bad air conditoning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > bad air conditoning

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
mitchgendron

bad air conditoning

I just got my 2011 GC Laredo Trail Rated, the air conditioning works, blows cold air, just as one would want, but......

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and has a foul smell (to me anyway). I feel sick/ill with a 1/2 hour drive.

I'm not a huge fan of air conditoning, I'll typically leave a window open (sunroof if I had one) while I drive. It would be nice to drive without any windows down.

Anybody else have a similar issue ?
Something I should look into ?

mitchgendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgendron
I just got my 2011 GC Laredo Trail Rated, the air conditioning works, blows cold air, just as one would want, but......

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and has a foul smell (to me anyway). I feel sick/ill with a 1/2 hour drive.

I'm not a huge fan of air conditoning, I'll typically leave a window open (sunroof if I had one) while I drive. It would be nice to drive without any windows down.

Anybody else have a similar issue ?
Something I should look into ?
One other post i saw previously. Mine smelled a tad when I first bought it (bought it used) But is fine now. You might want to look into a duct cleaner. I know wurth makes one, probably other ones out there too.
Jpiwonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
mitchgendron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiwonski View Post
One other post i saw previously. Mine smelled a tad when I first bought it (bought it used) But is fine now. You might want to look into a duct cleaner. I know wurth makes one, probably other ones out there too.
It's only distinct with the air condition on, without out it it's fine, no smell nor taste leftover in mouth, I don't smoke in the vehicle either.

Nor am I a believer of "masking" the smell with a spray can (no offense to those who do). that's what air fresher are for lol

But thanks for the suggestion !
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
pwrdbym

Have you checked the cabin filter? Does it need to be replaced?
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

My Enclave was starting to get a bit of a musty smell when running the air. I figured there was maybe a little mold or something in the ducts. I don't particularly care for chemical air fresheners either. I tried this. I left it in air mode and turned the heat to the highest setting in all zones, and turned the blower on highest setting. I rolled all of the windows down and let it idle like this for 10-15 minutes. (I had to get out of the vehicle so I didn't roast). I did this a number of times over the course of several days. The smell got progressively less until it basically disappeared. I believe the heat killed off the mold or whatever was causing the smell. It worked for me, give it a try, it can't hurt. Also, my '08 Enclave didn't have a cabin air filter, but changing that also makes sense.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
ChrisOC

If it still under warranty, take it in. Mine had a similar thing, the dealer couldnt really smell it, but I stuck to my guns so they ended up flushing the system and the smell hasn't been back.
ChrisOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
mitchgendron

I've changed the Cabin air filter, a huge difference, didn't expect to see what I saw, nasty it was. Worse than any intake filter i've ever changed.
Smell isn't as punget as it was, still have a lingering smell once the air gets turned on. Thinking it'll fade away (fingers crossed).
Still have the ill feeling with the air on, but I've never been a fan of air conditioning. Slightly opened rear window it is !!
**Note to self, check it myself, never assume it was done**
Thanks Folks !
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Can you post pictures of the old filter. I have a morbid fascination of how these (and other filters) look after doing their job. Thanks.

Some examples.

xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
mitchgendron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
Can you post pictures of the old filter. I have a morbid fascination of how these (and other filters) look after doing their job. Thanks.

Some examples.

Those are nasty !!! I haven't got any pics, as I threw it out. It was though along the lines of your first pic posted.

I would've never imagined them to get that dirty, and to those who do have a C.A.F. check it regularly, this is what we're breathing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.