BMW Salesman - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > BMW Salesman

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
RonP10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCjeepWK2 View Post
My dad is 62 and has always been a huge Toyota/Lexus/Japanese fan... and currently owns a 2010 Lexus ES and RX.

After driving (and looking at) my new black WK2 Hemi, he's ready to trade his brand new RX.

Toyota is really falling off in terms of styling (4Runner and RX, especially).
I agree I was more like your dad but much younger - lol. No offense. But I was a huge toyota/lexus/japanese fan too. But over the years i think Toyota has become a little arrogant due to the good sales numbers and quality of their products. I think they are more of a minmalist company when making cars now. Honestly the new 4runner interior is cheap and bland to me and they lack the features of a 40k SUV. Jeep has blown them out of the water due to this and I have no remorse for leaving the brand. All my cars have been Toyotas/Lexus. I almost went to Honda/Acura - lol. My freinds and family never thought I would buy an american car - lol. But the Overland is in my site and ready to pull the trigger - lol.

RonP10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
forkroot

FWIW - we'll be "trading in a BMW" on a new GC as well, although that's a bit misleading.

We're a bimmer/jeep family. A couple of years ago, we upgraded my wife's 2003 330Ci convertible
to a 2009 128i - but the dealer wouldn't give us a reasonable trade-in on the 330, so I kept it
and tried to sell it privately.

Now that I'm looking at replacing my 1998 GC with a new one, I'm going to trade in the BMW
convertible as it will be easier to sell the 98 GC privately.

--
Regarding the X5 - At least BMW doesn't pretend that they are very capable off-road - they
call them "SAV"s (Sports Activity Vehicles) - and yes the X5 would kick the GC's *** on a
track - but if I'm going to the track, then I'll take my BMW sedan which would destroy the
X5.

Unlike the X5, Cayenne, and any number of Japanese poseurs, underneath the luxurious trappings
of the GC beats the heart of a real off-road vehicle. A few years ago, we took the 1998 GC in
stock trim (it does have the off-road skid plates etc.) on a local trail where everything else we
saw was more seriously modified stuff. With care and coaching, we were able to make the trip
on a road that would've broken the wannabes in half. Surprised the heck out of the 4-wheeling
veterans who said they gained quite a bit of respect for the GC that day.
forkroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #18
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolky View Post
I turned in my BMW on lease this week (bye 335 coupe, you will be missed).

Anyway I was talking to the salesman that sold me it and he asked me what I ended up getting. I told him I got a new GC and he told me I was the second person this week to turn in a BMW for a GC. He also said he has noticed they are starting to loose some business but not to Audi, MB, Lexus, etc... He said the majority of the people who are moving away from BMW seem to be going to the American car companies.

Just thought that was interesting.
I have an '07 X5 4.8i (wife's car) that is out of warranty this month. I've looked hard at the WK2 to replace it (I also have an '06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, and have owned other Wranglers and GC's), but knowing the 8 speed transmission is around the corner, combined with the fact that my two American first year purchases were lemon-law buybacks (one a '99 GC Laredo V8, the other an '00 Yukon XL) has me waiting another 9 months or so.

An 8 speed with a turbo diesel, air suspension (I also have an allroad) and a front LSD... with a year under the belt? I'll throw down for that.

No TD, an ancient slushbox, and first model year? I'll wait. I don't lease or finance, so I don't have any pressure in that regard, and my use is either local (trails, camping, boat towing) or long distance (2k+ mi trips, speeds 100-130) from the Northern Rockies and Canada down to San Diego.

(Caveat: Before anyone goes ape**** about those speeds, I defy anyone to drive on the freeway through most of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, etc without ever pushing 100. It's like telling your airline pilot to slow down because you don't feel comfortable... You never do, because there's no danger, and you want to get to where you're going. Still scared? I've never in over 20 years of the same had an accident, offroad event, or incurred any vehicle damage. It's plenty safe, if you're careful and properly equipped. Yes, I've had blowouts at high speed. No, it's not that dangerous is you aren't retarded and don't develop Parkinsons' mid-incident.)

My next car will either be an X5 with the turbo diesel, or a WK2 with a turbo diesel - if they ever offer it again. The Cayenne is the fugliest SUV ever conceived (former 997 C2S owner - not a Porsche-hater), and the Audi Q7 is an understeering pig; I'll only trade the road manners of the X5 if I can have the 'go anywhere' prowess of a Jeep... with acceptable road manners and the ability to travel long distances at relatively reasonable turbo diesel mpg (and turbos don't lose power at elevation).

So, depending on your needs: buy now and work out the bugs for the rest of us. We thank you. My best hope is no one gets a 'lemon'... I just don't seem to have that kind of luck.

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Sarge_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge_ View Post
No TD, an ancient slushbox, and first model year? I'll wait. I don't lease or finance, so I don't have any pressure in that regard, and my use is either local (trails, camping, boat towing) or long distance (2k+ mi trips, speeds 100-130) from the Northern Rockies and Canada down to San Diego.
The only thing I have to say about the speed is that you won't get 106MPH out of the WK2 without a mod. The speed limiter kicks in at 105.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge_ View Post
(Caveat: Before anyone goes ape**** about those speeds, I defy anyone to drive on the freeway through most of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, etc without ever pushing 100. It's like telling your airline pilot to slow down because you don't feel comfortable... You never do, because there's no danger, and you want to get to where you're going. Still scared? I've never in over 20 years of the same had an accident, offroad event, or incurred any vehicle damage. It's plenty safe, if you're careful and properly equipped. Yes, I've had blowouts at high speed. No, it's not that dangerous is you aren't retarded and don't develop Parkinsons' mid-incident.)
There are also no speed limits up in the air and (most) airline pilots are trained to fly and also rely upon an extensive air traffic control system to keep us safe. Even if you were trained to drive at high speeds, doing so on a road with other drivers who aren't is dangerous. The best driver on the road is no match for the dumb teenager not paying attention to anything while texting and driving at highway speeds, or worse. Also, do you drive that fast with family and/or friends riding along? I'll have to make it a point to be extra careful the next time I visit Wyoming.
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
MightyLampshade

1979 CJ7 

My uncle repairs and replaces car interiors as part of his business and sometimes he'll have an entire cloth OEM cloth interior at his house. The Toyota ones are crap plain and simple. Parts of the panels are almost see thru and the overall quality just feels very lacking. One of the nicest quality interiors I've seen him have was actually out of a Grand Marquis
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkroot View Post
Unlike the X5, Cayenne, and any number of Japanese poseurs, underneath the luxurious trappings
of the GC beats the heart of a real off-road vehicle. A few years ago, we took the 1998 GC in
stock trim (it does have the off-road skid plates etc.) on a local trail where everything else we
saw was more seriously modified stuff. With care and coaching, we were able to make the trip
on a road that would've broken the wannabes in half. Surprised the heck out of the 4-wheeling
veterans who said they gained quite a bit of respect for the GC that day.
Don't lop the Cayenne in with the X5 and he other "posers" as you call them. The Cayenne/Touareg package equipped right is a match for any stock Grand Cherokee ever built. Options on the Cayenne include, Locking difs, electronic detachable sway bars, air suspension and active traction control (PASM).

Also, it's impossible to equate what you did in a 12 year old JGC with the WK2, they share nothing but a badge.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.