Bars for Flush Roof Rails - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Bars for Flush Roof Rails

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #91
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrillWK2 View Post
Some pictures of the Mopar roof rack cross rails and THULE ski rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoM10s View Post
I have the Yakima Whispbar on my 2014 JGC. I only use it for my bike and ski's. It's a perfect fit. There is or at least was a Thule flush rack almost identical to this one. I drive regulary on highway at 75+ mph and no wind noise.
I'm glad I ran across this thread (again?). I'm getting sick of dealing with the Yakima Rail-Grab mounts, and am about ready to sink the money into either the Whispbar, or go the Rhino-Rack option. With the Aero bars, I'm hoping the rack accessories I already have that work with the round bars can span the aero-bar thickness...

rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #92
Dgravley

Another, much more expensive option you guys should consider is the Yakima Rack-n-roll trailer. I bought one because I didn't trust the GC rails to support two kayaks at highway speeds. I absolutely love it. When I'm not using it, it fold up and can leaned against a wall. Just took a 600 mile trip halling two kayaks on the trailer and I often forgot they were back there. Has zero effect on MPG. Certainly more expensive (2000$), but way more versatile.
Dgravley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #93
smljeep
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgravley View Post
Another, much more expensive option you guys should consider is the Yakima Rack-n-roll trailer. I bought one because I didn't trust the GC rails to support two kayaks at highway speeds. I absolutely love it. When I'm not using it, it fold up and can leaned against a wall. Just took a 600 mile trip halling two kayaks on the trailer and I often forgot they were back there. Has zero effect on MPG. Certainly more expensive (2000$), but way more versatile.
Got a link?
We're thinking of getting a trailer for our two yaks as well for the GC. Right now we're putting them on a rack on our F-350...
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #94
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspyder View Post
I'm glad I ran across this thread (again?). I'm getting sick of dealing with the Yakima Rail-Grab mounts, and am about ready to sink the money into either the Whispbar, or go the Rhino-Rack option. With the Aero bars, I'm hoping the rack accessories I already have that work with the round bars can span the aero-bar thickness...
I'm with you on Yakima's Rail Grab mounts. I've used their Low Rider mounts for years & they were way better. Much more secure & easier to mount or take off. But then, they were used on raised rails & not the flush mounted rails Jeep now uses. Frankly, IMO these flush rails blow. I do notice they changed the channel on the 14 MY, so maybe they're better for securing different towers. Except they're still too short, when they could easily be another 12-15" longer.
That's my only nitpick with my first Jeep. Otherwise, I love it.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #95
Dgravley

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...66-trailer.asp

There is also a slightly larger version.
Dgravley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #96
mjreiland
2014 WK 

Altitude / SRT8 really flush rails... like as in no rails

Anyone have any recomendations for roof bars for the 2014 GC Altitude which I believe has just covers where the rails should be similar to the SRT8. I believe there is a mopar part that clips onto the door frames.

Thanks.
mjreiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #97
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
I'm with you on Yakima's Rail Grab mounts. I've used their Low Rider mounts for years & they were way better. Much more secure & easier to mount or take off. But then, they were used on raised rails & not the flush mounted rails Jeep now uses. Frankly, IMO these flush rails blow. I do notice they changed the channel on the 14 MY, so maybe they're better for securing different towers. Except they're still too short, when they could easily be another 12-15" longer.
That's my only nitpick with my first Jeep. Otherwise, I love it.
Well, neither Yakima nor Thule have, in their standard or aero configurations, fit kits that allow usage of their load bars with the flush rails. The only fit kit available is one that grabs onto the door frame, apparently bypassing the flush rails entirely. And that goes for both my 2012 and the 2014 flush rails. Even if the rails are a different shape, the fit guides call for the same kits.

It looks like the Rhino Rack is the only option for using the factory rails. That or getting the factory crossbars. Maybe. Don't even know if you can still get those for the 2012.
Unread 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #98
classyjeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspyder
Well, neither Yakima nor Thule have, in their standard or aero configurations, fit kits that allow usage of their load bars with the flush rails. The only fit kit available is one that grabs onto the door frame, apparently bypassing the flush rails entirely. And that goes for both my 2012 and the 2014 flush rails. Even if the rails are a different shape, the fit guides call for the same kits. It looks like the Rhino Rack is the only option for using the factory rails. That or getting the factory crossbars. Maybe. Don't even know if you can still get those for the 2012.
The yakima whispbar system has ones that attach to flush rails.

S25 with K624
classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #99
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

I just installed the $150 Amazon racks . Arrived in two days . Installation in 15 minutes.

Just drove 125 miles at speeds up to 75 mph . Stone quiet.... Didn't even know anything was different .

No noise ..... No hit on mpg ..... Nice look ....

