Anyone have steering vibration issues with RRO lift? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone have steering vibration issues with RRO lift?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
JeepWK2R
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacNation View Post
Yeah, they basically told me 'live with it' at the shop today. I love the fact that I just dropped $1700 on this wheel/tire setup, only to have to deal with this now. I'm hoping once they get some more miles on them, these tires will get better, or I'll just have to wait for them to burn up and just get something different next time around.
I doubt it would get better, but it's possible. More so with wide/tall tires, they tend to get louder and rougher, in terms of ride quality, as they wear on.

JeepWK2R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

I guess I could take them off and sell second hand since they are like new. What really sucks is that I was going to get DynaPro A/T's, but they were out of stock so I went with the Toyo's, which I had good experiences with on other trucks in the past. What a fart-knocker I am!
CaniacNation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

My two cents: deal with the vibration or sell the Toyos now before too much wear and tear is done so you can get a good amount of money back. Not gonna get what you paid (unless you find a sucker) but might be better than waiting a while to get new tires.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
lharrell79

Are you sure it's the tires and wheels, or are you going by what the shop is telling you. In my opinion they are full of dookey. I have ran many size tires, large and small, and they can be balanced. I'm currently running 35x12.5's on my TJ, and they are smooth as silk.

Has anyone swapped the stock tires and wheels back on, and verified that the vibrations went away? I also know that sometimes tires are "duds" from the factory, and cannot be balanced. My dad once bought a new set of tires from Sam's Club, and got vibrations as soon as he left. He took it back, and they had one tire that they absolutely couldn't get balanced. They ended up swapping it, and that fixed the problem.

How confident are you with your shops work? Do they know what they're doing?
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
Qrex
2011 WK 

Let me ask you this; what is the load rating of these tires you just purchased?
The reason I ask is that I kind of went through this same thing a couple years back. I had an '06 Liberty that I put a 2.5" Frankenlift, aftermarket upper control arms and a set of BFG Mud Terrains T/A KM2's with an "E" Load Rating. The only size I could get that would fit were "E" load rated. I wanted these tires to work sooo much, but when I had them on my Liberty they vibrated and caused sooo much noise I couldn't stand it after a week. The "E" Load Rated tires are so dense and heavy with those 10-plys of material in them that they just kind of overwhelmed my little Libby. A test drive in a friends FJ with "D" Load Rated KM2's revealed a much smoother, quieter ride. Discount Tires took the set I had back and I got some "D" Load Rated A/T's instead.
Qrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrex View Post
Let me ask you this; what is the load rating of these tires you just purchased?
The reason I ask is that I kind of went through this same thing a couple years back. I had an '06 Liberty that I put a 2.5" Frankenlift, aftermarket upper control arms and a set of BFG Mud Terrains T/A KM2's with an "E" Load Rating. The only size I could get that would fit were "E" load rated. I wanted these tires to work sooo much, but when I had them on my Liberty they vibrated and caused sooo much noise I couldn't stand it after a week. The "E" Load Rated tires are so dense and heavy with those 10-plys of material in them that they just kind of overwhelmed my little Libby. A test drive in a friends FJ with "D" Load Rated KM2's revealed a much smoother, quieter ride. Discount Tires took the set I had back and I got some "D" Load Rated A/T's instead.
Absolutely correct with the Load Rating. I was going to get Falken Rocky Mountain's but the fella at Discount advised against it because of potential vibrations and needless weight. I went a different route and no vibrations. Forgot to mention that earlier.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
Big50
2012 WK 

It's pretty common to get vibrations when upsizing and moving to a more aggressive tire. My F150 did the same thing. Just accept that it's normal and you'll get used to it and won't even notice it given enough time. You can try getting it road forced balanced which may help
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

The tires are P275-65-18, which are not 10 ply LT version. Yes, the shop put the stockers back on and no vibrations. The wheels I bought are 0mm offset, so they do stick out further than stock for a wider stance, and the shop is blaming this more than the tires. They have balanced these tires 3 times and they are at 0.0 after every balance. The worst any one tire was ever out was 0.5. I know other people on this forum are running this exact wheel, because I saw the pics and loved the look. It just stinks that the tires I chose would cause this problem. Maybe I'll see what a tire shop will give me for them in trade. I hate losing money like that though...so maybe I'll just deal with it for this round of tires and do more research on the next set.
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #24
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Unless you have a bad or out of round tire, I don't think it's an issue with just the toyo tires. I have same tires and wheels a's you and I think we have to understand that we are running our jeeps at the maximum suspension angles 100% of the time, which they're really not designed to do. Plus, aftermarket wheels with a significantly different offset are probably more of an issue than the tires that are only one size up from stock. I bet if you put the toyos on stock wheels you would notice a better ride. I was warned by a very knowledgeable offroad shop that the wk2 with 4 wheel independent suspension is VERY sensitive to aftermarket suspension and different sized wheels and tires. They actually refused my business because of this. Bottom line is that we are responsible for doing research and we shouldn't be surprised if things aren't perfect.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

