Blue Smoke on Start-Up? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Blue Smoke on Start-Up?

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #46
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

Mine was slightly over filled when I purchased it. I changed the oil around 7400 miles and made sure to fill until the level was 1/2 way between full and add. It still smokes. I'm wondering if the volume of smoke during certain conditions will have a negative impact on the longevity of the cat. converters.

ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #47
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGrand View Post
Jeepcares,
Do you have any updates on this?
See post 40 (by Sprocket-69) – that pretty much sums it up.

WK/WD vehicles are more susceptible to this issue when parked with front of the vehicle at a 15 degree or more nose up.
Also, oil should be at the proper level; not overfilled.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #48
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

Continued Observations on this topic

2,200 miles on this oil change and the oil level hasn't dropped any. Also, it never smokes when starting on a hill if the engine is cold.
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #49
Nonaspirin
2012 WK 

From what I've heard oil smoking on startup could be oil dripping from intake or exhaust valve seals. Oil could puddle up on the piston and upon start up create some smoke.

Not sure what color the smoke is though and the hill seems to indicate an overhead leak of oil to me, but take my diagnosis with a grain of salt. I'm not a mechanic just an occasional parts changer
Nonaspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #50
eastmentwk2

Hello,

I posted the following on **********.org. The following is a summary of the issues and some questions I have. All refercnes to post #'s are from this thread http://www.**********.org/f107/major...ust-21950.html on **********.org.

I recently purchased a 2013 JGC Limited w/5.7 Hemi (09/2012) and it too has the “blue smoke on start-up” syndrome when parked on a hill with nose-up. A generous amount of smoke is produced from both tail pipes when parked nose-up. This occurs with a hot or cold engine. I have not attempted to park nose down and see if the smoking condition occurs.

At present (10/18/2012) I have ~1,650 miles on the vehicle, to date, If I start it on a level surface I don't get any smoke. @ 1,650 I changed my oil using 7 qts. of Penzoil conventional 5W-20 (Chrysler MS-6395 approved) and Mopar MO-899 Filter, so we’ll see if the problem persists.

My Jeep has the QL system and I noticed that when parked nose-up the front air suspension deflates in an attempt to level the vehicle (which it doesn’t fully do on the incline I park on); regardless, in my case, smoke is still produced.

Let me be clear, the smoke is blue thus indicating burning of engine oil.

Questions:
1.) Has anyone else with a 2013 JGC, 5.7 have this issue?
2.) Does this condition occur in any of the HEMI Rams? HEMI cars? or the SRT HEMI JGCs?

Please advise.

After reading every post in this thread (on 10/18/2012) I have summarized the symptoms and attempted repairs with results:
The Problem: Blue smoke on startup for a short period of time (seconds, maybe a minute… unless you leave it idling for hr then smokes for a longer period of time but clears up as reported in Post #17 by jimss_409).
* Years exhibiting problem: 2011, 2012, 2013 (me)
* Occurs in high (~31k mi) and low (~1 to 6 k mi) mileage vehicles.
* Occurs with factory fill oil and other oils including synthetics.
* Occurs with warm or cold engine (my post and post # 21 by peckmv)
* Majority of posts indicates problem only occurs when parked on incline with the nose-up; one post indicated this occurred on dead-flat ground (Post #28 by gokart508). Some indicate that the problem ONLY occurs with nose-up, and does not occur with level or nose-down (per post # 81 by peckmv).

Possible Cause(s) / Suggested Remedies (as of 10/18/2012):
Possible Cause #1 – Poor Air/Oil Seperator (AOS) system “…causing pooling of oil [location not specified] due to low manifold vacuum at idle…” (actually manifold vacuum is very high at idle due to closed throttle plate; however, intake air velocity is very low). Possible Remedy for #1: suggested in Post #26 by JRoll1ns - Install Aftermarket Catch Can (introduced in Post #9 by suzieque) and elaborated on by Post #26 by JRoll1ns. Some have stated this worked for them (Post #31 by dnizzle2010, Post #39 by bmrisko on 5.3L Chevy Tahoe). Please note Post #46 by peckmv installed a catch can and it did not eliminate the problem. Possible remedy #2 for Problem #1 – replace PCV Valve (dealer) but did not work as evidenced by post #129 & 130 by rpoverland.

Possible Cause #2 – Problem with Valve Seals “…If a car sits for a long period of time and the valve stems seals are worn oil drips past them and into the combustion chamber. When you start up in the morning a quick cloud of blue smoke for just a second…” proposed in Post #36 by toy4two. Possible Remedy for #2 – possibly replace valve seals with different design (posi-lock type). To date (10/18/2012) no one has had this performed.

Possible Cause #3 – MDS somehow causes this issue – not sure of the basis for this theory but *if* the MDS is disabled while in tow/haul mode the problem still occurs enabled per post #103 by peckmv.

