Blue Smoke on Start-Up? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Blue Smoke on Start-Up?

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsj View Post
Speaking of break-in period...what is it in terms of mileage and procedure? I cannot find anything in the Owner's Manual about it.
I think that is because auto manufactures figured it was more fun to watch people fight it out over the internet.

Celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celly View Post
I think that is because auto manufactures figured it was more fun to watch people fight it out over the internet.
That or because modern engines do not require an elaborate break in procedure or break in period.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsj View Post
Speaking of break-in period...what is it in terms of mileage and procedure? I cannot find anything in the Owner's Manual about it.
beat on it, that's the best break in method.

I have built a few motors over the years and it was always the same. Start it up and check for leaks real quick, shut it down and change the oil, start it back up and go crazy. Didn't Ford pull the 3.5 EcoBoost motor off the assembly line and put it right on the dyno in those commercials? That's the best way, babying a motor from the start is a bad idea IMO.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
beat on it, that's the best break in method.

I have built a few motors over the years and it was always the same. Start it up and check for leaks real quick, shut it down and change the oil, start it back up and go crazy. Didn't Ford pull the 3.5 EcoBoost motor off the assembly line and put it right on the dyno in those commercials? That's the best way, babying a motor from the start is a bad idea IMO.
That is what I do. I broke my turbo Cobalt in on the dyno. I also custom tuned it right on the spot (gained 65 whp and 100 wrtq over stock LOL)
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

5.7 blue smoke when starting

We have a 2012 with 6,500 miles on the 5.7. Our driveway does have a slope to it and my wife and I noticed a cloud of smoke after we started it. It was sitting for 2 hours and we noticed the smoke in the back up camera. It isn't burning oil and it's filled to the proper level. Any thoughts?
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
h2bmess
2012 WK 

i have a 2012 with 1700 and i noticed white smoke on startup also..
h2bmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
dom97
2011 WK 

Hemi 5.7 Laredo X smokes on slopes on hills or driveway. Experience this for over a year now. I am at 16k miles. Happens on starting engine or sitting at a red light on a hill. About a 30-40 degree angle slope for me. I think it's normal.
dom97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

From reading this forum it appears that most of the problems and issues come from the 5.7 Hemi engine. I have not seen many issues with the V6. Justice an observation.
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i thought almost all of the hemis did that. no just the jeep ones.

thats y catch cans are so popular in the performance would of hemi. blow by in the pcv setup coats the hemi's intake with oil. oil drips down when cooling and you start it the oil gets sucked into the combustion chamber and you get your blue smoke.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
txwest
2012 WK 

I'm glad I haven't experienced this. I would be pissed. Even if it is "normal" a new engine should never smoke.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

Thanks for all of the comments. I also agree that a new engine should never smoke. Fortunately, it hasn't burned a drop of oil so I guess this is a good thing.
I did double check my oil level and it is a little (1/3 quart maybe) overfilled. I will remedy this when I change the oil soon.

On the flip side, I owned a Pacifica that never smoked but would go through 1 quart of oil every 800 miles or so.

I currently drive an 08 Aura with the 3.6 V-6. 141,000 miles and it consumes 1 quart of oil every 8,000 miles. I hope the 5.7 is a solid as the miles rack up.
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #27
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Blue smoke is indicative of oil leaking into the chambers (as noted,) and blue smoke only on startup usually indicates either:

- Rings haven't seated yet or have come unseated, or the oil control ring has lost tension and isn't doing its job. Under 15kmiles, it can be "not seated yet." The other two generally don't happen until 200Kmiles or so.

- Valve guide seals have hardened and aren't wiping effectively until they get wet. Add a seal conditioner to correct, works probably 7/10 times.

I would suggest changing your oil, substituting one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil for one quart of engine oil. This should help condition your valve guide seals, which is probably the most likely issue at this point.

I'd dump in the MMO, since it's the much cheaper and easier fix and won't cause any damage if the valve guide seals aren't the problem. It requires no disassembly of anything, save R/I the sump drain plug and the oil filter - easy!

If the MMO helps, you can either continue doing so (won't cause any problem, and can keep other problems at bay as well. Yes, MMO is also compatible with synthetic oils) or do it every fourth or fifth oil change (just keep track.) Doing it every time only adds a few bucks to the cost of your oil change, and usually saves you a pantload in repair bills, so I consider it worthwhile.
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #28
rpoverland

Im new here at jeep forum but I posted a few replays at jeep garage about the same subject.
My 2011 overland hemi has 17000 miles and blows smoke at startup and on some incline, I took my jeep to the dealer several times to the dealer and they always had an excuse for not fixing the problem until I called the corporate offices at chrysler. They are changing the PCV valve now, let's see if that is the cure for this issue.

I'm supposed to get my Cherokee back today.

Just so you know when I called the corporate they told me there's a bulletin for this issue.
rpoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #29
rpoverland

I have the same issue with mine. After several attempts of having the dealers fix the issue with no success i contacted the chrysler corporate and they where very helpful and my overland hemi is now at the dealer.

They are replacing the PCV valve.

Just so you know, my car is a 2011 grand Cherokee overland Hemi with 18000 miles and it blew smoke since new at start up and at some incline.
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #30
rpoverland

Shoot, sorry for the two reply's. I had issues with the phone app.

The second one has more accurate miles for the odometer.

Lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.