Brake booster recall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake booster recall

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Brake booster recall

This morning on USA Today, Chrysler announces recall on Jeep G.C. and Dodge Durango brake boosters for corrosion and failure to work problem.

Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Looks like all 2011 - early 2014 boosters will be inspected/modified/replaced.
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
PhillyAnt

Do we have more info on this? I picked up my factory delivery yesterday and am wondering if it is something I need to be concerned with.

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Private message me if you want to learn how.

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
cjb
2014 WK 

What exactly is a break booster?.. Is that the master cylinder?
cjb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
Do we have more info on this? I picked up my factory delivery yesterday and am wondering if it is something I need to be concerned with.
No

Quote:
SUMMARY:
Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2011-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles manufactured from January 5, 2010, through September 8, 2013. The subject vehicles have a brake booster with a center shell that may corrode and allow water to get inside.

CONSEQUENCE:
The water inside could freeze and limit the braking ability of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will add a water diverter shield to the booster after the booster has been tested to confirm it can hold an acceptable amount of vacuum pressure. If the booster inspection confirms an unacceptable loss of vacuum pressure, the booster will be replaced. Repairs will be made free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in May 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's recall campaign number is P14.

NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
cjb
2014 WK 

Diverter?? sounds like something a shade tree mechanic would do and not a major car company! They should replace the entire assemply with one that won't rust in the first place. I've hear the 15 models will have new and inproved boosters.. oh well another reason not to but 2014 model. Hind site is 2020 :/
cjb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
Diverter?? sounds like something a shade tree mechanic would do and not a major car company! They should replace the entire assemply with one that won't rust in the first place. I've hear the 15 models will have new and inproved boosters.. oh well another reason not to but 2014 model. Hind site is 2020 :/
There was a recall on the JK's to cut part of the inner fender off so it didn't rub against the brake lines. A diverter sounds better than cutting part of the vehicle off.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

how will we find out if our particular vehicle is one of these.....will they send us something in the mail?
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Alaska-HWY JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
There was a recall on the JK's to cut part of the inner fender off so it didn't rub against the brake lines. A diverter sounds better than cutting part of the vehicle off.
The inner fender on a Wrangler is plastic, its not major surgery. Brakes or anything to do with them should be taken seriously. I had the hard pedal one morning backing the wifes Overland out of the garage. Didn't know what to make of it at the time. It hasn't happened again. Been following the thread on it here though.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
The inner fender on a Wrangler is plastic, its not major surgery. Brakes or anything to do with them should be taken seriously. I had the hard pedal one morning backing the wifes Overland out of the garage. Didn't know what to make of it at the time. It hasn't happened again. Been following the thread on it here though.
I know and that's why I had no problems with the recall. I was just using that as a comparison for those complaining.
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
how will we find out if our particular vehicle is one of these.....will they send us something in the mail?
They will mail you if your VIN is affected. I wouldn't expect any thing for another month or so.
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

At least this issue has been fairly addressed and they are taking responsibility to fix it. I blame it on bad quality control practices where ever they were built.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Second recall for brakes

Great QC and design from Jeep. Maybe they should take lessons from GM. Ooops wait I hear they hired the engineers who designed the switch for key to design the brake system for 2012 GC. Great work guys.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
TurboRush

^^^ hahah! I guess you've had your head in the sand with all the other non-GM recalls from Toyota and Honda among others recently.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
canistel
2012 WK 

Yeah, and the GM switch is not a GM switch, it was made by a third party supplier. GM's fault is that they didn't recall earlier, they had nothing to do with the design of the switch.
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.