Bars for Flush Roof Rails - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Bars for Flush Roof Rails

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #121
kloubik
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
I just installed the $150 Amazon racks . Arrived in two days . Installation in 15 minutes.

Just drove 125 miles at speeds up to 75 mph . Stone quiet.... Didn't even know anything was different .

No noise ..... No hit on mpg ..... Nice look ....

Keepers!
+1

I was worried about noise at highway speed but even at 80 mph no wind noise. Very pleased.
The only thing I would be worried are the screws if taking the rack off too often. The screws seem to be quite soft and I think they can be stripped even if being careful. I will probably try to find better screws when I remove the rack before the winter.

roof_rack.jpg  
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #122
Jughead
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Free stuff is usually too expensive
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post
+1

I was worried about noise at highway speed but even at 80 mph no wind noise. Very pleased.
The only thing I would be worried are the screws if taking the rack off too often. The screws seem to be quite soft and I think they can be stripped even if being careful. I will probably try to find better screws when I remove the rack before the winter.
Mine howls like a spooky Halloween ghost at >60, wife sorta likes it.

I read somewhere to reverse the front cross rail (switch sides from L-R) was supposed to help.
__________________
2003 Rubicon
2011 Laredo "X" V-6
2011 Laredo Limited Hemi
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #123
kloubik
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Mine howls like a spooky Halloween ghost at >60, wife sorta likes it.


With the added Thule SUP rack in my case, it is a different story now too With the paddle boards on it is actually more quiet than with the empty rack.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #124
smljeep
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 61
Is anyone carrying two kayaks on top?
Please post a picture from front and side if you could?

I'm still debating whether to put them on top or get a trailer.
Thanks!
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #125
Medpilot
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Tighten the inside bolt by lifting it up with a flat screw driver , which locks the internal nut . It will tighten up immediately.
Thanks!
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #126
esu
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: STATEN ISLAND, ny
Posts: 118
Who is the seller on ebay for these bars?
esu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #127
JorgenJGC
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smljeep View Post
Is anyone carrying two kayaks on top?
Please post a picture from front and side if you could?

I'm still debating whether to put them on top or get a trailer.
Thanks!
I ran my 13.5 and 10 footers on the roof this weekend with just the ebay/mopar style bars and a nice set of tie straps. I went about 4 hours each way and they did fine, it is a very tight fit and had to do them offset, I did one upside down and one right side up on the way threw and did them offset both upside down on the way back, both times the big one was tail forward the small tip forward. Worked both ways but truthfully I am grabbing an A frame mount to put on the rack to make them a little more stable...

Didn't see this till I had them off sorry, FYI the tail gate doesn't necessarily open too well if you center them well on the rack and have some over hand off the back.


Side note, 80 highway at 75-80 20% going like 60-65 with two kayaks I pulled 20.x mpg plus.
JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #128
JorgenJGC
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by esu View Post
Who is the seller on ebay for these bars?
Mine were svautoparts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121326120630...84.m1497.l2649
JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #129
JorgenJGC
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Mine howls like a spooky Halloween ghost at >60, wife sorta likes it.

I read somewhere to reverse the front cross rail (switch sides from L-R) was supposed to help.
My ebay/mopar style bar make a little noise with the sunroof on vent but nothing when open fully, I plan to slowly move that bar back in like 1/2 inch increments and see if it kills the sound so I don't bot move the bar when not in use.
JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #130
JorgenJGC
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamihe View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on the ebay bars. Does anyone know if a kayak will fit on top with the factory antenna? 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
When I run one I offset width wide slightly and miss the antenna. Depends a lot on length and how you offset or fore and aft if you want to be precisely center.
JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #131
smljeep
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenJGC View Post
I ran my 13.5 and 10 footers on the roof this weekend with just the ebay/mopar style bars and a nice set of tie straps. I went about 4 hours each way and they did fine, it is a very tight fit and had to do them offset, I did one upside down and one right side up on the way threw and did them offset both upside down on the way back, both times the big one was tail forward the small tip forward. Worked both ways but truthfully I am grabbing an A frame mount to put on the rack to make them a little more stable...

Didn't see this till I had them off sorry, FYI the tail gate doesn't necessarily open too well if you center them well on the rack and have some over hand off the back.


Side note, 80 highway at 75-80 20% going like 60-65 with two kayaks I pulled 20.x mpg plus.
Thanks Jorgen.
We have two 12 ft. Yaks (Wilderness Tarpon and Percetion) and frequently take some long trips when we go kayak camping and fishing. On these trips we are usually packing quite a bit of stuff so getting access to the lift hatch could be an issue for us. Also, only getting 20.x mpg on the highway would piss me off!
Looks like I'll be looking into a trailer....
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #132
Jughead
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Free stuff is usually too expensive
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenJGC View Post
My ebay/mopar style bar make a little noise with the sunroof on vent but nothing when open fully, I plan to slowly move that bar back in like 1/2 inch increments and see if it kills the sound so I don't bot move the bar when not in use.
Good idea, didn't think of moving them back a little.

__________________
2003 Rubicon
2011 Laredo "X" V-6
2011 Laredo Limited Hemi
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #133
redddog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rochester, ny
Posts: 101
Got my Amazon/Ebay/Mopar bars on this Friday.

They are totally silent at any speed, took about 10 minutes to get on and are the EXACT same bars that are on my brother-in-law's Jeep. He paid $350 (or something like that) and the only difference is his has a tiny "jeep" on his.

I paid $113.50 shipped.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #134
Jughead
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Free stuff is usually too expensive
Posts: 96
Finally got the basket installed and better pics of the cross rails.







__________________
2003 Rubicon
2011 Laredo "X" V-6
2011 Laredo Limited Hemi
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #135
WKdeuce
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Malvern PA
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post
+1

I was worried about noise at highway speed but even at 80 mph no wind noise. Very pleased.
The only thing I would be worried are the screws if taking the rack off too often. The screws seem to be quite soft and I think they can be stripped even if being careful. I will probably try to find better screws when I remove the rack before the winter.
Can you post a close up?
The tilt function on my moon roof is useless to me, because the combination of it and roof rack creates a noise that is terrible.
Maybe I need to flip the front one. Or something.

Funny thing is my first "DIY" on JeepForum was 8 years ago fabricating a custom roof rack for a 1996 Cherokee. It's bars were "whisper" quiet . Here I am with a brand new Cherokee, and can't even make the damn OEM parts work right.
__________________
2011 5.7L WK2 | 5.3L TJ work in progress
Rust in Pieces Blue
JEEP FIEND CLUB
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.