Bars for Flush Roof Rails - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Bars for Flush Roof Rails

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #106
Booch
2014 WK 

Trying not to knock my 2014, because I really like it, but I don't think these flush rails are "The best of what we are made of". I'd love to meet the engineer that designed this intricate piece of metal that nobody can figure out how to use, and explain why it's better than the raised rails I had on my 2006, or the sort-of flush rails on my 2011 Durango that included the nifty integrated rails.

I'd also like him to explain to me why both of the big players (Thule, Yakima) have decided NOT to use these flush rails as one would think.

I don't love the fact that I'm essentially a beta tester for the Yakima Whispbars, but so far it's working out fine.

Booch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #107
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
Trying not to knock my 2014, because I really like it, but I don't think these flush rails are "The best of what we are made of". I'd love to meet the engineer that designed this intricate piece of metal that nobody can figure out how to use, and explain why it's better than the raised rails I had on my 2006, or the sort-of flush rails on my 2011 Durango that included the nifty integrated rails.

I'd also like him to explain to me why both of the big players (Thule, Yakima) have decided NOT to use these flush rails as one would think.

I don't love the fact that I'm essentially a beta tester for the Yakima Whispbars, but so far it's working out fine.

Couldn't agree more.
The raised rails (which you pointed out Jeep used to use) are head & shoulders better than these lame flush rails.
I'd love to meet the engineer myself so I could let him know what I think of this "brilliant" move. And then give him a swift kick in the a$$.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #108
Carpecervisia
2014 WK 

I suspect that the low profile flush rails were designed more for esthetics and aerodymanics than for actual utility. The rails on the '14s are identical to the ones found on the '11-'13 models.

Thule and Mopar (which I think was a rebadged Thule) made cross-rails that did attach directly to these flush rails up untill recently. It only seems to have been w/in the past year that they've stopped making them. I have hear rumors that the mounts were failing at highway speeds when loaded with large cargo boxes or full baskets. These are still just rumors though as I've never seen a news article about this or a forum post from someone who experienced this. However, in today's litigious society just one incident could lead to a lawsuit that would make everyone run for cover.

The Yakima and Rhino decision to use the bolt holes that normally hold the flush rails to the jeep's roof as mounting points for their rails is pretty clever. At the very least it makes the flush rails look like they're doing something and not just there for decoration.

I wouldn't worry that you're a beta tester for the Yakimas. Whispbar was an independent company that was recently aquired by Yakima. The old Whispbar company has been making that mount for several years.
Carpecervisia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #109
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpecervisia View Post
I suspect that the low profile flush rails were designed more for esthetics and aerodymanics than for actual utility. The rails on the '14s are identical to the ones found on the '11-'13 models.
I would agree with this assertion. It is obvious that starting in 2011, aerodynamics ruled all decision-making at Jeep (Chrysler? Daimler? whatever) with respect to the Grand Cherokee. As well as all other platforms, except the Wrangler.

Quote:
Thule and Mopar (which I think was a rebadged Thule) made cross-rails that did attach directly to these flush rails up untill recently. It only seems to have been w/in the past year that they've stopped making them. I have hear rumors that the mounts were failing at highway speeds when loaded with large cargo boxes or full baskets. These are still just rumors though as I've never seen a news article about this or a forum post from someone who experienced this. However, in today's litigious society just one incident could lead to a lawsuit that would make everyone run for cover.
If that is the case (and I'm not saying it isn't), I would expect the Rail Grabbers to be discontinued, as they truly attach directly to the rails as well. The only ones that have been discontinued are the ones that (apparently) conveniently attached to the rail without the screwing clamps of the Rail Grabber, or the screw-in mount method of the K624 fit kit. The Rail Grabbers rely entirely on the integrity and stiffness/strength of the rails, and truly are held TO the rails by a piece of metal that hooks under the inboard edge of the rail, but only covers an inch of rail at the most. The beefy looking portion of the Rail Grabber mounts are simply sitting ON the rails; they take none of any tension load, and the only shearing load they resist is through the friction of the rubber feed of those mounts.

