Best device for the best sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Best device for the best sound

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

Best device for the best sound

Alright its me again. Since I will be getting the 2014 I'm trying to decide the best way to get my tunes since I am not going to get the CD player. I thought about purchasing an ipod just for music instead of using my phone. I've seen posts that others are using SD cards and thumb drives. What delivers the best sound?

I guess that I will be purchasing the Limited verison ( back up camera) but I don't know for sure what radio that comes with; the 5.0 or the next level up? I want to lessen my chances of having issues with anything since I've so many issues with my 05 Equinox.

dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

If you rip your music from a cd in a lossless format at a high enough bitrate and put it on an SD card you will get pretty good sound.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
bilbo_28
2014 WK 

As long as you are not conencting via bluetooth, then each device will sound the same as all you are doing is pulling data from a storage system. Ripping your music to MP3s at a buit rate of 192 or above and using USB thumb drive or SD card will be the cheapest way.
bilbo_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
steveinaz
2011 WK 

Audio is my holdest hobby, and I take it seriously---ditch the lossy codecs and use lossless codecs such as flac, apple lossless, etc. Amazing to me how these newer generations have been cheated with awful quality music sources. I don't think you need 24/192, as a standard redbook CD (16/44) can sound outstanding with a well engineered recording and good equipment.

The biggest hurdle is the "crushing" (see: loudness wars) of dynamics by (so-called) audio engineers in an effort to have the loudest CD. Because, as you know, louder is better. [/sarcasm]

flac is freeware, and compresses music files without any loss of fidelity. When uncompressed, the *.wav file is restored fully to it's original file size for playback. Compression is generally around 35-40%.
Tow package
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Best Sound

A CD Player nothing else comes close but it is a vehicle. Vehicle interiors rarely deliver great sound. Add noise and vibration and good XM is good enough.

Now best sound ever out of a vehicle goes to a 57 Ferrari 250 Testa Rosa with loud pedal full exercised. It was also the best sound I have ever heard in any vehicle I own expect for my first girl friend saying give me more.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
steveinaz
2011 WK 

IMO, XM is no better, and in some ways worse than a strong FM signal. Early XM was used higher bitrates and was pretty satisfying, but now that Sirius owns XM, it's even worse. Shame too, as satellite radio has excellent "potential" but as always they have chosen to go for quantity and not quality. XM, either earlier or present has never delivered on the "as good as CD" promise. They got their customer base, then they dialed-back the bitrates---classic bait 'n switch.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm out in the middle of the southwest desert, I'd cancel Sirius/XM today.
Tow package
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
steveinaz
2011 WK 

Bottom line, the delivery device (USB stick, smartphone, etc) at "this" level of audio is not nearly as important as having lossless software (music).
Tow package
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

Hmm buying a USB drive would definately be cheaper and easier to move my music to. As long as I have my music to listen to I don't care if I'm using CD, SD, Ipod or whatever. Has anyone used an Ipod which an Aux cord? Does that work better than Bluetooth syncing?
dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
steveinaz
2011 WK 

dragon, shouldn't matter much if you're using lossless codec.
Tow package
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
flyrx
2007 WK 

Does anyone have a list of the codecs that the audio system supports coming directly off of a USB drive or memory card?
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
jacko15
2014 WK 

I was never able to find a definitive list, but I've used mp3 and wma formats successfully.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
NorthernGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon672 View Post
Hmm buying a USB drive would definately be cheaper and easier to move my music to. As long as I have my music to listen to I don't care if I'm using CD, SD, Ipod or whatever. Has anyone used an Ipod which an Aux cord? Does that work better than Bluetooth syncing?
Dragon,

I just bought a dedicated ipod and plugged it into the USB slot. Unlike crappy GM radios, there is no need to plug into the aux port and lose sound quality plus you can control the ipod from the head unit.
NorthernGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
flyrx
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15
I was never able to find a definitive list, but I've used mp3 and wma formats successfully.
Thanks for the reply. I'm mostly interested in running lossless. Right now most of my stuff is in Apple lossless, but I just don't know how many systems support playing those files.

Should I decide to trade in my 07 WK, I may have to do like NorthernGoat and just use a dedicated iPod.
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

actually

The best device for sound just doesnt work to well in a vehicle driving down the road. Turntables and vinyl records still sound the best. A Linn Sondek is just going to skip all day no matter how smooth the road. A solid state electronics just dont sound as good as tubes in most cases.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrx View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm mostly interested in running lossless. Right now most of my stuff is in Apple lossless, but I just don't know how many systems support playing those files.

Should I decide to trade in my 07 WK, I may have to do like NorthernGoat and just use a dedicated iPod.
I either just Bluetooth or USB my iphone...Works and sounds good enough for my needs of jammin' or just Flashdrive with mp3 as mentioned and works great too as we have savd some music on the HDD! lots of options these days, I remember when, if you had CD player and MP3 playback that was cool.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.