Blue Smoke on Start-Up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Blue Smoke on Start-Up?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
nsj

Blue Smoke on Start-Up?

Hi,

I just bought a 2011 Laredo X with Hemi about 4 weeks ago. I have noticed a big cloud of blue smoke upon start-up on about 6 or 7 different occasions. Has anyone else experienced this?

I spoke to the Service Manager where I bought the vehicle about this. After conferring with Chrysler, he told me that the rings can take up to 7500 miles to seat properly. Does this sound feasible, or, am I getting a run-around?

Thanks,

Nsj

nsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

You didn't specify how many miles or even what motor, I'd presume not more than a couple of thousand miles though. I can't say that what you're experiencing is normal, but it is conceivable it has something to do with the break in period. You've done your due diligence and documented with the dealer. If the issue continues to persist long after the vehicle has "broken in" bring it back and let them address it under warranty.

I don't know what your history with the dealer is, but I don't know if I'd automatically assume they're giving you the run around. Sure there are plenty of dealers out there staffed by chuckle heads that don't know their butt's from a hole in the ground. Usually that is not made grossly apparent in your first visit though.
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsj View Post
Hi,

I just bought a 2011 Laredo X with Hemi about 4 weeks ago. I have noticed a big cloud of blue smoke upon start-up on about 6 or 7 different occasions. Has anyone else experienced this?

I spoke to the Service Manager where I bought the vehicle about this. After conferring with Chrysler, he told me that the rings can take up to 7500 miles to seat properly. Does this sound feasible, or, am I getting a run-around?

Thanks,

Nsj
I have seen a few people report this on the forums -- all with the 5.7. So it is not unusual.

Blue Smoke usually means Oil. So The Rings theory is not -- insane -- but 7500 miles is a lot. Really -- what we need to do is figure out what the common variable was last time the car was driven.

Also -- lots of people say Blue smoke -- when it is indeed not a true oil burn.

What I would recommend is if it happens more, try to start looking for a common bond between the last time you drove, or the curent start up conditions.. (ie. Is it on a hill? -- Last time out did you turns off MDS.... etc)
Celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
mtndog

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Nsj
I haven’t experienced this with my Overland but it’s happened twice with my Citadel. Both times my rig was parked in the driveway which is has a slope to it. The Citadel has 900 miles and both have the HEMI.
mtndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
nsj

Thanks all. The Hemi has about 1200 miles on it at this point. I had the oil changed at +/- 1000 miles and it has smoked since then as well. The only common thread that I can think of is that our driveway and street DO have some slope to them; not very steep but some slope...
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Terminator2

Quote:
Thanks all. The Hemi has about 1200 miles on it at this point. I had the oil changed at +/- 1000 miles and it has smoked since then as well. The only common thread that I can think of is that our driveway and street DO have some slope to them; not very steep but some slope...
I have never seen any smoke with my 5.7 and the first time I started it it had 6 miles on it. Most modern engines have such good tolerances that the rings are basically seated after the first two or three heat cycles. I would not expect any of new vehicle to smoke unless there is an issue.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
nsj

T2, that would be my assumption as well. I should say that this vehicle had 600 miles on it at delivery. It was the subject of 2 dealer trades and it was driven both ways. I wonder if it was abused in the process...
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
molivermc

My hemi created some blue smoke also during the first few weeks or so. Not lots, but noticeable and I was worried about it. The engine has about 2,000 miles now and it is no longer visible. ( for what that is worth)

Good luck with yours....
molivermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
nsj

Thanks, I appreciate that. If worse comes to worse there is the powertrain warranty I guess...
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
mtndog

My jeep had 9 miles when I purchased it and the durango had 500 miles due to a dealer trade...FWIW.
mtndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Terminator2

Quote:
T2, that would be my assumption as well. I should say that this vehicle had 600 miles on it at delivery. It was the subject of 2 dealer trades and it was driven both ways. I wonder if it was abused in the process...
Actually, beating on it (to a point) will actually help the rings seat. It is not like there is any way to over rev it so unless they were doing neutral drops and J turns it should be a non issue. You should have seen my wife test drive our 5.7 she floored it right out of the dealership LOL (It was already well warmed up because I drove it for 15 minutes or so first) When I hear blue smoke on startup only I do not think leaking rings I think leaking valve seals or anything else that could cause oil to drain directly into the combustion chamber when the vehicle sits. Leaking rings should cause lots of blue smoke at full throttle as well.
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
smooth
2011 WK 

Did you check the oil level to make sure it wasn't overfilled after it was changed?
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Did you check the oil level to make sure it wasn't overfilled after it was changed?
Good point. I was just going to suggest he check the intake tract and airbox for oily residue from the PCV. OP, There should be no oil in your intake track or airbox if there is more than likely either your oil level is too high (check the dip stick) or it could mean you have excessive blow by (ring issue).
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
nsj

Thanks guys. I will check those items when (if) I can pry my wife's fingers off of the steering wheel LOL!

NSJ
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
nsj

Speaking of break-in period...what is it in terms of mileage and procedure? I cannot find anything in the Owner's Manual about it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.