Auto / Manual Temperature Control Operation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto / Manual Temperature Control Operation

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

Auto / Manual Temperature Control Operation

I typically operate our Grand in the manual mode.
Lately, the A/C compressor has been engaging without selecting the auto mode or pressing the A/C button. We are bringing in outside air so the recirc. setting isn't the issue. I have noticed this for the past few weeks when the OAT exceeds 50 F.

Has anyone else experienced this?

ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I've noticed in my 2012 the AC light comes on in manual mode. Never seen it in auto. I called Jeep engineering and there is no way to control the compressor. Even when the light if off, the compressor can be on. So on a warm day, with a window down a little or the roof opened, the AC system may be on when it should not be. I guess I'd rather have a switch that really turned the compressor off or on.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

That's what I'm experiencing. The light is off but the compressor kicks in. It's a control thing with me but I would like the ability to override this function.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
ramonmaza
2012 WK 

yeah me too winter days and the compresor on ! no good for gas economy but.. i think the compresor turn on a few minutes then turn off automatic every period of time, same case in summer and that's good for gas economy
ramonmaza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

I thought that if you are in Auto mode, you hit A/C once to switch to manual mode (A/C on), and hit A/C a second time for manual mode, A/C off.
dmaccioc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

I never use auto mode but will try the procedure that you described. Thanks for the tip.
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

Should work - the AC light goes out when I do that.
dmaccioc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Again, in talking with Jeep engineers you cannot control the AC compressor light on or off. If the light is on then right, the AC is on. Check in the summer, pop the hood and look at the compressor.
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

trailguide,

I attempted the procedure today and the compressor is still engaged even though the AC light is off. Maybe one of the after market tuners can remedy this....
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I owned an old Olds Cuslass with automatic heating/cooling and it worked like the Grand and most likely all systems. I'm going to see if there is a wire that I can intercept with a switch to keep the compressor off. My 08 Mustang does not have an auto sys and I can turn the compressor off and on with the AC switch.
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
97HMCS
2012 WK 

By design, The A-C button does not illuminate when in auto mode.

Manual mode: If the system is in Mix, Floor or Defrost Mode, the A/C
can be turned off, but the A/C system shall remain
active to prevent fogging of the windows.

In manual mode, the only way to completely eliminate the A-C from being active would be to choose
Panel Mode (air comes from the outlets in the instrument panel).
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I sure wish this was true, that's exactly what I want. Cool air out the vents with NO compressor on at all. But it goes on and that's my complaint. Took it to Jeep experts and was told you have no control over the compressor, factors involved in this design are numerous. I'm going to add a switch to completly turn it off.
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
97HMCS
2012 WK 

But it is true (at least on the 2012 WK2). Mine works this way. I did initially have problems, but after the TIPM was replaced it now works as it should.

Have your dealer (Jeep experts) check page 404 of the Owners Manual:

"If Economy mode is desired, press the A/C
button to turn off the A/C mode in the ATC display and
deactivate the A/C system.
NOTE:
• If the system is in Mix, Floor or Defrost Mode, the A/C
can be turned off, but the A/C system shall remain
active to prevent fogging of the windows."

Sounds like something is not working properly on your vehicle.

There is also a TSB (No. 24-002-12) for the HVAC system. Although it is primarily for the remote start A-C issue, it wouldn't hurt to have it performed if you haven't already. This bulletin involves flash reprogramming for the Automatic Temperature Control Module,
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Trailguide
2012 WK 

OK, I see that. But remember also, each feature (pg. 404) operates independently of each other. If any one feature is controlled manually temperature control will continue to operate automatically. Therefore if it is 80 outside, and your temp settings are 75, the compressor will come on to lower the temperature in the truck. If winter ever ends I will look into this more fully and see what mine is doing. I have a 2012. The dealer did not tell me that you can't control the compressor, Jeep engineering did. Thanks for your information.
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
97HMCS
2012 WK 

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your knowledge.

I'm 99.9% sure my A-C compressor never runs in Economy Mode regardless of temp. setting.

I will double-check my operation too once the weather warms-up some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.