Battery Warmer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery Warmer?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
TerrestrialAlms

Battery Warmer?

Hello,

I recently moved to Winnipeg, where I anticipate I (and my '14 Grand Cherokee) will experience the coldest winter temperatures I've ever encountered. I do have an engine block heater installed, but would it be advisable to purchase a battery warmer/blanket as well? I anticipate having to work night shifts, which means plenty of nights where my vehicle will be parked outside and exposed to the elements. From what I understand, the battery in the newer Grand Cherokees is under one of the seats in the passenger compartment. I imagine that might help protect the battery some from the cold, but if the vehicle is going to be outside for an extended period, I"m not sure that would be enough. Thanks!

T.A.

TerrestrialAlms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
overland_HO
2013 WK 

I don’t think they make one for the WK2 but personally I think you will be just fine without it as mentioned, it's under the seat too...Block warmer helps the most with keeping the fluids warm which will make it easier to start. Just my opinion though. My CTD has started with no issues at -10 when we go ice fishing up at the lakes...
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
peckmv

I don't see how a blanket around a battery will keep it warm. There is no source of heat.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrestrialAlms View Post
Hello,

I recently moved to Winnipeg, where I anticipate I (and my '14 Grand Cherokee) will experience the coldest winter temperatures I've ever encountered. I do have an engine block heater installed, but would it be advisable to purchase a battery warmer/blanket as well? I anticipate having to work night shifts, which means plenty of nights where my vehicle will be parked outside and exposed to the elements. From what I understand, the battery in the newer Grand Cherokees is under one of the seats in the passenger compartment. I imagine that might help protect the battery some from the cold, but if the vehicle is going to be outside for an extended period, I"m not sure that would be enough. Thanks!

T.A.
The battery is under the pass seat.
Block heater works well on my v6. Takes about 2 hrs to make a noticeable difference. Jeep says to use the block heater anytime the outside temp is under 20 deg f.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The simple blankets just retain heat, there are ones with electric elements you plug in (like an electric blanket).

I'm not sure how easy the current diesel is to start, there doesn't seem to be much complaint from overseas where they've been used for years. Use the block heater below 30 degrees F to take a load off the starter motor, and to give you heat much earlier. Should be good down to -20F . Not the same motor, probably harder to get spinning, but my cummins never had an issue starting even without the block heater. The block heater saves wear and tear.... come to think of it, the truck also had two batteries
Unread 09-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
kryogen
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland_HO View Post
Just my opinion though. My CTD has started with no issues at -10 when we go ice fishing up at the lakes...
lol, -10

below -40 **** starts to happen with batteries... last winter it got close to -50 here and my battery just shattered.

I need to install my battery blanket.... I just wonder how I will pass the plug through, drill the body and silicon around it?
kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Dunno, but the new WK2 battery is an AGM type which uses solid electrolyte and is much more resistant to freezing. The battery compartment does include a thermal blanket. I've read that AGM batteries use a solid compound and therefore freezing temperatures have no bad (damaging) effects on the battery. It would have reduced capacity, however.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8398809_dif...batteries.html

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_battery.htm
Unread 09-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #8
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

" AGM" batteries experience...

My wife has had AGM batteries in her two Miata's since 1990 . They were made by Panasonic in Japan. They have been extremely reliable and long lasting in a mix of climates . Typical life was eight years . They are pricy at $120 for a small battery. The one thing that kills a AGM battery is to allow it to fully discharge. They do not respond well to a battery charger and may not take a charge .
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
kryogen
2011 WK 

The issue is that at -40 or below, the battery only gives a low % of its cranking power, and even with a plugged block heater all night, the cars usually do not start.
You need the battery at 100% (heated), plus the block heater to start the car on a morning below -40... So I need to install my heated blanket asap :P But it keeps raining all the time here.
I need to see if I can use the vent hole, or if I need to drill a hole for the 120v plug, then paint around the edges, and then silicon around the plug, but I don't really like drilling through my paint and car metal....
Unread 09-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
The issue is that at -40 or below, the battery only gives a low % of its cranking power, and even with a plugged block heater all night, the cars usually do not start.
Sorry, we thought you said you were concerned about the battery exploding at low temps.
Unread 09-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
kryogen
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Sorry, we thought you said you were concerned about the battery exploding at low temps.
what happens is that it's -40, you only have 20% cranking power left, then you crank the car a few times, doesnt start, then the battery gets to 70% charge, or whatever, and it's -40, so in the next 15 minutes, your battery freezes and cracks. Of course, the AGM might not crack, but it would probably still be ruined.

Other issue is that, at 100% charge, it will not freeze. But your car has a crap load of electronic gadgets, and it doesnt stay at 100% for long.

Let's say you have a cold week that is close to -40 all week.
If you drive short trips, and never warm it, or charge, you will eventually ruin the battery.

Start the car cold, battery doesnt charge so well, stop the car, start, even less power, doesnt charge so well, stop again, -40 night, dead battery....

A battery warmer ensures that your battery starts the car with 100% power, that it doesnt freeze, and that it's able to charge ASAP after starting the car.

On morning that are -40 or colder, most cars just dont start on my street. It's so cold that the exhaust fumes dont even raise, they stay on the ground. same with chimney fumes. They get out, then fall down on the house. weird. When you see that, it's too cold :P

Why didnt they just put the damn battery under the hood?
Unread 09-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah understand that, spent some time in some of those northern bases. Most around here, that have to get out in the morning, either have a garage or leave the vehicle running. There is probably no room under the hood for the battery and they want to protect the battery from damage caused by high engine compartment heat. A few of my cars had the battery in the rear. I guess they sell more Jeeps to those in hot climates than those in cold

AGMs won't freeze because they are already solid, no liquid. But, as with all car batteries, they don't like the cold and lose starting capacity. Your local dealer may have a kit, I know they offer them for the Wrangler..

Like this one that I think is made in Canada:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2014-JEE...-/330375776816
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
kryogen
2011 WK 

yeah I have one already, but how do you pass the plug through to the front grille?
Unread 09-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
You need the battery at 100% (heated), plus the block heater to start the car on a morning below -40... So I need to install my heated blanket asap :P ...
I grew up where it would get -35 degrees for days or weeks on end and never had a battery warmer or a block heater and not once had a vehicle fail to start.Also talking about carb'd engines also with regular wet celled batteries.My Cutlass had a Holley Dominator 1050cfm carb on it and no choke and started just fine at -35 degrees with a 700cca rated wet celled battery.

In both my Jeep and Town Car I use Odyssey batteries that are majorly over rated for the vehicle and never have any issues.My Jeep requires a group 25 battery(500cca rated) and have a group 34/78 PC1500DT in it that still tests to over 1000cca's when the battery is at -5 degrees.
Unread 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #15
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
yeah I have one already, but how do you pass the plug through to the front grille?
Couldn't you just pass it out the rear passenger door? No reason for it to have to go out thru the engine compartment, your just going to plug it into an extension cord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.