Blue Smoke on Start-Up? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Blue Smoke on Start-Up?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #61
AKHLK

I had the oil pan/windage tray warranty repairs done a few weeks ago and I can now confirm without a doubt that the vehicle STILL smokes at startup. I agree with peckmv, this is my last Chrysler product as well.

AKHLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #62
Eric_R
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_R View Post
Mine has done it 2 or 3 times since new. I can't figure out the trend of what makes it happen. But I can tell you that being on an incline has absolutely nothing to do with it. Ain't no hills here in Houston! Lol
Just to follow up on this - Mine has not done this since. It only did it 2 or 3 times, when it was brand new. I now have about 8,000 miles on it and all is good.
Eric_R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #63
csweep

My 2013 limited hemi is also smoking on startup-now 4500 miles. Has done it a few time just in my flat parking lot using the remove start. Over this weekend is was parked in my driveway - front up a bit - for about an hour, upon starting the smoke was just plain nasty. My 2010 hemi was destoyed by Sandy but it never had that problem, something has changed during the last few years and chrysler should know what it is!
csweep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #64
MrSanRamon

My 2012 5.7L (~9K miles) smokes when started, but it seems only if the nose is higher than the back. It doesn't seem to smoke if it sits level.

Does anyone else notice this?

Robert
MrSanRamon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #65
Chucko
2013 WK 

Mine 2013 Trailhawk smokes sporadically after being parked on an incline. Currently at dealer getting Oil pan replaced, Dealer says the're is a bulletin out for this. This is strike one. 3 strikes and it's a Lemon!
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Chucko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #66
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
Mine 2013 Trailhawk smokes sporadically after being parked on an incline. Currently at dealer getting Oil pan replaced, Dealer says the're is a bulletin out for this. This is strike one. 3 strikes and it's a Lemon!
If pressed, they are probably going to say normal operation, not a defect... no impact on performance, reliability, longevity. If you disagree, be prepared for spending a lot of time in court.

The manufacture can make improvements without implying there is a defect, as GM has apply done for ages.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #67
Chucko
2013 WK 

Oil pan replacement did not fix the problem. I have opened a case with Chrysler. Expect to hear from them today.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Chucko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #68
jeep4lisa

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep is with dealership now. We have taken it in numerous times for the blue smoke at startup. Our driveway has an incline and when parked in the driveway is when I have noticed it most. But not every time. Called Chrysler today to be assigned to a case manager. Thank you for the STAR case number, I think that helped getting them to take me seriously. Also found today a TSB 09-002-13 that is supposed to be out for this problem on another jeep website, www.**********.org
jeep4lisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #69
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep4lisa View Post
Jeep is with dealership now. We have taken it in numerous times for the blue smoke at startup. Our driveway has an incline and when parked in the driveway is when I have noticed it most. But not every time. Called Chrysler today to be assigned to a case manager. Thank you for the STAR case number, I think that helped getting them to take me seriously. Also found today a TSB 09-002-13 that is supposed to be out for this problem on another jeep website, www.**********.org
Posted a couple days ago here too:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...l#post16801809
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #70
nbridgeman
2012 WK 

Mine smoked on start up in a flat parking lot. Was only parked for 8-10 hrs.
nbridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #71
nbridgeman
2012 WK 

Didn't get it for the commercials. Got it to replace my f150 because it gets 20hwy mpg, can go more places, and the explorer is flacid as far as the throttle.

I am a ford guy myself and love the 5.0 ltr, but ford is too weak to put the bronco out in something more than a concept.
nbridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #72
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

I'll schedule an appointment at my dealer for this fix very soon. I have noticed that keeping the oil level 1/2 way within the acceptable oil fill range helps a little. I added a little oil last week to bring the level closer to the upper range before I left for our Moab trip. I parked on a slight incline when we went out to dinner one night and it smoked quite a bit after I started it. It was a decent cloud of blue smoke and smelled like burning oil when I backed up through it. This was a little embarrassing so I'm glad there weren't many people around.
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #73
DerangedO

5.7 Hemi smokes at start, parked on incline

I have a 2013 Durango 5.7 purchased in July 2013. Since new, Blue smoke on start when it is on an on incline, nose up. Random occurrence when cold or hot.

I reported the smoking to dealer and also about a quart of oil consumption on first oil change at 3500 mi. Negligible consumption on second oil change at about 7000 mi. Dealer did a oil consumption test at my request from the first to second change to observe consumption.

I have several videos of issue. After start sequence with remote it smokes at about 5 seconds after initial turn over, condensation happens at about 10 to 13 seconds. (will this forum allow posting of links to utube videos?)

In to dealer as arranged at second oil change after I asked to talk to service manager and was referred to Chrysler customer service to have case opened.

Dealer Service called today and referred to a Star Case.

This thread references a Star Case#S130900012 but have not confirmed this with dealer. Also Service Bulletin NUMBER: 09-002-13, DATEd: October 09, 2013 found at web site wk2jeeps

Last edited by DerangedO; 12-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Found Service Bulletin
DerangedO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #74
stephenspann27
2014 WK 

I saw this for the first time today out of my wife's 2014 JGC overland hemi. It is at 10k miles now, I put Mobil One in it last week. It was parked flat for 10 hours, and I hit the remote start and saw a big cloud of blue smoke. I walked through it.. smells like an old worn out motor burning oil.
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #75
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsj View Post
Hi,

I just bought a 2011 Laredo X with Hemi about 4 weeks ago. I have noticed a big cloud of blue smoke upon start-up on about 6 or 7 different occasions. Has anyone else experienced this?

I spoke to the Service Manager where I bought the vehicle about this. After conferring with Chrysler, he told me that the rings can take up to 7500 miles to seat properly. Does this sound feasible, or, am I getting a run-around?

Thanks,

Nsj
Should not smoke on start up with that many miles on it. Sounds like there's a problem with rings not seated properly on one or more cylinders. Maybe good idea to get a compression test to see what the readings are and maybe pin down which cylinder has the bad seal.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.