Brake Controller - Center Cubby Mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake Controller - Center Cubby Mount

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Brake Controller - Center Cubby Mount

This is a Tekonsha P3, seems like a few guys on here have them.
I didn't want a knee knocker, really wanted it in the center cubby thing, with the folding door.
It has to be hard mounted though.
I also wanted it suspended from the top, so there would be room for my phone for Pandora.

Lets cut to the chase, I welded this to the Tekonsha bracket, I'm sure you could do something similiar with bolts if you don't weld.

That allowed me to make use of the top mounting bolt for the cubby hole.
There's a PDF on removing trim available here:
WK2 Jeeps - Interior Trim Removal

I dunno what this is a picture of... Maybe showing that the lid of the cubby comes off.

I drilled a few holes in a slot in the top near the LED, right in front of the mounting tab, so my brake controller mounting tab could slide through that.

Like this:

Which puts the mounting assembly here.
It wouldn't sit pretty with the iphone adapter plug's fat trim ring, but removing that made a good spot to bring the brake controller cable in, so that trim piece had to go.
Bonus was, it made the cable for the phone a little longer, I taped up the pigtail up in there cause with it's new found movement I didn't want to rub and coating off the wires.

Here's another picture I took, not sure why. This cupholder panel has to come out before the cubby comes out. Radio faceplate thing too.

Do this with these:

Then it's the gray plug, up above the OBDII port.

Done. Door doesn't hit, controller mounted, plenty of cable for the phone.

Hope that helps somebody.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
mx71
2013 WK 

Fancy!
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Very nice!
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Nice job! I did leave my P3 as a so-called "knee knocker", but that neat stowaway install of yours is just great!
Unread 08-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
phoenixblue

Question

This is great, but I have a question...

I am looking to install the P3 in my 2013 WK2, and the very first "Important Fact to Remember" says:
Do not mount or activate RF generating items (cell phones, two way radios) near (less than 12") the brake control

Have you had any issues since your is very close to you radio and even closer to your cell phone? Or do you have any comments on this? I would like a clean install similar to yours, however would hate to interfere with the functionality of the brakes on my trailer(s).

Thanks!
p3.jpg

phoenixblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.