Auto Lock function on 2012 JGC limited missing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto Lock function on 2012 JGC limited missing?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
AIB

Angry Auto Lock function on 2012 JGC limited missing?

Hey,

I recently received delivery of 2012 JGC limited and to my surprise and the sales man's surprise the option of auto lock doors is missing from the system menu!! According to the sales man this option locks all doors once the car travels above a certain speed... Its a common saftey feature found in all the 2011's he had sold and in many other car brands (porsche, mercedes to name a few)...

Do all 2012's not have this option or is it only my JGC??? And if its missing from my car is there a software update where they can add it to my car (my dealer is currently checking with the head office in the states to see if this is possible but wanted to double check on the forum as I have notice there are many experts here)...

Many Thanks...

AIB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
felipito
2012 WK 

i have auto lock door, when i start and pass the 15miles per hour or 25 km per hour, the locks are automatically down. Is this what you ask?
Mine is 2012 Overland Dominican Republic.
felipito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
AIB

Yes that's exactly it... Strangely I have auto unlock doors option but no auto lock!
Unread 11-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check with your dealer about their PDI, maybe they missed something. Jeeps are shipped in 'ship mode' and as part of the PDI have to be changed to 'Customer Mode'. Maybe they missed something?
Redboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
kxc223

My 2012 Overland has this feature and it's working fine for me. There's got to be something wrong as I can't see them dropping that feature.
kxc223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

The auto lock feature can be activated/deactivated through the EVIC. At least it can on my 2011 GC Overland.
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
AIB

Thanks for the replies... I knew jeep wouldn't remove such an important safety feature on the 2012 (it seemed really weird)... Will call the dealer again today to have them double check their PDI process and confirm the car is in customer mode... In the EVIC in my car auto lock doors is missing, I compared my EVIC menu with an EVIC menu of a 2011 model in the showroom... I only have auto unlock doors...

Anyways, thanks for the informative replies... Will re-post the outcome...
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
pschofie
2012 WK 

I am in Australia and I just picked up my 2012 overland and yes it is missing on mine too, I am at the dealer now and he is enabling it via the starscan tool but he has confirmed that it is not a customer selectable option any more, really strange...
pschofie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So you're saying on the 2012's, it WON'T automatically lock the doors when you accelerate to above a certain speed???
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
AIB

Just got a call from the dealer, they want me to drop the car by the service center and they will hook it up to a computer and download the module from the states... Not sure how this will work technically but they said it'll take around 30 mins ??? Anyways will re-post exactly how it works once i do it... And yes the dealer said some 2012's don't come with the auto lock option in the EVIC??? But that it can easily be uploaded to the car... I think it's very stupid to not have it on the car and have to upload it later, this is after all a key safety option!!! Why not just have it uploaded before delivery...
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
pschofie
2012 WK 

I spent about three hours at the dealer my auto lock works now but no options to enable or disable on the EVIC very odd.

I would be keen to know if you get the option on your EVIC and would like to know exactly what has to be done so mine can be used via the EVIC
pschofie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
felipito
2012 WK 

That is strange...my 2012 overland is a export edition (Dominican Republic) and has it.
felipito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #13
AIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschofie View Post
I spent about three hours at the dealer my auto lock works now but no options to enable or disable on the EVIC very odd.

I would be keen to know if you get the option on your EVIC and would like to know exactly what has to be done so mine can be used via the EVIC
No problem... I will be taking the jeep to the dealer next week to upload the auto lock option... According to what the dealer told me it should be uploaded into EVIC and I hope he's right and not just talking out of his a$$ (they tend to do that a lot). If the service center can do it that way I will get a detailed procedure printed from them on how they did and post it up for you...
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Testudo
2012 WK 

I have a 2012 GC Limited and I am almost certain the doors auto lock at 15 mph. Will confirm on the way home from the office.
EDIT: auto lock works at 15 mph on mine and is a listed option on the EVIC.

Last edited by Testudo; 11-08-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Testudo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #15
AIB

Update : Took the car to the service center today and they hooked it up to their computers and activated the auto lock function from there... They didn't upload any module, they just activated it... So the option does not appear in my EVIC, its just permanently on... It was a 10 min job... Doors lock when the car hits 25 km/h...

They said some 2012's don't have the option in the EVIC as it has become a permanent safety option for some regions of the world, thus you shouldn't be able to deactivate it... However they forgot to activate it when the car arrived as it is by default deactivated when the car is in shipping mode and needs to be activated when the car is switched to customer mode....

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.