JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Bars for Flush Roof Rails (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/bars-flush-roof-rails-1855930/)

JamuJoe 12-04-2013 08:20 AM

Bars for Flush Roof Rails
 
I need to fit cross bars to the flush rails on my 2014 GC Overland Diesel. Reviews of the MOPAR bars are pretty poor. I've landed on the Yakima Whispbar Flush 1000 & 1050, and would appreciate any feedback on this item. The Thule solution involves clamps to the door frame that may be stronger, but I don't like the appearance.

2kg4u 12-04-2013 08:36 AM

Looking for some for my 2014 Overland. What size do you need, and do you need to purchase a vehicle specific adapter kit. Are there specific part numbers you are looking at?

i20sailor 12-04-2013 08:52 AM

Thule has 2 options. Ones that clamp to the door frame (480/R foot pack + fit kit 1656) or ones that clamp to the flush rails (460/R foot pack + fit kit 4019). I used the 480 on my Ford Edge and they worked fine. I do like the look better if mounted to the existing rails, so I sold the 480 and bought 460. Also found that Aero Bars that worked on the Edge are too short for 480 set-up on Jeep and too long for 460 set-up. Since I can't go any shorter and still fit the roof box + 2 bike carriers I ended up extending the slot in the bars which works just fine for the 460 set-up.

onebluemcm 12-04-2013 05:50 PM

I have the Yakima railgrab towers and round bars - cannot recommend this set up because of the horrible howling noise it generates from 40mph and up. It is very solid though, and with the round bars all my older Yak stuff fits no problem. But the wind noise is just ridiculous.

hemispin 12-04-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebluemcm (Post 18255242)
I have the Yakima railgrab towers and round bars - cannot recommend this set up because of the horrible howling noise it generates from 40mph and up. It is very solid though, and with the round bars all my older Yak stuff fits no problem. But the wind noise is just ridiculous.

I just got the same set up a week ago. I got the 58" bars, but 48" would have been fine. I wanted them longer for additional tie down points.

I agree the wind noise is pretty bad. I just ordered a fairing so we'll see if that helps once I put it one.

I paid about $270 for the Yakima railgrab and the 44" fairing. The whispbar was like $500. I'm not paying that for two pieces of extrusion and mounts.

If the wind noise is still high, I'll just take it all off until I need it.

SessionRider 12-04-2013 08:04 PM

Because I had Thule Accessories from a previous vehicle I opted to go with a 50" Thule square bar, Thule 460R foot pack, and the 4019 fit kit mounted to the flush rails on my 2014 Overland. I was as bit skeptical about the fit kit but they are very solid once mounted.

i20sailor 12-05-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i20sailor (Post 18239282)
Thule has 2 options. Ones that clamp to the door frame (480/R foot pack + fit kit 1656) or ones that clamp to the flush rails (460/R foot pack + fit kit 4019). I used the 480 on my Ford Edge and they worked fine. I do like the look better if mounted to the existing rails, so I sold the 480 and bought 460. Also found that Aero Bars that worked on the Edge are too short for 480 set-up on Jeep and too long for 460 set-up. Since I can't go any shorter and still fit the roof box + 2 bike carriers I ended up extending the slot in the bars which works just fine for the 460 set-up.

I have the fairing for the Thule set-up and wind noise is no issue.

JamuJoe 12-05-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamuJoe
I need to fit cross bars to the flush rails on my 2014 GC Overland Diesel. Reviews of the MOPAR bars are pretty poor. I've landed on the Yakima Whispbar Flush 1000 & 1050, and would appreciate any feedback on this item. The Thule solution involves clamps to the door frame that may be stronger, but I don't like the appearance.

After further investigation, I ordered OE style crossbars from BRIGHTLINES via Amazon. Overwhelmingly positive reviews. The OE crossbars on my 08 GC Overland Diesel served perfectly with various Thule accessories.

2011-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Crossbars Roof Luggage Racks OE Style FAST SHIPPING
BRIGHTLINES
$149.99

Ungerer 12-05-2013 08:49 PM

I will be looking for bars to put led,s on in the new year . What are good bars for spot lights on ?

onebluemcm 12-05-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i20sailor (Post 18266978)
I have the fairing for the Thule set-up and wind noise is no issue.

Can you say what width faring you have?

i20sailor 12-06-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebluemcm (Post 18291082)
Can you say what width faring you have?

Not sure what width. I cut the edges off the lower end because they were interfering the the roof rails. The narrower one might not need the mod, but I had this one from my Ford Edge and it works well this way.
I'll try to measure this weekend.

Carpecervisia 12-13-2013 12:03 AM

I was looking to get a set of the Yakima Whispbars but I'm being told that the Fit Kit that works with the JGC rails is unavailable and being discontinued. Meanwhile it looks like Thule has also discontinued all of their Aeroblade bases that work with the rails. It's a bit odd that the two major rack brands are not providing their "aerodynamic" products for the JGC.

rnabors 12-13-2013 07:12 AM

OE bars
 
I am very happy with the Mopar OE bars.

Carpecervisia 12-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpecervisia (Post 18498273)
I was looking to get a set of the Yakima Whispbars but I'm being told that the Fit Kit that works with the JGC rails is unavailable and being discontinued. Meanwhile it looks like Thule has also discontinued all of their Aeroblade bases that work with the rails have been discontinued. It's a bit odd that the two major rack brands are not providing their "aerodynamic" products for the JGC.

To clarify: Both Thule and Yakima are offering the fit kits that clamp to the body, outside of the factory "bright" rails, but they've elimated the kits that attach to the rail itself.

I checked the Mopar site and, oddly, they're only listing the removable, outside the rails, Thule rack as being available for a 2014 JGC Limited.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82212072AC...1993811&b=jeep

So, why is everyone dumping their products that attach to the factory rails? Has Jeep made the '14 "bright" rails as useless as the old plastic ones?

Qmulus 12-13-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpecervisia (Post 18506473)
To clarify: Both Thule and Yakima are offering the fit kits that clamp to the body, outside of the factory "bright" rails, but they've elimated the kits that attach to the rail itself.

I checked the Mopar site and, oddly, they're only listing the removable, outside the rails, Thule rack as being available for a 2014 JGC Limited.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82212072AC...1993811&b=jeep

So, why is everyone dumping their products that attach to the factory rails? Has Jeep made the '14 "bright" rails as useless as the old plastic ones?

Well, I just went through buying a rack system and ended up getting a full Thule system that mounts to the factory rails (460R/419). All the pieces have not yet been delivered. Now I find out that may have been a mistake as Thule has made this combination obsolete because of (as told by a local Thule distributor) vibration and stability issues with heavier loads when mounted to the factory rails. I was told that they would be OK with skis or bikes, but not to put a cargo box on them. The factory rails _are_ pretty flimsy and the 419 clamps, which I have received, don't seem to have a lot to mount to.

It is kind of sad when a vehicle like this is outfitted with this kind of useless rail. It would have been better just to leave them off if you can't use them... I guess it opens up a great opportunity for the aftermarket. Jeep dropped the ball on this one. I am hoping Thule and/or Mopar come up with a suitable mount for crossbars with the original rails or replacement rails.


The time now is 01:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.