Brake controller - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake controller

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Brake controller

Got the Hemi with the tow package. Is the tow package also supposed to come with a pigtail for a brake controller?

zman

Unread 12-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So nobody is using a tailer brake with there Jeep. For those that got the towing package have you seen a pigtail come with it?
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
charheep
2011 WK 

i have one. came in a plastic bag with the owners manual.
charheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
zapp1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charheep View Post
awesome just ordered my wkii with the hemi, and tow, glad to know it comes with a pigtail
zapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
mjw930

So, no one has yet to add a brake controller? I'm curious whether there's a plug under the dash or bare wires like the others have gone to.

Since there's a pigtail I assume there's a plug. Can someone post a scan of the instructions that came with the pigtail?
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charheep View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did not get one with my jeep and will have to get one from the dealer unless the one from my 2010 Ram works (I bet it will). I did see a plug underneath but wanted to make sure, it appears like this should be a easy hookup.

zman
Unread 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
wjs81866

I had mine installed at the dealer, I know they had a "special" plug they used.
Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
mrpositraction

Isn't the plug in the glove box for the Ipod hookup in the center console?
Unread 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
Isn't the plug in the glove box for the Ipod hookup in the center console?
No, the Ipod/iPhone connector is in the center cubby and its factory installed and only if you have the 730 headunit.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
RT12567

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee brake controller install

I am going to be installing a brake controller on the vehicle, but I am trying to find out more before I go pulling panels off. It is not as easy as it was with my 2004 grand cherokee.
I like the specs on the Tekonsha P-3 proportional brake controller. There is just not a lot of info on the pig-tail. You would think that a vehicle that comes with a "TOW" control button on the dash and a dealer installed receiver would come complete with the wires!
The last resort will be to hard-wire the thing. I am sure the blue wire is under there and is labeled. Yeah, right.
I called my dealer and asked him where the pig-tail that is supposed to come with the kit went. He'll get back to me.
I will let you know what I find out.
RT12567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
RageOfFury
2011 WK 

The blue brake controller wire is hidden behind the glove box...according to the wiring harness instructions anyway.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82212196AB.pdf

I did have a quick look under the hood, I did see a blue wire going through the passenger side firewall.
RageOfFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
mjw930

Blue wire????? You don't need to be looking for an blue wire....

If the vehicle has the factory tow package then there's a 4 pin connector just above the large connected attached to the top of the parking brake pedal. That attaches to a pigtail harness that came with your vehicle in the glovebox. You wire that pigtail to the controller then mount the controller and plug in the cable to that connector above the brake pedal.

Here's the instructions that came with the cable in my glove box. If your windows sticker says Tow IV Package then you should have this pigtail. Also check to see if the 7 wire plug on the hitch has a wire harness connected to it, that indicates you have the factory wiring harness installed and have no need to follow any of the instructions on that attached pdf in the previous post.

NOTE: there's a typo on the instructions, I jotted down the correct wire color.
wk2_brake_wires.jpg  
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
WK2011
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
The blue brake controller wire is hidden behind the glove box...according to the wiring harness instructions anyway.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82212196AB.pdf

I did have a quick look under the hood, I did see a blue wire going through the passenger side firewall.
The one you are showing are for Jeeps with out a tow package.

If your JGC has the tow package then the pigtail wire thats in the the glove box (not all came with it...mine didn't had to buy it from the dealer) will plug into the "Gray" connector thats up under the dash adjecent to the brake pedal. It is "clipped" in above another wiring harness.

The 2010 RAM truck will NOT work because its the same connector. I believe its the female end and you need the male end. For example the pigtail thats in the glove box is the same connector thats up under the dash in the RAM (they are opposites one vehicle has female end under dash and the other has the male). Why they did it this way makes no sense to me.
WK2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
RageOfFury
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2011 View Post
The one you are showing are for Jeeps with out a tow package.

If your JGC has the tow package then the pigtail wire thats in the the glove box (not all came with it...mine didn't had to buy it from the dealer) will plug into the "Gray" connector thats up under the dash adjecent to the brake pedal. It is "clipped" in above another wiring harness.

The 2010 RAM truck will NOT work because its the same connector. I believe its the female end and you need the male end. For example the pigtail thats in the glove box is the same connector thats up under the dash in the RAM (they are opposites one vehicle has female end under dash and the other has the male). Why they did it this way makes no sense to me.
Ah...right on. Yeah I have the pigtail, found it with the spare tire of all places
RageOfFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
Ah...right on. Yeah I have the pigtail, found it with the spare tire of all places
i have the Hemi with the tow package and the connector was not in the glove box. I guess it is time to look around the vehicle and try to find it hiding somewhere.

Is this something that is supposed to be there? If I cannot find it, can I call the dealer and get one at no cost?
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.