Anyone replace a tpms sensor by themselves? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-26-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Anyone replace a tpms sensor by themselves?

So went to dealership for state inspection. Informed them that the tpms sensor in right front tire is bad. It will display wrong psi and light will come on. Well I go to pick up my jeep and read the paperwork and they never replaced the sensor. Service writer says mechanic said light was not on so they could not replace it. The light has been on for 2 months. So as soon as I drove out of the lot what happens THE LIGHT CAME ON. Now indicating the right rear tire is low since I had the tires rotated while it was being serviced. I am so sick of dealership crap thats why I no longer am a mechanic. The only reason for going to the dealership was because I bought the jeep there and still had several months left on the warranty. Sorry for the rant but has anyone attemped to replace a tire sensor? I think the hard part may be unseating and reseating the bead on the tire.

Thanks

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2

Last edited by metalhead; 09-26-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 PM
JeepGC4me
2011 WK 

I bought a whole new set off eBay for my winter tires. Installed them in the winter rims and they work flawlessly. Donít even have to reprogram anything when I change tires each season. Jeep learns the new sensors without missing a beat.

So... yes, you can definitely replace them and the Jeep will learn the new sensor on its own without any programming at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.6L - Overland
post #3 of 9 Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yes hard part is the tire thing. A tire shop will remove the tire, replace the sensor, clean it up, and install/balance the tire. Local tire shop charged me $20 labor to do one (I provided the sensor). They like to sell you their sensor, however.

If the sensor/stem is corroded you may have to cut it off. Recommend OEM sensors as those seem to be less trouble. Often you find them on eBay for a good price. The OEM sensors may be loosing battery charge, it may be prudent to change them all... but many here just live with the icon.

The bad sensor probably has a marginal battery, it should eventually die altogether, especially in colder weather.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 PM
martin12qw

I did it last week.
Not too bad.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2017, 07:40 PM
martin12qw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
A tire shop will remove the tire, replace the sensor, clean it up, and install/balance the tire.
They did it for me, and it leaked, twice, two tires.
No need to remove the tire, you can remove the sensor and install by just press the tire off the bead.
No need to balance, neither
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 AM
eibyer

If your tires are still balanced, a good local shop will just mark the tires and wheels and they'll swap out the sensors. I bought a set from ebay that I had installed on the wrangler wheels..
post #7 of 9 Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Thanks for the replies. going to order sensor today. Still not sure if I will do it myself or just have a tire shop do it.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2017, 07:25 AM
polizei

I purchased 4 sensors off ebay and one finally failed after 3 years. I went to my local Discount Tire and paid the same amount for one sensor as I did the 4 from ebay, but it carries a warranty through them, so I figured it was worth it.

I personally wouldn't mess with it, they'll change it out for cheap and have the proper tools.

2014: RRO 2.5" Lift, 32" LT275/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro-Comp 7089, XenonDepot HID Kit
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Today I had a local tire shop replace the tire sensor. $18 bucks good deal.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.