Block heater cord. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Block heater cord.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
bpbpimajeep14

Block heater cord.

Does anyone else find the length of the block heater cord on the new diesels to be a little short. It does not even stick out of the hood, therefore the hood needs to be open rendering the command start useless. Poor design. My only real complaint so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
bpbpimajeep14

Am I the only one that lives where these things NEED to be plugged in.

Unread 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There was a post a few weeks ago where missing block cords and routing was discussed. I have the V8 and its cord is plenty long for me. I like plugging them in outside the hood as there has been more than once I've backed out forgetting to unplug. Makes you look kinda foolish when you trail a yellow snake down the road
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
AKHLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbpimajeep14
Does anyone else find the length of the block heater cord on the new diesels to be a little short. It does not even stick out of the hood, therefore the hood needs to be open rendering the command start useless. Poor design. My only real complaint so far. Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Hubby and I have a 2012 V8 GGC. Once we located the cord and un-bundled it we realized that our cord was also too short to be routed outside the front. We had to add a short extension cord and pull it through near the tow hook to be able to use it easily.
AKHLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
6.5kev
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm glad I saw this. We just got ours and I didn't even want to try starting it since it was 25 below last night. Too bad it doesn't have the right length cord. Maybe I'll add a battery warmer and connect them together before going out the front.
6.5kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
bpbpimajeep14

I noticed this morning that even though it was plugged in it struggled a little to start this morning. Granted it was -30 but still it should start relatively easily when plugged in no? I have an 03 cummins that would start even not plugged in.

Unread 12-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
WvTaco
2011 WK 

How long was it plugged in?
2-3hours?

Does the wk2 have two batteries like the ram?
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
Does the wk2 have two batteries like the ram?
No, one battery.
Unread 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
bpbpimajeep14

It was plugged in overnight. I will see again tomorrow morning if it's the same or different. Almost seemed as If the block heater wasn't working.

Unread 12-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
Shibodo
2012 WK 

I don't know where I got this, but I have in the back of my mind that the block heater only runs for 60 minutes then shuts off automatically. Gotta check the book when I'm off work.
Shibodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
eibyer

Interesting, I just noticed my build sheet includes engine block heater. Never had to use it here in AZ but that was good to know just in case we ever need it. Have to find out where the cord is first
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
bpbpimajeep14

The cord is located up by firewall on passenger side kind of wrapped up.

Unread 12-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibodo View Post
I don't know where I got this, but I have in the back of my mind that the block heater only runs for 60 minutes then shuts off automatically. Gotta check the book when I'm off work.
The block heater is a simple electric cord leading to a heating element immersed in engine coolant. I am not sure on the JGC, but they are usually installed where a frost plug would go in the engine block. It will heat as long as it is plugged in. I use an external timer on mine to come on in the morning 2 hours before I leave for work.

I have not used the block heater on my new GC yet, but on my previous car you could hear a sound like a kettle of water just before it comes to a boil when the block heater was plugged in. For those of you that use this, if it is quiet enough can you hear a similar sound? If so, it would help to diagnose if the block heater is working or not.

Failing that, a simple continuity test with a multi meter across the two prongs of the plug should tell you if there is a circuit or not. I will check mine and see what the resistance reads as a point of reference for others.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
eibyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibodo View Post
Possibly from the manual where it says it has to be connected at least an hour for it to help keeping the engine warm.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
Shibodo
2012 WK 

Yep, that would be right.
Shibodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.