Quote:
The Yakima and Rhino decision to use the bolt holes that normally hold the flush rails to the jeep's roof as mounting points for their rails is pretty clever. At the very least it makes the flush rails look like they're doing something and not just there for decoration.
Pretty clever, I agree. The only thing I worry is by removing those screws, and either replacing them with the threaded shaft (Whispbar K624) or reusing them with the bracket (Rhino Rack), you have broken the water-tight(?) integrity of the rail-mounting to the roof. Just how well do those mounts resist water intrusion after the install?

Also, with the Whispbar, you're pretty much looking at a permanent installation, as there doesn't seem to be any provision for removing the load-bars unless you leave that threaded shaft in place and sticking up (best I remember from looking at the install instructions). At least with the Rhino, the bracket is screwed to the roof, then the towers to the bracket, and it even has a cover available for when the load bars are removed.

I'm beginning to think, as I typed the above, that the flush rails of the Grand Cherokee likely AREN'T the problem, but the head-sheds at Yakima and Thule. Rhino has taken the Yakima Whispbar mount idea a step further in convenience and utility. It really seems to me that Yakima has dropped the ball.
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #110
Medpilot
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Google " 2014 Jeep GC roof racks , amazon and eBay"

Turns out that someone is selling the $ 150 Amazon racks on eBay for $113.50 out of California .

They look identical except for the keys.

Mine are the Amazon sourced units... Very nice.... High quality .
I saw the ones on Ebay out of California and compared them to the ones on Amazon. The Ebay bars are gloss black (judging from the pictures) while the ones sold on Amazon are matte black.

I ended buying the ones on Amazon purely because I like matte better than glossy.

For those who bought the Amazon bars. I can't seem to tighten the inside bolt. It just turns without ever getting tighter. The outside bolt I had no problem with.

Anyone have the same problem?
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:48 AM   #111
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Tighten the inside bolt by lifting it up with a flat screw driver , which locks the internal nut . It will tighten up immediately.
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #112
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpecervisia View Post

I wouldn't worry that you're a beta tester for the Yakimas. Whispbar was an independent company that was recently aquired by Yakima. The old Whispbar company has been making that mount for several years.
I thought the same thing in this design with regards to esthetics. IMO, that's all they're good for....looking good.
The rails on the '14 MY are in fact different than my '13 WK2. If you look at the picture in post #80 in this thread, you'll see they changed the channel of the rail. Whether it's better or not, I can't say, but it's not the same as mine. Other than that, they look the same.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #113
Jughead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Tighten the inside bolt by lifting it up with a flat screw driver , which locks the internal nut . It will tighten up immediately.
I loosened the outside bolt then lifted the cross rail (still slightly gripping the side rail) about 1 inch and started tightening the inside bolt.
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #114
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are these weight ratings for driving load or static load? My wife wants a roof top tent and I'm trying to figure out what kind of bars I want to get.
1slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #115
redddog

Like...a tent that goes on the roof?
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #116
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Like...a tent that goes on the roof?
Yeah man! You've never seen a roof top tent? Check it out!

http://tepuitents.com/
1slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #117
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

just got my ebay bars in on Wednesday. They are mad black, paid $115 shipped and they were here in like 4 days. The keys are even Jeep logo'd so I am just going to say theses definitely appear to be just line pulls that someone in the factory happen to slide out the back while the mopars slide out the front. Happy sofar but only driven about 25 miles this morning with my kayaks both mounted so we'll see after I go up north this weekend with two kayaks mounted.
JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #118
redddog

Paid $113.50 shipped on monday and they came today.

Jeep keys. Seems perfect.
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #119
redddog

Does anyone know what the locks are even for?
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #120
bamihe

I'm about to pull the trigger on the ebay bars. Does anyone know if a kayak will fit on top with the factory antenna? 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
bamihe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.