Possible Cause #4 – Design of the Oil Pan – “…It seems to be caused by the design of the oil pan (as others pointed out not just Mopar, seems other mfgs have the same issues). The hemi uses a front sump oil system meaning that the pan has the 'jug' in the front and the thin part of the oil pan in the back of the engine. When parked level, with the nose down, or on slight inclines the oil pan has enough angle for the oil draining out of the back of the engine to hit the pan and drain down to the sump area at the front of the pan. When the vehicle is parked with the nose up, say over 10-15 degrees, the natural gravity drain angle of the pan is negated(i.e. leveled out) causing a minute amount of oil to remain pooled in the thin section of the pan near the back of the engine. So when you restart the vehicle, say after an hour or so, that pool gets splashed and hits the piston skirts causing a smoking condition for the first few minutes/seconds of operation…” as described in post # 76 by Jahkneefive.
eastmentwk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #51
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

eastmentwk2

This is very detailed and I appreciate the effort that you put into the post. I'm still hoping the factory tech folks come up with a permanent solution after the first of the year. Sounds like the oil pan might be a good bet.

As far as oil consumption is concerned, Our Jeep has used approx. 1/3 of a quart in 5,500 miles so I believe this condition only occurs during start up when parked on an angle as described.
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #52
eastmentwk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGrand View Post
eastmentwk2
... I'm still hoping the factory tech folks come up with a permanent solution after the first of the year. Sounds like the oil pan might be a good bet...
ColoradoGrand,

Have you heard anything about a fix? i.e. has Jeep/Chrysler indicated they are working on the issue?

Please advise.
eastmentwk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #53
JeepCares

They are working on it.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #54
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

eastmentwk2

No updates yet but I expect further details after the first of the year. I believe there are a few Jeep Technicians, service folks and engineer's that frequent this forum so this I will continue to track in this thread.

I'm now up to 6,800 miles on this oil change with no oil consumption to report.
Not to stray too far off topic however; we recently returned from a road trip to the Grand Canyon and the Jeep was a great highway cruiser.
Unread 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #55
Eric_R
2012 WK 

Mine has done it 2 or 3 times since new. I can't figure out the trend of what makes it happen. But I can tell you that being on an incline has absolutely nothing to do with it. Ain't no hills here in Houston! Lol
Eric_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #56
AKHLK

The common factor in mine smoking on startup is:

1. It has to have been brought up to temp and then parked.
2. It HAS to be on an incline (nose up), and not even very much of an incline, a very slight incline can cause it.
3. It has to have been sitting for about 30 minutes or more, even up to 6 hours during the day.

If it's cold and I only run it for a short while in the morning (engine not fully warmed up) and then park it it won't smoke later. If I run it up the highway and park it on an incline it almost always smokes later when I start it. I don't recall it ever smoking on startup in the morning when it has been sitting cold all night.

If any Jeep engineers/employees are reading this forum, they should know that it doesn't reflect well on their company when I go to start my shiny, brand-new Overland, still with temporary plates on it, in a crowded parking lot and a HUGE stinking cloud of smoke spews out the back and gets quite a few stares from people. They should be embarrassed and I hope that they're working quickly to find a resolution to this issue.

Phew, now that I got that out of my system, I HAVE taken my Jeep into the dealer for service. Actually it's been in the service center for 6 days total and it has 900 miles in the odometer. It's has other, unrelated problems as well. They replaced the pcv valve but it didn't fix the smoking.

I'm looking forward to eventually getting this fixed. Thanks to the people (Jeep Cares) that keep us posted and the other forum users that share their experiences with this smoking issue.
AKHLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #57
rpoverland

I got the PCV valve replaced a few months ago but the blue smoke came back a few weeks ago. I will report the problem to Chrysler tomorrow.
rpoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #58
nbridgeman
2012 WK 

Since new, this has happened with my 2012 Hemi Laredo non-QL 3 times. Twice while cold, once while warm but all three occasions were in my driveway that has a slope. First happened around 6K miles and last time was two days ago at 12k miles. Abundant "blue" smoke for the first five seconds after startup. I'm going to try and document this by recreating the conditions, will follow up soon.
nbridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #59
peckmv

Jeep replaced the oil pan and windage tray on mine with a updated design. The smoke on start up has decreased greatly. Every once in a while I still get a small puff, but not as bad as before. The only down side is that the dipstick no longer reads correctly, since the oil level is lower in the sump. Jeep refuses to do anything. They have a defect and refuse to fix it fully. Luckly I have the ability and access to equipment that will allow me to modify my dipstick to read correctly. In my opinion this vehicle has had too many problems and is not worth the hassle of constantly getting things fixed under warranty. It seems that its always in the shop. The trans sucks with no fix in sight, and the U connect seems to never function as advertised. My phone won't work with the hands free feature and the voice reconition system is useless. Jeep says it has the latest version of firmwear and has no fix. I paid for a lot of features that just won't work. This will be my last Chrysler product.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #60
RUSH-2112
2014 WK 

I've had my 2014 V6 for 3 weeks. I noticed it once about a week ago with about 700 miles.
RUSH-2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.