MJ11, I agree, which is why I came to this forum to search what others had done, and didn't read one thing about anyone having this issue after the RRO lift and new wheels/tires. The bottom line for me is that my Jeep now looks 100x better than before, and drives 90% as well, so I'll deal with it until the next round of tires. I'm sure as some previous posters said, I'll probably just get used to it. Also, I'm now able to go out on the beach near my vacation home without getting stuck. I would air down to 20 lbs in the stockers and get stuck regularly due to the ridiculous ground clearance and plowing of the sand.

I will post some pics soon.

Thanks for all the input people.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
JeepWK2R
2012 WK 

Quote:
MJ11, I agree, which is why I came to this forum to search what others had done, and didn't read one thing about anyone having this issue after the RRO lift and new wheels/tires. The bottom line for me is that my Jeep now looks 100x better than before, and drives 90% as well, so I'll deal with it until the next round of tires. I'm sure as some previous posters said, I'll probably just get used to it. Also, I'm now able to go out on the beach near my vacation home without getting stuck. I would air down to 20 lbs in the stockers and get stuck regularly due to the ridiculous ground clearance and plowing of the sand.

Good point about the load ratings from the other member. You may also want to try asking (probably too late at this point, since they may not want your business) the shop to rotate the tire on the rim, so that you can compensate for any slight out-of-roundness; but, this might also not do much. I say this, since the QC process for today's tire manufacturers is so advance, that there's very little chance that you might get diffective tires.
JeepWK2R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
lharrell79

Carniac, a couple of things. DO NOT accept the vibrations. Trust me, that is not an aggressive tire, it is not a large tire, and you should have zero vibrations if they're balanced correctly.

First, is this a reputable shop, and do they specialize in tires and wheels? Are they using a Road Force Balancer? You and the shop have determined that it is indeed the tires/wheels. One of a few things are going on.

1. Air pressure is off. Check the pressure.
2. Lug tightness is off. Did they use a torque wrench, and do you have access to one?
3. You have a tire/wheel that is not balanced correctly. Even if they say they are at 0, another shop might get different readings. Take them to a shop with a Road Force, and see what they get.
4. You might have an "out of round" tire. Every once in a while, a tire will leave the factory out of round, or sit in a warehouse, and get out of round. These tires can be balanced perfectly, but when driving down the road, they will rotate like an egg.
5. You have a tire with a flat spot. Again, tires can leave the factory with flat spots, or get them from sitting too long. Same thing as above, it will balance, but when driving, it will hit the flat spot when rotating.

Now, with all that said, you indicated in your first post that you only get the vibrations at a certain speed. So you should be able to rule out a flat spot. However, 1-4 could certainly apply. I would not settle for $1700.00 tires and wheels that vibrate. That is unacceptable. These are street tires, and should ride smooth as silk. Take them to a shop that knows how to deal with tire problems. If they determine that it's an out of round tire, take it back and demand a replacement. Trust me, out of round tires are not uncommon.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #28
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Quote:

I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing you - I agree that it's disappointing to have these vibrations and I did the same thing you did, checked out the forums, and I didn't see anyone saying they had any issues. I just think that we're in uncharted territory because we're the first ones really lifting these WK2's and as we rack up miles we're discovering little issues here an there. I just meant to convey that we had to figure eventually some issues would come up right? I really don't even notice a vibration anymore so I can't tell if I'm used to it or it went away after I got a few hundred miles on my tires.

And I agree with you - the stock tires/ground clearance on these things without the QL are basically useless, the clearance in the front is terrible so for even minor off roading, in my opinion, the lift is a necessity.
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #29
Qrex
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 View Post
the stock tires/ground clearance on these things without the QL are basically useless, the clearance in the front is terrible so for even minor off roading, in my opinion, the lift is a necessity.
Oh c'mon; it's not all that bad, now, is it? It seems to me, at least at first glance, our GC's have a little better clearance than the new Range Rovers... Don't we have about 10 inches clearance, stock?
Qrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Ten inches on a stock non ql? Not even close? Range rovers have more, range rover sports are probably similar at the diff. But the front fascia hangs really low on the wk2, the front end ground clearance was the issue for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.