Anyone have steering vibration issues with RRO lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone have steering vibration issues with RRO lift?

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

Anyone have steering vibration issues with RRO lift?

Had the RRO lift installed along with new 18" ProComp 7036 wheels and 275/65/18 Toyo A/T tires. I'm having some pretty noticeable vibrations starting at around 40 MPH and continuing up through highway speeds. It will smooth out randomly, but not at any particular MPH, like you would expect with unbalanced wheels. I'm bringing it back to the shop in a couple days when my new TPMS sensors get in, and I'll see what they have to say. Anyone have any input from experience so that I'm armed with info when they tell me it's normal or there's nothing they can do about it?

Thanks in advance,
Caniac Nation

CaniacNation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
lharrell79

Sounds like out of balance tires. Did they do an alignment? Also, the RRO lift does put the CV axles at a more extreme angle. So you might just be getting some vibes from your axles.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

They are going to check the wheels again, but they balanced, or said they did, when they did the install. They also did the alignment. It drives fine except for the vibrations. I thought the RRO lift was supposed to a simple lift with very little affect on the suspension and drive train since it's like having the QL option, only raising the Jeep to the limits of what that system does. I'm hoping it is just the out of balance tires.
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacNation View Post
They are going to check the wheels again, but they balanced, or said they did, when they did the install. They also did the alignment. It drives fine except for the vibrations. I thought the RRO lift was supposed to a simple lift with very little affect on the suspension and drive train since it's like having the QL option, only raising the Jeep to the limits of what that system does. I'm hoping it is just the out of balance tires.
The RRO lift is not like having the QL option. With QL, when you're using the OR1 setting (1.3") the vehicle speed must be kept under 48mph. If the vehicle speed is between 40 to 50 mph for more than 20 seconds, the QL will automatically lower the setting back to NRH (normal ride height). When using the OR2 setting (2.6"), the speed must be under 20mph, or it will set back to NRH.

Driving in OR1 and OR2 puts the CV axles, control arms, tie rods, etc. at greater than normal angles. This is why the Jeep engineers have limited the usable speed. QL jeeps are not meant to be driven at highway speeds in OR1 and OR2 for a reason.
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

I see...thanks for clarifying that. I'm sure there's enough people with the RRO lift out there that if the vibrations I'm getting were anything other than out of balance wheels, someone else would have experienced what I have going on right now. Hopefully my TPMS sensors will be in the mailbox when I get home so that I can go back to the shop and have them look at it.
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacNation View Post
I see...thanks for clarifying that. I'm sure there's enough people with the RRO lift out there that if the vibrations I'm getting were anything other than out of balance wheels, someone else would have experienced what I have going on right now. Hopefully my TPMS sensors will be in the mailbox when I get home so that I can go back to the shop and have them look at it.
Hopefully it is just the alignment or tires. Do you still have the stock tires and wheels? If so, throw them on and see if it makes a difference. Check the lug nuts as well. Maybe they're a little loose. Make sure the shop knows what they're doing. My experience with lifted Jeeps is that they look good and perform better offroad, but will never ride as good as factory, and will wear parts out a lot quicker. Good luck with your shop.
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I thought I had vibration at first but I think it was just my mind. I no longer notice it nor do I think I have vibration. I posted Alice on RRO FB page to show mine off and mentioned the vibration. They messaged me back and said to contact them because they would troubleshoot it. I never contacted them regarding the "vibration" because I didn't truly believe I had it.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
lharrell79

Another question for caniac. Are you getting the vibes under throttle, while coasting, or mixed times? If the vibes develop when getting on the throttle, that is usually a sign of driveline vibes.
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

I have similar setup to you Caniac Nation, as you can see in my signature. I had mine aligned and road force balanced twice because I had a slight vibration at 68-72 mph on the highway. It got much better after 2nd balance and alignment but there is still a slight vibe at the speeds i mentioned. The lift does make the vehicle operate with suspension components in more "stressful" positions but hey - for those of us without QL it's our only chance at having more ground clearance than a Honda Odyssey minivan! Anyway, I believe mine has to do with the wheels/tires - the wheel offset is much less than stock and there is also the issue of hubcentric/non-hubcentric wheels so I figured I would not have a 100% stock feel. The vibration is almost un-noticeable at this point. It sounds like you might have to have your setup looked at again because I haven't heard any of the other guys with lifts having issues at such low speeds.

On another note, after my Jeep was taken in for the rear diff. seal leak to be fixed, I've noticed a hum on the highway at 70-72 MPH only when on the throttle. It sounds like it's coming from the rear - almost like the drone of a plane flying overhead. I can't figure out if it's related to a driveline vibration, or, if it has to do with something that was tweaked when it was in for service. It reminds me of an aftermarket exhaust drone at certain RPM's I had on a truck of mine, so I don't know if it is related to them not putting the exhaust back on correctly but I doubt that's it. Do you have any issues like that?
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

BTW, Caniac Nation, I want to see a pic of your Jeep as we have the same setup other than mine are 17's and yours are 18's!
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

The vibrations happen both under throttle and while cruising. I have an appointment to bring it in tomorrow and will see what the shop says/does.
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

good luck please let us know what they come up with.
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

Back in the shop today...hopefully they figure it out. After having them drive along with me so that I could replicate the issue, the tech said it was because of the oversize tires, and that they see this a lot. They said a steering stabilizer would help but that nothing is available, and that they would 'rig something up'. How can I be the only one running this setup and having issues with a wobble at higher speeds? These are only 32" tires! I will report back on their solution when the problem is solved. BTW, I brought them back my stock wheels/tires for them to see if it's the lift/drivetrain or the wheels/tires.
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
JeepWK2R
2012 WK 

I had the same issue with the same wheels, but with different tires and no lift. I had a set of BFG rugged terrain, and not only they made hell of a noise, they also vibrated eventhough the Rforce balance showed no issues. I switched back to my ever faithful DynaPro A/Ts, and although there's a slight vibration, it is much better. Either way, with these wheels there's a likelyhood that this won't go away.
JeepWK2R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
CaniacNation
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, they basically told me 'live with it' at the shop today. I love the fact that I just dropped $1700 on this wheel/tire setup, only to have to deal with this now. I'm hoping once they get some more miles on them, these tires will get better, or I'll just have to wait for them to burn up and just get something different next time around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.