Anyone have steering vibration issues with RRO lift? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone have steering vibration issues with RRO lift?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #31
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to have the wheels balanced at a shop with the Road Force Balancer this week to see if it helps at all.

img-20120805-00977.jpg  
CaniacNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #32
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Stock 18in wheels

Borrow a set of stock 18" OEM wheels and have tires mounted and see if problem is still there. Chances its the tires are slim. Toyo makes a quality product and has excellent quality control unlike Goodyear and BFG.

Best tires shops also offer the ability to balance the tires/wheels while they are on the vehicle.

Did the shop rotate tires front to rear and see if the problem still exists.

Problem may also be the shop and their incompetence. Telling you to live with it isnt good customer service.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacNation View Post
I'm going to have the wheels balanced at a shop with the Road Force Balancer this week to see if it helps at all.
Wow, didn't realize you had the 70th Bronze Pearl. That's exactly what I have. Looks really good with the blacked out grill. How'd you black it? Also, how much of a hit have you noticed on the power and mpg's going to a bigger tire?
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #34
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Btw

You may want to try taking it to the top tire store in your area and see what they say. Top Tire Store is the one the track day guys and girls use for their tires. They will have a competent staff who can properly balance and mount tires and diagnosis tire, wheel and balance issues.

Have you measured you driveline angles etc.

Contact Toyo and see if their tech support has any suggestions. Their tech support is some of the best in the tire industry.

Borrow wheels and tires from another GC owner and mount and see what happens.
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #35
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

This is good advice Dave, I am going to put my stock wheels/tires back on and see if there is a difference as well. Caniac Nation, the jeep looks great.
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #36
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post
Wow, didn't realize you had the 70th Bronze Pearl. That's exactly what I have. Looks really good with the blacked out grill. How'd you black it? Also, how much of a hit have you noticed on the power and mpg's going to a bigger tire?
I just pulled the grill and back lift gate chrome piece off. They come off surprisingly easy if you just keep pulling with steady/even pressure. Once the first tab breaks free, the rest just lay down and let you have your way with them. I just spray painted them, and honestly they look like Scheiße. I was thinking of pulling them again and use plastidip in the spray can, but I don't think those on here who have used that stuff are 100% happy with the results, so I'll just order the black pieces from Mopar eventually.

BTW, I love the interior of this edition.
CaniacNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
webspoke

Do the wheels have the oem center bore (71.5) or adapter rings to keep them hubcentric? My combination had vibrations until I could get the hubcentric rings. That reduced it dramatically, and then my tire store takes extra care to balance and mount, including torquing the wheels with them off the ground(someone inside holding the brake). The wider offset also makes any small imbalance feel worse.
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #38
JeepWK2R
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspoke View Post
Do the wheels have the oem center bore (71.5) or adapter rings to keep them hubcentric? My combination had vibrations until I could get the hubcentric rings. That reduced it dramatically, and then my tire store takes extra care to balance and mount, including torquing the wheels with them off the ground(someone inside holding the brake). The wider offset also makes any small imbalance feel worse.
No, the center bore on these wheels is larger. Where did you get you hubcentric ring, and would they be centric to the wheels?
JeepWK2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #39
webspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWK2R View Post
No, the center bore on these wheels is larger. Where did you get you hubcentric ring, and would they be centric to the wheels?
If procomp can't provide them, there are other company's that manufacture them to typical sizes. If you can find out the bore on the wheels, check out motorsport-tech.com they either have or can build one to mate up to the jeep hub and your wheel. Your tire store may be able to source them as well.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #40
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Why?

Would you buy a wheel that is not hub centric or doesn't have the rings to make it hub centric???
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #41
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Would you buy a wheel that is not hub centric or doesn't have the rings to make it hub centric???
Because they make lug centric wheels.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #42
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Lug centric

Lug centric wheels have always been iffy. I would never buy a lug centric wheel. A wheels needs to be hub centric and the lug nut holes need to be the correct size and in correct location.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #43
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

I don't understand the hub centric vs. lug centric - can someone explain to help those of us off that have the non-hub centric aftermarket wheels? Of course, the guy at ProComp and the shop that sold me the wheels never mentioned this issue, but shame on me for not being informed. Thanks
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #44
masscomguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 View Post
I don't understand the hub centric vs. lug centric - can someone explain to help those of us off that have the non-hub centric aftermarket wheels? Of course, the guy at ProComp and the shop that sold me the wheels never mentioned this issue, but shame on me for not being informed. Thanks
Hub centric wheels lock to the center ring of the hub. They are guaranteed to be centered on the wheel. Lug centric means that the lugs are used to center the wheel.
masscomguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #45
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masscomguru View Post
Hub centric wheels lock to the center ring of the hub. They are guaranteed to be centered on the wheel. Lug centric means that the lugs are used to center the wheel.
That is what I thought, thanks for the info. I'm going to check w/ ProComp again to see if they have the centering disks or whatever they're called.

To the OP - any update with your setup?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.