Keepers!
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #100
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyjeeper View Post

S25 with K624
I didn't run across those anywhere. Have you seen them recently? Everything I found was either door-frame mounted, or no longer available. I'll see if I can look them up by the kit number, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
I just installed the $150 Amazon racks . Arrived in two days . Installation in 15 minutes.

Just drove 125 miles at speeds up to 75 mph . Stone quiet.... Didn't even know anything was different .

No noise ..... No hit on mpg ..... Nice look ....

Keepers!
Is this just an Amazon brand? How did you find them? What search terms?
Unread 06-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #101
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspyder View Post
Well, neither Yakima nor Thule have, in their standard or aero configurations, fit kits that allow usage of their load bars with the flush rails. The only fit kit available is one that grabs onto the door frame, apparently bypassing the flush rails entirely. And that goes for both my 2012 and the 2014 flush rails. Even if the rails are a different shape, the fit guides call for the same kits.

It looks like the Rhino Rack is the only option for using the factory rails. That or getting the factory crossbars. Maybe. Don't even know if you can still get those for the 2012.
What exactly are you referring to when you say fit kit? The Rail Grab towers I have mount directly to the flush rails. I called Yakima after installing them & told them they weren't too secure for my comfort level. The rep told me they had a adapter kit for the WK2 & sent it free of charge. It is better, but I'd go back to the Low Riders if I could.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #102
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Google " 2014 Jeep GC roof racks , amazon and eBay"

Turns out that someone is selling the $ 150 Amazon racks on eBay for $113.50 out of California .

They look identical except for the keys.

Mine are the Amazon sourced units... Very nice.... High quality .
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #103
redddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Google " 2014 Jeep GC roof racks , amazon and eBay"

Turns out that someone is selling the $ 150 Amazon racks on eBay for $113.50 out of California .

They look identical except for the keys.

Mine are the Amazon sourced units... Very nice.... High quality .
Thanks for that!

Just pulled the trigger on those. Super cheap.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #104
Booch
2014 WK 

Quote:

S25 with K624
I have this setup installed on mine, now. Well, the S17 thru bars.

K624 isn't much of a "fit kit", as it just sits on top of the rails and holds by removing one of the flush rail screws, and replacing it with the one in the kit. But, the kit is required. I'm hoping they come out with a better one, because you are limited with the placement, and the rear one sits partly on top of the vinyl end covering.

I was a bit leery of it, but it worked fine last weekend. I drove 500 miles with a Rocketbox 12 on top, and everything survived. My mpg didn't change much at all, and was still around 21.5 mpg.
Booch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #105
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

S25 with K624
Well now I'm just ticked off! I wanted the "through-bars." Put those in any of the vehicle fit guides, and all it returns is the door frame mounts. But after your post, I tried the flush end bars, and it returned the K624, but the installation instructions show them fitting the through-bars! ARGH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
What exactly are you referring to when you say fit kit? The Rail Grab towers I have mount directly to the flush rails. I called Yakima after installing them & told them they weren't too secure for my comfort level. The rep told me they had a adapter kit for the WK2 & sent it free of charge. It is better, but I'd go back to the Low Riders if I could.
The "fit kits" are the various kits made to fit the towers directly to the set-up for specific vehicles. Kinda "custom" fit. I'm disappointed, coming from a succession of vehicles where I could fit bases to rails, then quick-install the load bars with various accessories pre-installed, to the tower bases. Now, I have the most expensive and luxury vehicle I've ever had, and the only mounts I could find (prior to the post above) were the Rail Grabbers, which are ****, sorry for the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
I have this setup installed on mine, now. Well, the S17 thru bars.

K624 isn't much of a "fit kit", as it just sits on top of the rails and holds by removing one of the flush rail screws, and replacing it with the one in the kit. But, the kit is required. I'm hoping they come out with a better one, because you are limited with the placement, and the rear one sits partly on top of the vinyl end covering.
More of a custom install, but sub-optimal, IMO, and barely better than ****, if any. So with that, you have to break the integrity of your roof, possibly opening it to water intrusion. And the rails essentially are just rub strips, or mounting strips to bear compression load, with the shear and tension load carried by that one extended screw. Not sure how I feel about that. Additionally, the install is semi-permanent. Not really something you can install and remove easily based on your usage.

Quote:
I was a bit leery of it, but it worked fine last weekend. I drove 500 miles with a Rocketbox 12 on top, and everything survived. My mpg didn't change much at all, and was still around 21.5 mpg.
At least it has that going for it: the bars (at least with the Whispbar installed) are relatively aerodynamic, so mileage shouldnt suffer with just the bars installed. Piss-poor set-up from Yakima and Thule, though, IMO.

ETA: still undecided which is worse. Have the rail grabbers now, may just stick with them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.