Buy Bright Roof Rails for 2014 Laredo (base)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Buy Bright Roof Rails for 2014 Laredo (base)?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 11-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
pt2005
2014 WK 

Buy Bright Roof Rails for 2014 Laredo (base)?

Hi all,

I have a Laredo base without the bright roof rails. I've been searching online (eBay, Amazon, and even Mopar) to purchase the bright roof rails (those in the Larado X, or Limited, etc that would fit into the Laredo) but no success. The Laredo I have already has the housing attached to the roof. Looks like I can screw the bright rails into the housing if I can find them.

Any pointers are much appreciated. Thanks

Unread 11-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
kstt

I think Mopar missed the boat on this. When I bought my base 2013 Laredo, it was, "okay, throw in a factory roof rack, and we have a deal." I had the black rails, which are essentially just skids. The dealer ordered the rack, and couldn't make it fit. They ended up buying me an after-market Thule, which lips behind the tops of the door frames. I which I'd had them throw in a tow hitch, instead!
Why would Chrysler make a $30 thousand dollar Jeep that WON'T accept there roof rack?
kstt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I wonder if the 2014s changed roof rails? It was pretty easy to swap in 2011-2013s if you used a couple tricks posted here awhile ago. The Jeep procedure has you drilling out riv nuts, which turns out to be unnecessary. It is bolt on, maybe takes 30 minutes a side.

Mopar used to sell a kit, but you may be able to buy the rails at moparparts or some other outlets. The rails seem to be ~$95 each.

http://moparonlineparts.com/repair-parts.php

On a 2011-2013 the part numbers were 55079172AG and 55079173AG The G is the rev number and may be higher now. You could try to search for those part numbers.
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

See this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...rails-1519422/
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstt View Post
I think Mopar missed the boat on this. When I bought my base 2013 Laredo, it was, "okay, throw in a factory roof rack, and we have a deal." I had the black rails, which are essentially just skids. The dealer ordered the rack, and couldn't make it fit. They ended up buying me an after-market Thule, which lips behind the tops of the door frames. I which I'd had them throw in a tow hitch, instead!
Why would Chrysler make a $30 thousand dollar Jeep that WON'T accept there roof rack?
I agree on them missing the boat & IMHO, they did it by using these flush mounted rails, instead of going with raised rails. I've found the raised rails to be much better for using either Thule or Yakima towers that I've used in the past on other vehicles. Yakima has towers for these flush rails, but I find them more difficult to install & not quite as secure as the old towers. Plus you need an adapter kit for the Jeep, which Yakima will send for free. Not Yakima's fault as I see it. The problem is Jeep going with flush mounted rails.
That's my only nitpick so far, otherwise I love my Jeep. IMO they should have gone with raised rails. And they could/should have extended the rails another 6" or so towards the front, as there is room to do that.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Most folks don't use roof rails. We never did on our WJ. Why saddle those looking for a base cost leader with $200 excess baggage. But its probably just marketing, an enticement to move customer up from the cost leader model to a higher line model. There are a few of them. Its a marketing thing done my just about all companies for... oh... 100 years or so. Thankfully the rails are an easy thing to add.
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I'll piggy back on this albeit slightly off topic - Do Yakima/Thule have towers that fit in the flush rails or does Jeep have special towers for them?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.