Anyone using a Dashcam ? - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Webb
Registered User
 
Webb's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Quincy,Massachusetts
Posts: 644
Anyone using a Dashcam ?

I'm not Russian but I'm looking for one to buy,anyone thinking about it ? I'm going to get this one soon.

http://www.amazon.com/GS1000-Display...s1000+with+gps


2012 Limited 4X4 Hemi,Maximum Steel Metallic ,730n & 20's.Average 9K's a year.
Webb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM
boyvan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 316
Looks good for the money but I would recommend getting a night vision. For this camera it says "Matching LED for supplementing light at night" not sure if this would be good at night. But keep us posted since I have been looking for a camera too? I tried another camera but then returned it within a week....can't remember the name now but it didn't have a night vision and it was very hard (almost impossible) to read the license plates at night.

BTW - what does you being a Russian have to do with buying a Dash Cam? Just wondering

_______________________________
2012 JGC Overland - Max Steel
boyvan is offline  
post #3 of 52 Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Webb
Registered User
 
Webb's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Quincy,Massachusetts
Posts: 644
Most of the Russians do have one,because of the scams.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/

2012 Limited 4X4 Hemi,Maximum Steel Metallic ,730n & 20's.Average 9K's a year.
Webb is offline  
post #4 of 52 Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM
heavenclosed
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Surrey
Posts: 26
I have one, but have not installed it yet. I need a micro SD card.

'12 Grand Cherokee Laredo X,
Accident Recorder, CF overlay of rear chrome piece, side chrome pieces removed, 2014 JGC badges on doors, Dipped grill matte black.
heavenclosed is offline  
post #5 of 52 Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,277
I have been eyeballing this one for months. Expensive but well worth it, IMO.

http://www.dieselboss.com/camera/car...order_dual.htm

There are a few videos online and on their site. Really good quality. I forget what country, not American of course. Koren maybe? Not sure but regardless...tons of features for the money.
Jackal01 is offline  
post #6 of 52 Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM
nyrhockey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 275
a few years ago my sister got into a car accident where some dumb teenager took a left turn in front of her. Unfortunately the kid's dad was a cop (in another town) so when he came to the scene he had a talk with his other cop buddies and turned it around on being my sister's fault. Since then i've considered having a dash cam because had my sister had one that day she could have sent those crooks to court, but never bought one.
nyrhockey23 is offline  
post #7 of 52 Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,205
BlackVue DR400G HDII
WhiteOut is offline  
post #8 of 52 Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM
boyvan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 316
Webb - did you install the camera? How is it?

I will be getting one within the next week or two and I have narrowed it down to two: blackvue dr500gw-hd OR finevu cr-500hd. Vancouver, BC was crowned as the second most congested city in North America so with that comes a lot of crazy and impatient drivers. So I think money spent on a good product will pay off if something was to happen and its not my fault.

Does anyone else have any other camera installed?

_______________________________
2012 JGC Overland - Max Steel
boyvan is offline  
post #9 of 52 Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Moochs4x4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Long island
Posts: 13
Yes a Panasonic but only at work and its hooked up to my dodge chargers laptop...seriously been thinking about one for my personal auto or a second one at work to save funny clips from for retirement video compilation.
Moochs4x4 is offline  
post #10 of 52 Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
johnnyiowa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Coralville
Posts: 2
I have the BlackVue DR500GW-HD in my car.
here is the video.

johnnyiowa is offline  
post #11 of 52 Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
MartyA
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 90
This is a review aggregator that I've found has good info. They recommend the DVR-027 and have a lot of great information about what's meaningful for features.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
MartyA is offline  
post #12 of 52 Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Webb
Registered User
 
Webb's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Quincy,Massachusetts
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
Webb - did you install the camera? How is it?

I will be getting one within the next week or two and I have narrowed it down to two: blackvue dr500gw-hd OR finevu cr-500hd. Vancouver, BC was crowned as the second most congested city in North America so with that comes a lot of crazy and impatient drivers. So I think money spent on a good product will pay off if something was to happen and its not my fault.

Does anyone else have any other camera installed?
No I haven't.I don't want the wires all over the place,I need to hook it up to the rear view mirror console,but I have no idea how to do it.

2012 Limited 4X4 Hemi,Maximum Steel Metallic ,730n & 20's.Average 9K's a year.
Webb is offline  
post #13 of 52 Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Webb
Registered User
 
Webb's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Quincy,Massachusetts
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyA View Post
This is a review aggregator that I've found has good info. They recommend the DVR-027 and have a lot of great information about what's meaningful for features.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
I don't think this one is Full 1080p.

2012 Limited 4X4 Hemi,Maximum Steel Metallic ,730n & 20's.Average 9K's a year.
Webb is offline  
post #14 of 52 Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 PM
boyvan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 316
I went to two different places and both were out of stock on Blackvue (good sign that people are buying it). Both these guys suggested to run the wires underneath the windshield. I asked them to get the power from rear view mirror (the way you are thinking) and both were hesitant. One guy said it is possible but he wouldn't recommend it simply because then he will be tampering with original equipment and manufacturer wont cover if something is wrong (rear view related) and needs fixing. Lot of you tube videos showing how to cover the wires. Another thing is that you have an option of having these cameras record in parking mode. I don think you will be able to draw the power from rear view mirror especially when your vehicle is off.

_______________________________
2012 JGC Overland - Max Steel
boyvan is offline  
post #15 of 52 Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 PM
XJ2WK2
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
I went to two different places and both were out of stock on Blackvue (good sign that people are buying it). Both these guys suggested to run the wires underneath the windshield. I asked them to get the power from rear view mirror (the way you are thinking) and both were hesitant. One guy said it is possible but he wouldn't recommend it simply because then he will be tampering with original equipment and manufacturer wont cover if something is wrong (rear view related) and needs fixing. Lot of you tube videos showing how to cover the wires. Another thing is that you have an option of having these cameras record in parking mode. I don think you will be able to draw the power from rear view mirror especially when your vehicle is off.
Check here: they put one in my Subaru and seem to be the best source locally.
http://artofspeedracing.ca/
XJ2WK2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome