than the base leather you get with the X (ours is comparable to the Overland with perforated leather). And, we have it on a 3yr/36000 warr as well. 18" wheel would have been nice, but replacing the 17"s might be a tab cheaper. Our all in price with the leather was $33,100.

Lastly, I got a quote for an Alpine DVD touchscreen headunit w/ Nav and backup camera for about $1500 installed if you want to build your X package with higher quality components than the dealership.
bennyd27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
pawrk0221

Thanks to all that replied. Ended up buyin my wife a 2013 GC Limited in deep red crystal with the Luxury Group this weekend. Sweet ride I must say. She loves the options it has and specially the panoramic sunroof. Got a pretty good deal on it I think. Retail was $41,985 and beat them down and got it for $35,787. Looking at what the GC limited 2012's where selling for with round 15,000 miles $32-$34 thousand I think it was a good deal. We will see how it is after we put some miles on it.
pawrk0221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Nice to hear it worked out for you. May you and your wife have many happy miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.