Blue Smoke on Start-Up? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Blue Smoke on Start-Up?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #76
stephenspann27
2014 WK 

Another huge puff today... 2014, 10k miles. It looks like this guys:

he said his #8 oil control ring was bad.

Unread 04-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #77
mbdtex

So, I just bought my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with a Hemi (15k miles) 3 days ago and this morning at startup... blue smoke... yeah talk about serious buyers remorse . So has anyone found a solution that works for this problem. This is really depressing since I was giving the WK2 the benefit of the doubt despite reading allot of the posts here on JeepForum

'13 - JGC - Overland Summit - 5.7 Hemi, 2wd
mbdtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #78
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

^^^ - Sounds like I have pretty much the same GC as you and no problems with blue smoke but I park it on level ground. Some say the smoke shows up after parking on an incline .. don't know. Also, a lot of folks, including myself, are finding out that the oil dip-stick shows oil level is at the low/add marker when it is actually full. I found this out after my 1st oil/filter change recently. This may be causing some unaware folks to overfill, which may cause some smoky exhaust issues, and maybe some oil usage issues as well.
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #79
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ovsummit View Post
^^^ - Sounds like I have pretty much the same GC as you and no problems with blue smoke but I park it on level ground. Some say the smoke shows up after parking on an incline .. don't know. Also, a lot of folks, including myself, are finding out that the oil dip-stick shows oil level is at the low marker when it is actually full. I found this out after my 1st oil/filter change recently. This may be causing some unaware folks to overfill, which may cause some smoky exhaust issues, and maybe some oil usage issues as well.
Exactly. If you put more than 7 quarts in then you will get the smoke. The dipsticks are wrong. 7 quarts bring it to the add line. When I put in 7 quarts, then the smoking stopped. Chrysler told me not to put anymore than 7 quarts no matter what the dipstick reads.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #80
mbdtex

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
Exactly. If you put more than 7 quarts in then you will get the smoke. The dipsticks are wrong. 7 quarts bring it to the add line. When I put in 7 quarts, then the smoking stopped. Chrysler told me not to put anymore than 7 quarts no matter what the dipstick reads.
Since my initial observation I haven't noticed anymore oil being burned (blue smoke). But I'm thinking about just going ahead and doing an oil change anyway despite the dealer having changed it already somewhat recently. I was going to put in Royal Purple 5W-20. Prior to this Jeep I had an m3 and when I first bought it 1 year old with 9k miles, it seemed to burn some oil as the electronic gauge reported a steady drop (albeit slowly) of the amount of oil in the engine, but eventually after driving it more and more I noticed that the engine no longer burned any more oil and the level stayed at a constant so I am going to give this Jeep the benefit of the doubt also before jumping the gun and trying to get the dealer to overhaul the engine to replace any gaskets.

Unread 04-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #81
stephenspann27
2014 WK 

I haven't noticed mine doing it in a while. I haven't changed anything.
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #82
DerangedO

See my post #73 from 12/14/13. I had the oil pan replaced in December 2013 with the redesigned pan and it solved the smoking problem until a recent oil change. I think they over filled it as referenced it other post here.

Go to the dealer and reference a Star Case#S130900012. Also Service Bulletin NUMBER: 09-002-13, DATEd: October 09, 2013
DerangedO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #83
mikeignasiak
2014 WK 

Wj Smokey

I feel a "little" better after finding this post. I just bought a 2014 GC Summit with the Hemi. I have a steep driveway and after it sat for a week while on vacation, I noticed a cloud of bluish white smoke on the first start up. I have not noticed it since thankfully.

Mine had a build date of 08/13 and currently has 1321 miles on the clock. Anyone think it is worth having the redesigned oil pan installed, or was this already included as of this build date?
mikeignasiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #84
mbdtex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeignasiak View Post
I feel a "little" better after finding this post. I just bought a 2014 GC Summit with the Hemi. I have a steep driveway and after it sat for a week while on vacation, I noticed a cloud of bluish white smoke on the first start up. I have not noticed it since thankfully.

Mine had a build date of 08/13 and currently has 1321 miles on the clock. Anyone think it is worth having the redesigned oil pan installed, or was this already included as of this build date?
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about it. I think, especially since your vehicle is so new, that there may be some gaskets or related that need to be "broken in". When I first bought my Jeep it was sitting on the lot for 2 weeks then I brought it home and it made a little puff of blue smoke when it was left at an angle. But ever since, [knock on wood] no smoke 2-3 weeks later. I wouldn't be worried about it unless it becomes something that is recurring on multiple occasions. But anyways, especially since you said you were on vacation and the engine hadn't run for sometime I wouldn't worry about it, just a rare occurrence, like spotting a yetti .

Unread 04-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #85
stephenspann27
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenspann27 View Post
I haven't noticed mine doing it in a while. I haven't changed anything.
Huge puff today. I had moved the Jeep in and out of the garage a few times prior, so like 20 second run time. Each time it smelled a little like oil burn but I didn't see any. When I started it up this morning a huge could. I guess the oil had gathered in the exhaust. So crazy to see a 2014 vehicle start up and smell like a 40 year old farm truck.
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #86
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Park nose up to see if it happens.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #87
stephenspann27
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Park nose up to see if it happens.
it was parked level in the garage.. and nose up in my driveway.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.