bad air conditoning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > bad air conditoning

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
mitchgendron

bad air conditoning

I just got my 2011 GC Laredo Trail Rated, the air conditioning works, blows cold air, just as one would want, but......

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and has a foul smell (to me anyway). I feel sick/ill with a 1/2 hour drive.

I'm not a huge fan of air conditoning, I'll typically leave a window open (sunroof if I had one) while I drive. It would be nice to drive without any windows down.

Anybody else have a similar issue ?
Something I should look into ?

mitchgendron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgendron
I just got my 2011 GC Laredo Trail Rated, the air conditioning works, blows cold air, just as one would want, but......

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and has a foul smell (to me anyway). I feel sick/ill with a 1/2 hour drive.

I'm not a huge fan of air conditoning, I'll typically leave a window open (sunroof if I had one) while I drive. It would be nice to drive without any windows down.

Anybody else have a similar issue ?
Something I should look into ?
One other post i saw previously. Mine smelled a tad when I first bought it (bought it used) But is fine now. You might want to look into a duct cleaner. I know wurth makes one, probably other ones out there too.
Jpiwonski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
mitchgendron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiwonski View Post
One other post i saw previously. Mine smelled a tad when I first bought it (bought it used) But is fine now. You might want to look into a duct cleaner. I know wurth makes one, probably other ones out there too.
It's only distinct with the air condition on, without out it it's fine, no smell nor taste leftover in mouth, I don't smoke in the vehicle either.

Nor am I a believer of "masking" the smell with a spray can (no offense to those who do). that's what air fresher are for lol

But thanks for the suggestion !
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
pwrdbym

Have you checked the cabin filter? Does it need to be replaced?
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

My Enclave was starting to get a bit of a musty smell when running the air. I figured there was maybe a little mold or something in the ducts. I don't particularly care for chemical air fresheners either. I tried this. I left it in air mode and turned the heat to the highest setting in all zones, and turned the blower on highest setting. I rolled all of the windows down and let it idle like this for 10-15 minutes. (I had to get out of the vehicle so I didn't roast). I did this a number of times over the course of several days. The smell got progressively less until it basically disappeared. I believe the heat killed off the mold or whatever was causing the smell. It worked for me, give it a try, it can't hurt. Also, my '08 Enclave didn't have a cabin air filter, but changing that also makes sense.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
ChrisOC

If it still under warranty, take it in. Mine had a similar thing, the dealer couldnt really smell it, but I stuck to my guns so they ended up flushing the system and the smell hasn't been back.
ChrisOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
mitchgendron

I've changed the Cabin air filter, a huge difference, didn't expect to see what I saw, nasty it was. Worse than any intake filter i've ever changed.
Smell isn't as punget as it was, still have a lingering smell once the air gets turned on. Thinking it'll fade away (fingers crossed).
Still have the ill feeling with the air on, but I've never been a fan of air conditioning. Slightly opened rear window it is !!
**Note to self, check it myself, never assume it was done**
Thanks Folks !
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Can you post pictures of the old filter. I have a morbid fascination of how these (and other filters) look after doing their job. Thanks.

Some examples.

xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
mitchgendron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
Can you post pictures of the old filter. I have a morbid fascination of how these (and other filters) look after doing their job. Thanks.

Some examples.

Those are nasty !!! I haven't got any pics, as I threw it out. It was though along the lines of your first pic posted.

I would've never imagined them to get that dirty, and to those who do have a C.A.F. check it regularly, this is what we're breathing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.