Auto high beams? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto high beams?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Matterhorn
2012 WK 

Auto high beams?

How exactly do the auto High beams work?

I have had the Jeep for a week now and they never seem to come on.

Matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You mean auto high beams right? Reflective light from roadsigns, edge reflectors, and overhead street lights often keep them on low beam.
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
WK2FAN
2012 WK 

SmartBeam™ — If Equipped The SmartBeam™ system provides increased forward lighting at night by automating high beam control through the use of a digital camera mounted on the inside rearview mirror. This camera detects vehicle specific light and automatically switches from high beams to low beams until the approaching vehicle is out of view.

NOTE: If the windshield or SmartBeam™ mirror is replaced, the SmartBeam™ mirror must be re-aimed to ensure proper performance. See your local authorized dealer.

To Activate

1. Enable the Automatic High Beams. Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)/Customer-Programmable Features” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

2. Turn the headlight switch to the AUTO headlight position.

3. Push the multifunction lever away from you (toward front of vehicle) to engage the high beam mode.

NOTE: This system will not activate until the vehicle is at or above 20 mph

To Deactivate

1. Pull the multifunction lever toward you (or rearward in car) to manually deactivate the system (normal operation of low beams).

2. Push back on the multifunction lever once again to reactivate the system.
WK2FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Matterhorn
2012 WK 

Cool thanks guys.
Matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
moymch
2013 WK 

I keep mine on all the time.
moymch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
WK2FAN
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymch
It works so well that I always keep mine on auto also. BTW it can even discern taillights and will dim your headlights if you approach another vehicle from behind. If you pull out to pass it will then switch back to high beams - pretty neat.
WK2FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
2MchFun
2011 WK 

I got tired of them switching off for no apparent reason when I needed them. Never turned the auto feature back on.
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
mpuzach
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2FAN View Post
It works so well that I always keep mine on auto also. BTW it can even discern taillights and will dim your headlights if you approach another vehicle from behind. If you pull out to pass it will then switch back to high beams - pretty neat.
I leave mine on all the time, too. They work very well although I owned the car for several months before all of the conditions were right for the high beams to light. As WK2FAN already pointed out, the system even recognizes when you're behind another vehicle with taillights illuminated in order to keep your lights limited to low beams. Our Jeep system seems to work much better than the old "Guidematic" auto dimming from General Motors!
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
pdaviss

High Beam Notification

My auto high beams were not working properly at all (had a Commander where they worked beautifully), On my Grand Cherokee they were coming on only as a car approached me or when I approached a car's tail light, completely opposite of how they are to function, told my dealer and they said my eztag was put on where it was blocking the "view" of the mirror, well, during this I had alot of drivers very upset with me, needless to say, and I would pull the lever towards me turning them off (guess overriding the menu) and it would tell me on the information center they were off, then if I pushed the lever back, the information center would tell me they were back operational. Well, with the eztag now moved, and the menu checked for auto high beams, they are not coming on at all, and moving the lever forward or rearwards gives me no verbiage in the information center, what is going on?
pdaviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
KickRocks
2013 WK 

I love the auto high beams.. such a cool feature
KickRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
FranksWK
2005 WK 

How do you know if your jeep is equipes with the auto high beam feature?
FranksWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I keep mine on all the time too. On sharp corners it will turn off, not knowing if a car is coming and then turn back on when straighten. Pretty neat.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
pdaviss

Auto High beams Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
You mean auto high beams right? Reflective light from roadsigns, edge reflectors, and overhead street lights often keep them on low beam.

True, but when you move the multifunction lever forward or backward, it should tell you in the menu display play is the are activated or not.
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
pdaviss

True, but when you move the multifunction lever forward or backward, it should tell you in the menu display play is the are activated or not.
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaviss
Only if you have the light button turned to auto , then the lever forward or backwards will put it up on the menu display.
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.