Automatic Switch to Night Mode on Display - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Automatic Switch to Night Mode on Display

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
stomachdoc

Automatic Switch to Night Mode on Display

Hi All--I've noticed that my Navigation Map stays in daytime mode--even when the headlights are on. I have the day/night option set to "Auto" in the setting panel. The daytime display is really bright. Anyone else notice this? I can manually switch to night display. I have the latest software upgrade installed. 8.4AN unit/Summit with a December '13 build date.

stomachdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Not sure what model year you have, but on the 2012, the rotary dimmer switch position will have an effect on the day/night mode. Try dialing down one notch.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

If operating correctly, you should be able to set to your desire in the "settings" mode.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Jeff_WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS
Not sure what model year you have, but on the 2012, the rotary dimmer switch position will have an effect on the day/night mode. Try dialing down one notch.
This.

Turn the interior light dimmer switch down so it is not in the detent position at max brightness. I couldn't figure out why my display would never switch to night mode and that was the reason. 2014 Overland 06/13 build date with latest software.
Jeff_WK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
FireRunt
2014 WK 

Same exact issue on my 2014 limited GC. I can't get it to switch to night mode when the automatic lights go on.
FireRunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunt View Post
Same exact issue on my 2014 limited GC. I can't get it to switch to night mode when the automatic lights go on.
Did you try turning the interior light dimmer switch down so it is not in the detent position at max brightness?
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
GU3R086

It's the dinner knob for sure. Top position = all lights on. Mid position = brightest locked then the lowest click allows it to switch back and forth with day and night modes automatically.

I was worried about it in my 2012 and stumbled on the answer.
GU3R086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:31 AM   #8
stomachdoc

Thanks!!!!!!!!
stomachdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
FireRunt
2014 WK 

That's all well and good, but when doing that it doesn't give you the same brightness in the car that you originally had.....plain and simple, it should just switch to night mode when your headlights go on. Shouldn't be too hard to program
FireRunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
GRB60
2014 WK 

Turning the headlight switch to off will cause a problem with the displays, too. Works best in auto mode.
GRB60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
PhillyAnt

These are the silly little things that keep pushing me away from buying my Summit. My Lincoln MKX just works. Nav is perfect. Lights work the way they are supposed to. Stereo is great. No problems in the snow, etc. I feel like I'm in a luxury vehicle when I drive it. I keep reading the various little problems that people post about their jeep having and it makes me feel like I am buying something that's trying real hard to be a luxury vehicle, but still has its training wheels on because it keeps falling short. I need to stop feeling so nervous about this purchase and just do it.
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
TurboRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
These are the silly little things that keep pushing me away from buying my Summit. My Lincoln MKX just works. Nav is perfect. Lights work the way they are supposed to. Stereo is great. No problems in the snow, etc. I feel like I'm in a luxury vehicle when I drive it. I keep reading the various little problems that people post about their jeep having and it makes me feel like I am buying something that's trying real hard to be a luxury vehicle, but still has its training wheels on because it keeps falling short. I need to stop feeling so nervous about this purchase and just do it.
Whats being described here isn't an issue, every car I have had the full max brightness on the dimmer keeps everything lit up no matter what, day or night. If you drop it one notch below everything is just a notch dimmer but also toggles between day and night modes - thats how it was in the 2 Lexus', M5, Avalanche, new Subaru, and Acura TL and now Jeep that I have owned. This might come as a surprise to some that have never had a screen in their vehicle.

Not sure how you can say this is something that doesn't "just work" - in this case it doesn't "just work" in an extremely large percentage of the car market. Also not totally sure why you are implying some of the other things you listed above don't "just work" in the Jeep...

Maybe go down and use it for yourself. Try not to mistake confusion about how something works and preference to something not working.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
PA - thing is, I don't know what some of the guys above are b!tching about.

On our 2012 Limited it works JUST FINE.

What people are having problems describing is that the dimmer rheostat for the interior lights has a variable position, and I believe THREE detents. ALL detents are at the MAX end of adjustment (meaning lights are set to max).

The first is the familiar interior lights ON constantly position.

the next, over-rides the auto-diming to make the system remain full bright (whatever you've selected on the NAV menus) all the time, regardless of light sensor input.

The last one down (closer to the adjustment position) accepts the over-ride from the light sensor, and will automatically dim when the lights come on if you've set the NAV display menu to dim.

THEN, anywhere down from that detent you have the variable settings, which also respond to the NAV dim.

So it works just fine, but MOST people don't bother to read their owner's manuals and then b!tch if they can't figure it out on their own.

The truth of the matter is that there are SOOOOO many new technological features on today's autos and there is not a whole lot of standardization from one brand to another, so people are going to be confused more easily if they don't bother to learn the brand.

THAT SAID, once you realize how it works you'll probably find that most of the Jeep controls make intuitive sense.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.