Brake controller - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake controller

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
e2360
2011 WK 

Wk Brake controller

Has anyone added a brake controller yet to a 2011? Also, does anyone know if the trailer connection uses the "computer" for a circuit breaker like on the Rams or are all tabs fused. I looked and did not see seperate fuses for trailer marker/brake/turn lights. The Rams use the power center with computer control for some of these circuits. After several faults the computer shuts it down and a trip to the dealer is needed to reset. On my Ram, I added fuses to allthe out puts that did not come with them.

Thanks

e2360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
xsivhp

Did you ever get a BC hooked up?
xsivhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
e2360
2011 WK 

No, not yet. Tow season is over for now. If and when I do I will post any problems or tips.
e2360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
wjs81866

Just had mine installed at the dealer. Went well and works great. Doesn't sound like it was a big deal with all the wiring already there I guess.
Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
xsivhp

Thanks guys.
xsivhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
02ovaland

Just got a 2011 Overland with the trailer package and looking to add the brake controller. Is it pre-wired for plug and play or does the dealer have to install the harness?

If the dealer must install, what is the cost?
02ovaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
TMOverland11

I just installed a brake controller to my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland I purchased at the end of 2011. In this discussion thread, it wasn't clear if everyone was resolved on the answer, so I'll offer my 2 cents to hopefully make it easier than the process I went through at the dealer (no one in the service/parts department had knowledge to assist me). Here's the easiest answer I can offer:

* For a factory-installed towing package on the Jeep GC, the in-dash wiring harness already provides a plug-in for the brake controller.
* The plug-in is located above the parking brake, above the cloth cover (see images)
* I purchased the wiring plug-in cable for my brake controller from eTrailer.com (part # 3045-P, Tekonsha Plug-in Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers @ $16.95 before shipping).
* Do some gymnastics to plug-in the adapter and you're all set to continue the installation of your brake controller.
img00059-20120409-1428.jpg   plug-view.jpg  
tekonsha-plug-3045-p_tn.jpg

TMOverland11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Alaska-HWY JK

Bigger than life but thanks, I have to put one in right away. This new Hemi will pull our 18' Aerolite way easier than the JK.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Ronliz
2012 WK 

TMOverland11

Thanks for those pics of the brake controller installation - where did you place your controller? Any pics?

Thanks
Ronliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.