Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Battery drain

27K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Ianh 
#1 ·
Hi guys just new to the forum, I have a 2011 jeep grand cherokee and I am having problems with my battery going flat, they have replaced 2 batteries and 2 alternators, best I have gone is 6 days before flat again.
My question is the service center is trying to tell me that even though my jeep is in a locked garage at night I have to lock the jeep itself to avoid battery drain. Has anyone every heard of anything like this, and to be totally fair not just a grand cherokee but any jeep at all regardless of model spec or year, coz it sounds like total B/S to me.
Thx:

#3 ·
Is that flat in 6 days without driving? Are you driving very short distances? The WK2 should be able to be stored for at least 30 days without the battery going flat. The voltage regulation is done by the PCM. A faulty PCM or circuits could cause low charge conditions. But the tech should have checked for that.

The WK2 does not completely sleep when first turned off. Takes about 5 or 6 minutes then it goes into full sleep where the software shuts just about everything down to avoid flat batteries. There is just a little drain. This happens regardless of locked state.

Check for parasitic drain.

You could try pulling the IOD fuse when parked for long periods of time to see if it makes any difference.

"The IOD fuse can be used by the vehicle owner as a convenient means of reducing battery depletion when a vehicle is to be stored for periods not to exceed about thirty days. However, it must be remembered that disconnecting the IOD fuse will not eliminate IOD, but only reduce this normal condition. If a vehicle will be stored for more than about thirty days, the battery negative cable should be disconnected to eliminate normal IOD; and, the battery should be tested and recharged at regular intervals during the vehicle storage period to prevent the battery from becoming discharged or damaged. "

For 2011 model years:
"The following circuits are protected by the IOD fuse:

•Cluster (CCN)
•Electronic Overhead Module (EOM
•Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM)
•Video Module (DVD system)
•Hands Free Telephone Module
•Map Lamps
•Glove Box Lamp
•Courtesy Lamps
•Radio
•Security Module (export markets)
•Traffic Control Module (export markets) ".

#4 ·
Thanks for responding guys, I have only just bought this car. I drive every day with varying distances some short, sometimes 100km or more. It first died 2 days after I bought it this was whilest I was driving on a freeway. They then replaced the battery and the alternator and declared it ok. Five days later it died again in my garage after sitting overnight (I had used it the day before with no issues). This time they replaced the same two items but gave me a brand new alternator instead of a reconditioned one. Six days later same thing, it died overnight in my garage. It was at this point they made the comment about locking the car overnight which I found ludicrous. I too believe it could be the pcm

#5 ·
The lock/unlock states makes no difference, thats BS. How does that explain dying while driving on the highway? Did it just stop while you were driving? Or just didn't want to start after a brief stop.

When you say the battery is flat, is it just that the Jeep won't turn over, or is everything dead?

You would thing the charge system warning light would come on if it wasn't charging (PCM or alternator issue).

If its dying while running or after a brief stop, it could be a bad connection in one of the TIPM connectors, or the TIPM itself. Do you know if the fuel pump recall was done on the jeep.

Otherwise its a power parasite. The TIPM would be higher on my suspect list than the PCM.

#6 ·
Ok 1st time I was driving and everything started shutting down 1st thing it would not engage cruise control, then the aircon started to blow hot air, then it said front parking sensor needed service then the power steering cut out then finally after all this the battery warning came on. I just got it to the freeway off ramp when it stopped altogether, and wouldn't restart.
2nd and third time I went out to the car which as previously stated had been sitting in my garage overnight. when I went to turn on the car, all the dahboard lights came on and off like a christmas tree. the wipers came halfway accross the screen and stopped and there was a constant ticking noise under the bonnet. At this point I could neither turn the car on and even worse could not turn it off. The interior lights dimmed and went off and I could not even get to the battery to disconnect as it has power seats and they did not work, this went on till the battery so drained even the warning lights failed.

#8 ·
That sounds like a haunted vehicle. The computer(s) shut down (or go into limp mode) once the battery reaches a certain voltage, non of the modules should misbehave. You may have more than a battery problem. The TIPM or a badly behaving module would be higher on my list than battery or alternator. Good luck. Any error codes scanned?

But bottom line, keeping the car locked is not even remotely a contribution to the issues you see. Good luck on getting it fixed. Keep us posted.

#9 ·
So here's the latest from te jeep service center
They have now had the car for 5 days, in all this time they have charged the battery and turned the car on and off a few times. Each time the say that the battery is fine and holding charge and that the alternator is fine and charging, so they are at a loss to explain what happened (Sigh). The want to hold on to it for a few more days to see if it does it again. I asked the manager if the computer tells him what the problem is if it occurs again, he said no, so I dont see why they are not looking further. they are doing yet another drain test on it even though the last one said no drain. When I told them to a. check for a faulty earth or b. check the PCM or TIPM they dont seem to want to even look any further. If after a few days more I still get no response Its going to an independant auto elec. Thank god the dealer I bought it off is covering all this under warranty

#10 ·
So Jeep are now claiming they have found the problem, a parasitic drain from the radio switching on after a few hours, lol they had it for 2 weeks last time, funny they didn't find it then. Any hoo they say no power drain since the update, so they are looking at releasing the car tomorrow

Attachments

#12 ·
I'm not sure, however Just after we bought the car I purchased an updated genuine jeep sat nav unit which I got a jeep wrecker to fit It all worked apart from the microphone which apparantly needs a mopar harness to work, they didnt have one so in the intrim we replaced the original radio, maybe swapping the radio out and back in again triggered it although it seems hard to believe, I don't know maybe the damm thing is possessed, it makes almost as much sense

#13 ·
So latest update, picked up the car from Jeep on Friday, they swore blind all fixed wont happen again, hur hur.
Monday morning battery flat again and back to jeep, maybe now they will look at the Tipm or pcm, sigh

BTW if they replace the tipm, does this include a new pcm or is this a separate item??, anyone?.

#15 ·
And so it continues, ah ha they say we found another parasitic draw, in the HVAC module, .4amps to be precise, so we are replacing the unit, why did this not show up before I ask, coz it's intermittant, is the reply. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried you know. Sigh, maybe this time it will fix it. Sooooo glad I ain't paying for this.

#18 ·
For what it is worth. I had an identical problem with a New Hyundai. I monitored the battery for days. Hyundai said don't jump start the car have it towed in. Towed it in and they agreed the battery was dead. Left at the dealer for several days. To be fair I just happened to be at the dealer when they started the car and it did start. 4 attempts to fix and the best they could do is a new battery and a claim of loose terminals. I needed a car I could rely on, so I took the financial hit and bought a new Grand Cherokee. The Jeep is now a year old and am very happy with it. This probably does not help you very much. But I feel your pain.

#21 ·
Ok so here is the latest. Its now only lasting 2-3 days before the battery drops too low to start. Its back at jeep again and they claim after a week of driving it around a bit, there is no problem. But when I pick it up and use it, as I said 2-3 days and its gone again. only seems to be a battery issue, and the only wierd thing is after I recharge it it will go again but at first the radio wont come back on, by this I mean, No radio, no reverse camera, no phone, after driving around for a few hours this all clicks back into life again. The service people are being no help at all. Anyone have any idea, is this a TIPM or PCM issue, I am at my wits end!!!!!

#22 ·
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having a similar issue with no charging. Put in a new battery and alternator and stil lno charge. Suspecting the PCM, but not sure and not sure what to do next.

That install on the hvac is ridiculous. I hope you're having that redone correctl.

#23 ·
Yeah Still ongoing I'm afraid. Jeep dealership in mornington had it for 6 weeks ran every test so they said. The 5th week they rang up and said wow we ran a test today and a single light came on in the rear of the car which led to a 7 amp draw we think its the bcm. One week later they released the car back to me. I asked what had been replaced, they said nothing. When I asked about the call re the power drain i was told ah sorry we didnt have one of the doors closed properly, when i said but that would bring all the interior lights on, they said sorry that was a mistake we meant all lights. Next day the battery was flat again. so its now booked into another dealer on march 6th. hopefully with better results. At least when I bought it it would go for 5-6 days then it got worse and would only go 2-3 days. At the moment i have to put it on charge every night otherwise it wont start. Oh yeah the radio is also not working anymore, so no radio, no reverse camera and no phone connectivity, and the last dealer said they couldnt find a fault in 6 weeks SURE. I'll let you know when I get it back in and what transpires

#25 ·
Latest

Ok so here's the latest, after losing all faith in Jeep Mornington, I had to wait 3 weeks but car then got sent to a different dealer. they had it 2 days and sent it to an auto elec. He said that when the battery drains there were 2 relays behind the dash that were getting red hot, these were to do with the radio and the air con. When he pulled the 2 relays the drain stopped, so he has replaced the relays with new ones and is monitoring for the next few days to see if its in the wiring or just the relays. Fingers crossed that this works.
BTW anyone know which relays they are talking about and has a link to a circuit diagram, just for my interest. Will let you guys know if this finally fixes the issue.

#26 ·
Thanks for the update. I didn't think there were any relays behind the dash, when I get back to a computer I'll do a quick check. There are a few control modules.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.