Battery Warmer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery Warmer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 11-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
TerrestrialAlms

Battery Warmer?

Hello,

I recently moved to Winnipeg, where I anticipate I (and my '14 Grand Cherokee) will experience the coldest winter temperatures I've ever encountered. I do have an engine block heater installed, but would it be advisable to purchase a battery warmer/blanket as well? I anticipate having to work night shifts, which means plenty of nights where my vehicle will be parked outside and exposed to the elements. From what I understand, the battery in the newer Grand Cherokees is under one of the seats in the passenger compartment. I imagine that might help protect the battery some from the cold, but if the vehicle is going to be outside for an extended period, I"m not sure that would be enough. Thanks!

T.A.

TerrestrialAlms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
overland_HO
2013 WK 

I don’t think they make one for the WK2 but personally I think you will be just fine without it as mentioned, it's under the seat too...Block warmer helps the most with keeping the fluids warm which will make it easier to start. Just my opinion though. My CTD has started with no issues at -10 when we go ice fishing up at the lakes...
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
peckmv

I don't see how a blanket around a battery will keep it warm. There is no source of heat.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrestrialAlms View Post
Hello,

I recently moved to Winnipeg, where I anticipate I (and my '14 Grand Cherokee) will experience the coldest winter temperatures I've ever encountered. I do have an engine block heater installed, but would it be advisable to purchase a battery warmer/blanket as well? I anticipate having to work night shifts, which means plenty of nights where my vehicle will be parked outside and exposed to the elements. From what I understand, the battery in the newer Grand Cherokees is under one of the seats in the passenger compartment. I imagine that might help protect the battery some from the cold, but if the vehicle is going to be outside for an extended period, I"m not sure that would be enough. Thanks!

T.A.
The battery is under the pass seat.
Block heater works well on my v6. Takes about 2 hrs to make a noticeable difference. Jeep says to use the block heater anytime the outside temp is under 20 deg f.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The simple blankets just retain heat, there are ones with electric elements you plug in (like an electric blanket).

I'm not sure how easy the current diesel is to start, there doesn't seem to be much complaint from overseas where they've been used for years. Use the block heater below 30 degrees F to take a load off the starter motor, and to give you heat much earlier. Should be good down to -20F . Not the same motor, probably harder to get spinning, but my cummins never had an issue starting even without the block heater. The block heater saves wear and tear.... come to think of it, the truck also had two batteries

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.