Anyone have pics of chrome they painted matte black with plastidip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone have pics of chrome they painted matte black with plastidip?

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!1989 Jeep Wrangler Clutch Kit with Slave Cylinder for L6 41987-1995 Jeep Wrangler Mirror Manual Folding Pair

Unread 05-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
jd100

Anyone have pics of chrome they painted matte black with plastidip?

Hey guys, looking to matte black my grill, sideview mirrors, side Jeep Grand Cherokee logos, and rear Jeep Grand Cherokee logo. I have a silver 2012 Laredo so I prefer pictures of a silver one so I can get an idea of what it looks like before I do it. If anyone can put up some pictures, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Last edited by jd100; 05-07-2015 at 11:34 PM..
jd100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
jd100

Bump!
Unread 05-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
MinGrey2011
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd100
Hey guys, looking to matte black my grill, sideview mirrors, side Jeep Grand Cherokee logos, and rear Jeep Grand Cherokee logo. I have a silver 2012 Laredo so I prefer pictures of a silver one so I can get an idea of what it looks like before I do it. If anyone can put up some pictures, that would be awesome. Thanks!
I don't own the vehicle anymore, but I had a 2011 jgc Laredo that I plasti dipped the grill, logo, side moldings,and wheels. Only things is it was mineral greet, but I think you could get an idea of what it will look like.

image-968728928.jpg
Unread 05-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
jd100

That looks really good. Thanks bro!
Unread 05-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
MinGrey2011
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd100
That looks really good. Thanks bro!
no prob, jeep modding gets addictive really quick lol
Unread 05-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Blackshirts
2012 WK 

plasti dipped my wheels black (5 coats) yesterday then hit with another 3 coats of plastic dip metalizer.

i think it came out great. Real nice, cheap way to see how it looks before I go out and buy wheels.

Anyone know how I can remove the chrome running boards along both sides of the vehicle?
Blackshirts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Shmizler

Do all parts (Rims/Trim/Grill) have to be removed for them to be plasti dipped? How long does the stuff last?
Shmizler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
justinhong8

I've had mine plasti-dipped for about 6 months now, the grill needs to be touched up or redone due to rock chips. But besides that, the emblems and side mirrors have held up through the Chicago winter.
justinhong8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Shmizler

Did you remove the parts to plastidip them? If so how do you remove the emblems?
Shmizler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #10
Blackshirts
2012 WK 

I just bagged the rotors and brake caliper and took my time spraying. Make sure you end each coat with a thick coat around the tire. This is essential as you ar making a think coat on the rubber tire so its easy to peal off. Just use a microfiber when its completely dry to remove the excess on the tire.

Youtube has a TON of videos on how to plastic dip wheels with all kinds of colors plus metalizer or glossifyer if you desire.
Blackshirts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
Apollo12

I did this to my Audi way back when. If you take the time to do it right, it holds up great. I removed the part, and "prepped" it with some high grit sandpaper before thoroughly cleaning and ENSURING it's dry. Then, spray a thin layer and let it sit for while before repeating the coat/set process several times. Also it helps to hang the piece so it's easier to get at it from all angles. Another pointer is to start spraying away from the piece and then dragging the spray across the part. This prevents runs from the initial blast collecting in areas. Also, when you're done let it set in a non-humid environment for at least 24 hours to make sure it sets solid.

Just my $.02

Before:

After:

After about a year:

Apollo12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
AmarekA
2012 WK 

Here's the link to another thread I posted the pictures in

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...73/index2.html

2007 Harley Night Train
AmarekA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
lawdocjoe

All - any experience with the durability of the plastidip compared to painting? Thanks.
lawdocjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
AmarekA
2012 WK 

Mine has only been on a little less than a year, but it's been through a WI winter and it looks as good as the day I sprayed it.

2007 Harley Night Train
AmarekA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #15
jweltch

Working on it, slowly. Got the mirrors blacked out and the tail light trim done yesterday. There's just too much chrome on these from the factory. I like this Limited, but really wish the 2014/15 Altitude was available with a 4x4/5.7L.

Before
jweltch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.