Anyone using a Dashcam ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone using a Dashcam ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
heavenclosed
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
I went to two different places and both were out of stock on Blackvue (good sign that people are buying it). Both these guys suggested to run the wires underneath the windshield. I asked them to get the power from rear view mirror (the way you are thinking) and both were hesitant. One guy said it is possible but he wouldn't recommend it simply because then he will be tampering with original equipment and manufacturer wont cover if something is wrong (rear view related) and needs fixing. Lot of you tube videos showing how to cover the wires. Another thing is that you have an option of having these cameras record in parking mode. I don think you will be able to draw the power from rear view mirror especially when your vehicle is off.
Try Autolismo.com.
THe vender is local (vancouver) and has a few generations of dash cams. Relatively inexpensive

Unread 07-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
boyvan
2012 WK 

I finally got Lukas LK 7900 today. All wires hidden. Including the parking mode. Had trouble locating interior fuse box so had to install it without accessing it.
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Webb
2012 WK 

Could you post pictures of it installed ?
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
boyvan
2012 WK 

I will post it soon.
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
Wk2downunder
2011 WK 

Forward facing camera is good but as most accidents are nose to tail there's a fair chance you'll be rear ended - where the camera is not focused .

Anyone got a system / rig fore & aft?
Wk2downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
boyvan
2012 WK 

You are correct WK2. You can get those cameras facing rear and of course forward. I believe those cameras are referred to as 2 Channel Dash cams. Not sure how insurance works where you are but here if you are rear ended (in most cases), its the other person's fault - unless you back into it. So even when you are rear ended, even then you can use your front camera as a witness to show that you were following the rules and you were hit by the other driver.
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
boyvan
2012 WK 

Anyways....as you can see wires are invisible. The only wire showing is in picture 2 - wire going to the battery in the center console. Picture 3 shows the battery (a perfect fit for this space) that supplies the power in the parking mode. Battery and the wires are on the top so it doesn't interfere when you open/close it. I will tape these remaining wires neatly. Center console would have been even neater if there was an internal fuse box. Last picture shows how the camera looks from outside.
photo.jpg   photo-1-.jpg   photo-2-.jpg   photo-3-.jpg  
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Wk2downunder
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan
.....as 2 Channel Dash cams. Not sure how insurance works where you are but here if you are rear ended (in most cases), its the other person's fault ......
Didn't know that 2 channel rigs were around - thanks! Will see if I can tap into the existing rear parking camera. Thanks boyvan.

And yep - same story down under: if you're hit from behind its their fault but nothing beats video to support the argument!
Wk2downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Anyways....as you can see wires are invisible. The only wire showing is in picture 2 - wire going to the battery in the center console. Picture 3 shows the battery (a perfect fit for this space) that supplies the power in the parking mode. Battery and the wires are on the top so it doesn't interfere when you open/close it. I will tape these remaining wires neatly. Center console would have been even neater if there was an internal fuse box. Last picture shows how the camera looks from outside.

That looks good,that's bigger than I thought,so that runs 24/7 or just when detects movement ?
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb

That looks good,that's bigger than I thought,so that runs 24/7 or just when detects movement ?
The camera sort of blends in. I put a black tape on to cover white serial #. Size wise, i guess this is a different shape than most dash cams. I like the led function in the parking mode.

To answer your question - when the engine is on then it records f/t. When in the parking mode, it starts when a movement is detected and that is when LED light comes on. You do have an option to turn LED off but it looks secured with LED flashing.

I wish GC had an internal fuse box. Right now I am having a bit of hard time with its battery (center console). It is heavy so it falls down so I need to tape it a bit more. I did an extensive research on dash cams and this was the cheapest and had all the features of other expensive camera - no wifi though.
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Looks good. I love how these blend in so well, especially when they are placed behind the tint at the top of the windshield. The only time people have noticed is when I point out. Or when my girlfriend thinks the truck is talking to me.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #27
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Wow. It appears you are pleased with it mostly so that is all that matters but I am just in disbelief at how the console looks. Terrible. Zip ties cut poorly. Tape and that little clip on the outside of the console. It would have been far better if they drilled a few holes in the console and ran them under the carpet (with looming of course) all the way up the A pillar. I assume there is a fuse somewhere, too? Most likely the DC adapter?

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #28
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01
Wow. It appears you are pleased with it mostly so that is all that matters but I am just in disbelief at how the console looks. Terrible. Zip ties cut poorly. Tape and that little clip on the outside of the console. It would have been far better if they drilled a few holes in the console and ran them under the carpet (with looming of course) all the way up the A pillar. I assume there is a fuse somewhere, too? Most likely the DC adapter?
Well....not everyone is an expert like you...;-) But now I am curious to know how you cut your zip ties? I thought there is only one way to cut the ties.

Anyways....I was disappointed to find out GC has no internal fuse box. I am still trying to figure out a way to get internal power then I won't have the battery but in the meantime - when the console is closed it looks good.....lol
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:

Well....not everyone is an expert like you...;-) But now I am curious to know how you cut your zip ties? I thought there is only one way to cut the ties.

I am still trying to figure out a way to get internal power then I won't have the battery but in the meantime - when the console is closed it looks good.....lol
Not an expert by any means but I worked as an installer on emergency vehicles so our work was immaculate so it would not fail in the field. Zip ties should have been cut all the way down not leaving 1/8 inch left over. Just looks bad is all. Why not run a fused power wire from the battery to the console? Surely the camera doesnt draw that much power. And if so just install a voltage monitor that will shut it down to protect the battery from dying?

Sent from my underground lair.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01

Not an expert by any means but I worked as an installer on emergency vehicles so our work was immaculate so it would not fail in the field. Zip ties should have been cut all the way down not leaving 1/8 inch left over. Just looks bad is all. Why not run a fused power wire from the battery to the console? Surely the camera doesnt draw that much power. And if so just install a voltage monitor that will shut it down to protect the battery drom dying?

Sent from my underground lair.
That is what the battery (center console) does my friend - it monitors the GC battery and when/if it goes below a certain volt, the camera will shut off. I wanna keep my Overland as is that is - no holes, and no ripping carpets. One wire is showing and to me its not a big deal. Once I figure out the power dilemma then that wire and battery will be hidden too. My GC is not driven to save any lives and I am sure 1/8 inch left over tie won't kill anyone....lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.