Anyone using a Dashcam ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone using a Dashcam ?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Webb
2012 WK 

Anyone using a Dashcam ?

I'm not Russian but I'm looking for one to buy,anyone thinking about it ? I'm going to get this one soon.

http://www.amazon.com/GS1000-Display...s1000+with+gps

Unread 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
boyvan
2012 WK 

Looks good for the money but I would recommend getting a night vision. For this camera it says "Matching LED for supplementing light at night" not sure if this would be good at night. But keep us posted since I have been looking for a camera too? I tried another camera but then returned it within a week....can't remember the name now but it didn't have a night vision and it was very hard (almost impossible) to read the license plates at night.

BTW - what does you being a Russian have to do with buying a Dash Cam? Just wondering
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Webb
2012 WK 

Most of the Russians do have one,because of the scams.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
heavenclosed
2012 WK 

I have one, but have not installed it yet. I need a micro SD card.
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have been eyeballing this one for months. Expensive but well worth it, IMO.

http://www.dieselboss.com/camera/car...order_dual.htm

There are a few videos online and on their site. Really good quality. I forget what country, not American of course. Koren maybe? Not sure but regardless...tons of features for the money.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
nyrhockey23

a few years ago my sister got into a car accident where some dumb teenager took a left turn in front of her. Unfortunately the kid's dad was a cop (in another town) so when he came to the scene he had a talk with his other cop buddies and turned it around on being my sister's fault. Since then i've considered having a dash cam because had my sister had one that day she could have sent those crooks to court, but never bought one.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

BlackVue DR400G HDII
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
boyvan
2012 WK 

Webb - did you install the camera? How is it?

I will be getting one within the next week or two and I have narrowed it down to two: blackvue dr500gw-hd OR finevu cr-500hd. Vancouver, BC was crowned as the second most congested city in North America so with that comes a lot of crazy and impatient drivers. So I think money spent on a good product will pay off if something was to happen and its not my fault.

Does anyone else have any other camera installed?
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Moochs4x4

Yes a Panasonic but only at work and its hooked up to my dodge chargers laptop...seriously been thinking about one for my personal auto or a second one at work to save funny clips from for retirement video compilation.
Moochs4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
johnnyiowa

I have the BlackVue DR500GW-HD in my car.
here is the video.

johnnyiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
MartyA
2012 WK 

This is a review aggregator that I've found has good info. They recommend the DVR-027 and have a lot of great information about what's meaningful for features.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
Webb - did you install the camera? How is it?

I will be getting one within the next week or two and I have narrowed it down to two: blackvue dr500gw-hd OR finevu cr-500hd. Vancouver, BC was crowned as the second most congested city in North America so with that comes a lot of crazy and impatient drivers. So I think money spent on a good product will pay off if something was to happen and its not my fault.

Does anyone else have any other camera installed?
No I haven't.I don't want the wires all over the place,I need to hook it up to the rear view mirror console,but I have no idea how to do it.
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyA View Post
This is a review aggregator that I've found has good info. They recommend the DVR-027 and have a lot of great information about what's meaningful for features.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
I don't think this one is Full 1080p.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
boyvan
2012 WK 

I went to two different places and both were out of stock on Blackvue (good sign that people are buying it). Both these guys suggested to run the wires underneath the windshield. I asked them to get the power from rear view mirror (the way you are thinking) and both were hesitant. One guy said it is possible but he wouldn't recommend it simply because then he will be tampering with original equipment and manufacturer wont cover if something is wrong (rear view related) and needs fixing. Lot of you tube videos showing how to cover the wires. Another thing is that you have an option of having these cameras record in parking mode. I don think you will be able to draw the power from rear view mirror especially when your vehicle is off.
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
XJ2WK2
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
I went to two different places and both were out of stock on Blackvue (good sign that people are buying it). Both these guys suggested to run the wires underneath the windshield. I asked them to get the power from rear view mirror (the way you are thinking) and both were hesitant. One guy said it is possible but he wouldn't recommend it simply because then he will be tampering with original equipment and manufacturer wont cover if something is wrong (rear view related) and needs fixing. Lot of you tube videos showing how to cover the wires. Another thing is that you have an option of having these cameras record in parking mode. I don think you will be able to draw the power from rear view mirror especially when your vehicle is off.
Check here: they put one in my Subaru and seem to be the best source locally.
http://artofspeedracing.ca/
XJ2WK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.