Bars for Flush Roof Rails - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Bars for Flush Roof Rails

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #121
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
I just installed the $150 Amazon racks . Arrived in two days . Installation in 15 minutes.

Just drove 125 miles at speeds up to 75 mph . Stone quiet.... Didn't even know anything was different .

No noise ..... No hit on mpg ..... Nice look ....

Keepers!
+1

I was worried about noise at highway speed but even at 80 mph no wind noise. Very pleased.
The only thing I would be worried are the screws if taking the rack off too often. The screws seem to be quite soft and I think they can be stripped even if being careful. I will probably try to find better screws when I remove the rack before the winter.

roof_rack.jpg  
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #122
Jughead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post
+1

I was worried about noise at highway speed but even at 80 mph no wind noise. Very pleased.
The only thing I would be worried are the screws if taking the rack off too often. The screws seem to be quite soft and I think they can be stripped even if being careful. I will probably try to find better screws when I remove the rack before the winter.
Mine howls like a spooky Halloween ghost at >60, wife sorta likes it.

I read somewhere to reverse the front cross rail (switch sides from L-R) was supposed to help.
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #123
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post

With the added Thule SUP rack in my case, it is a different story now too With the paddle boards on it is actually more quiet than with the empty rack.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #124
smljeep
2014 WK 

Is anyone carrying two kayaks on top?
Please post a picture from front and side if you could?

I'm still debating whether to put them on top or get a trailer.
Thanks!
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #125
Medpilot
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Tighten the inside bolt by lifting it up with a flat screw driver , which locks the internal nut . It will tighten up immediately.
Thanks!
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #126
esu
1995 ZJ 

Who is the seller on ebay for these bars?
esu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #127
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smljeep View Post
Is anyone carrying two kayaks on top?
Please post a picture from front and side if you could?

I'm still debating whether to put them on top or get a trailer.
Thanks!
I ran my 13.5 and 10 footers on the roof this weekend with just the ebay/mopar style bars and a nice set of tie straps. I went about 4 hours each way and they did fine, it is a very tight fit and had to do them offset, I did one upside down and one right side up on the way threw and did them offset both upside down on the way back, both times the big one was tail forward the small tip forward. Worked both ways but truthfully I am grabbing an A frame mount to put on the rack to make them a little more stable...

Didn't see this till I had them off sorry, FYI the tail gate doesn't necessarily open too well if you center them well on the rack and have some over hand off the back.

Side note, 80 highway at 75-80 20% going like 60-65 with two kayaks I pulled 20.x mpg plus.
JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #128
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esu View Post
Who is the seller on ebay for these bars?
Mine were svautoparts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121326120630...84.m1497.l2649
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #129
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post

I read somewhere to reverse the front cross rail (switch sides from L-R) was supposed to help.
My ebay/mopar style bar make a little noise with the sunroof on vent but nothing when open fully, I plan to slowly move that bar back in like 1/2 inch increments and see if it kills the sound so I don't bot move the bar when not in use.
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #130
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamihe View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on the ebay bars. Does anyone know if a kayak will fit on top with the factory antenna? 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
When I run one I offset width wide slightly and miss the antenna. Depends a lot on length and how you offset or fore and aft if you want to be precisely center.
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #131
smljeep
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenJGC View Post
I ran my 13.5 and 10 footers on the roof this weekend with just the ebay/mopar style bars and a nice set of tie straps. I went about 4 hours each way and they did fine, it is a very tight fit and had to do them offset, I did one upside down and one right side up on the way threw and did them offset both upside down on the way back, both times the big one was tail forward the small tip forward. Worked both ways but truthfully I am grabbing an A frame mount to put on the rack to make them a little more stable...

Didn't see this till I had them off sorry, FYI the tail gate doesn't necessarily open too well if you center them well on the rack and have some over hand off the back.

Side note, 80 highway at 75-80 20% going like 60-65 with two kayaks I pulled 20.x mpg plus.
Thanks Jorgen.
We have two 12 ft. Yaks (Wilderness Tarpon and Percetion) and frequently take some long trips when we go kayak camping and fishing. On these trips we are usually packing quite a bit of stuff so getting access to the lift hatch could be an issue for us. Also, only getting 20.x mpg on the highway would piss me off!
Looks like I'll be looking into a trailer....
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #132
Jughead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenJGC View Post
My ebay/mopar style bar make a little noise with the sunroof on vent but nothing when open fully, I plan to slowly move that bar back in like 1/2 inch increments and see if it kills the sound so I don't bot move the bar when not in use.
Good idea, didn't think of moving them back a little.

Unread 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #133
redddog

Got my Amazon/Ebay/Mopar bars on this Friday.

They are totally silent at any speed, took about 10 minutes to get on and are the EXACT same bars that are on my brother-in-law's Jeep. He paid $350 (or something like that) and the only difference is his has a tiny "jeep" on his.

I paid $113.50 shipped.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #134
Jughead
2011 WK 

Finally got the basket installed and better pics of the cross rails.

Unread 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #135
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post
+1

Can you post a close up?
The tilt function on my moon roof is useless to me, because the combination of it and roof rack creates a noise that is terrible.
Maybe I need to flip the front one. Or something.

Funny thing is my first "DIY" on JeepForum was 8 years ago fabricating a custom roof rack for a 1996 Cherokee. It's bars were "whisper" quiet . Here I am with a brand new Cherokee, and can't even make the damn OEM parts work right.
WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.