Bars for Flush Roof Rails - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Bars for Flush Roof Rails

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #151
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosvt View Post
They do a good job of keeping you out of reach of animals. They stay cleaner and bug free in comparison. They're solidly mounted, set it and forget it. Its one less thing to load in the back of the rig and in many cases uses previously unused room up on the roof. No need for level ground, its far easier to toss a couple rocks under a tire than it is to try and find a level flat spot for a ground tent. Built in mattress in most models. Some allow you to leave sleeping bags and pillows stowed with the tent too. No stakes, guide wires or ground covers. All season camping. Some better than others in this regard, they can be equipped with winter hoods, tent heaters, electric blankets, etc. Fast setup. Some as quick as a minute, most under 10 minutes from the time you turn of the ignition to the time your zipping up the door and slipping into your bag. They're said to be quite comfortable and roomy, depending on the model they can be well suited for 2-3 adults or 2 adults several children. They can be mounted over a pickup bed, over a flatbed, on a trailer as well as the conventional roof top setup.

My wife really likes the idea of being up away from the animals like coyotes and bugs. She also wants one so she can sleep on a mattress that isn't laying on the ground. I like the fast and easy setup. I'm hoping to get one before we go to the Outer Banks this fall.
We looked at them and at first thought they were a terrific idea. Gave it some thought and for us, not a good match. We usually head to a NP or SP and stay for several days. Our thoughts were it would be a PIA setting it up/taking it down every day, and being soft-sided, would not be allowed at many parks in bear country. We will be putting the money toward either a teardrop or hardsided pop-up trailer.

Unread 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #152
Janks01

Does anyone know what clamp will fit the Amazon OE style crossbars? I need to mount my rodvault on them and would like to avoid drilling in to the crossbars.
Janks01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #153
Jughead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks01 View Post
Does anyone know what clamp will fit the Amazon OE style crossbars? I need to mount my rodvault on them and would like to avoid drilling in to the crossbars.

I used these, worked perfect.

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=59506

1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #154
esu
1995 ZJ 

Finally took a quick road test and over 45 mph they howl like banshees. Guess Im gong to have to turn them around backwards? May be a stupid question but exactly how did you guys do it? Do you have to remove the cross bar from the mount and flip it around or will the mounts fit if I turn the hold thing around?
esu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #155
Jughead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esu View Post
Finally took a quick road test and over 45 mph they howl like banshees. Guess Im gong to have to turn them around backwards? May be a stupid question but exactly how did you guys do it? Do you have to remove the cross bar from the mount and flip it around or will the mounts fit if I turn the hold thing around?
Unscrew them just as you installed. Don't back either screw on each side all the way out. The cross rail part that clamps to the side rails should clamp to the side rail in either direction.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #156
redddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosvt View Post
They do a good job of keeping you out of reach of animals. They stay cleaner and bug free in comparison. They're solidly mounted, set it and forget it. Its one less thing to load in the back of the rig and in many cases uses previously unused room up on the roof. No need for level ground, its far easier to toss a couple rocks under a tire than it is to try and find a level flat spot for a ground tent. Built in mattress in most models. Some allow you to leave sleeping bags and pillows stowed with the tent too. No stakes, guide wires or ground covers. All season camping. Some better than others in this regard, they can be equipped with winter hoods, tent heaters, electric blankets, etc. Fast setup. Some as quick as a minute, most under 10 minutes from the time you turn of the ignition to the time your zipping up the door and slipping into your bag. They're said to be quite comfortable and roomy, depending on the model they can be well suited for 2-3 adults or 2 adults several children. They can be mounted over a pickup bed, over a flatbed, on a trailer as well as the conventional roof top setup.

My wife really likes the idea of being up away from the animals like coyotes and bugs. She also wants one so she can sleep on a mattress that isn't laying on the ground. I like the fast and easy setup. I'm hoping to get one before we go to the Outer Banks this fall.
Interesting. Would you happen to have a link to one of these?
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #157
esu
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Unscrew them just as you installed. Don't back either screw on each side all the way out. The cross rail part that clamps to the side rails should clamp to the side rail in either direction.
Thanks will give that a try.
Unread 07-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #158
esu
1995 ZJ 

Flipped the rails around today, wow, what a difference. Got it up to 60 or so and no noise, thx all. Now if I can just get my 95 ZJ to stop stalling,,, never ends does it?
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #159
Tweezer19
2014 WK 

I picked up a pair of the APGONLINE racks from Amazon. I assumed since they had a key they were at least secure but I was wrong. These things are pretty bobo but at least they fit securely to the flush rails. We'll see how they do this weekend with a SkyBox 16 full of gear. No noticeable noise up through 90 MPH so that's another +1 for the bobo racks.
Tweezer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #160
Janks01

Installed the OE style cross rails from Amazon a few weeks ago. No issues with wind noise at 70+

Janks01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.