JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Anyone carrying a fire extinguisher in the trunk ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/anyone-carrying-fire-extinguisher-trunk-1498029/)

Webb 03-23-2013 07:01 PM

Anyone carrying a fire extinguisher in the trunk ?
 
I got one about 13 inches long,just don't want that thing rolling back and forth back there.

Got any ideas ?

Thanks

Jackal01 03-23-2013 07:16 PM

It didnt come with brackets?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...g#.UU5ULxyA9CI

I would just buy a universal bracket and mount it in the window.

Webb 03-23-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal01 (Post 15182444)
It didnt come with brackets?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...g#.UU5ULxyA9CI

I would just buy a universal bracket and mount it in the window.

Window ? :confused:

Jackal01 03-23-2013 08:24 PM

Yea, on the plastic around the window. I dont have it measured but it's like what...6 inches wide and probably 18 inches tall? Mount either on the part facing the front (C pillar) or part facing rear (D pillar). A 13" one should fit with bracket.

Webb 03-23-2013 09:02 PM

I will Google to see if I can find some pictures,looks confusing right now.

Jackal01 03-24-2013 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Either the vertical part, C/D pillar, or even mount it horizontally between the C and D pillar on the bottom. Horizontally is my plan.

Attachment 592386

Sent from my underground lair.

Dave2002ti 03-24-2013 05:19 AM

Fre extiguishers
 
What chemicals are being used to extinguish the flames? The chemicals can do more damage than the flames to your vehicle.

Jackal01 03-24-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2002ti (Post 15184059)
What chemicals are being used to extinguish the flames? The chemicals can do more damage than the flames to your vehicle.

Depends on what your e going to just our for. Just interior fabrics or electrical and chemials? Cant go wrong with an ABC dry chem...your typical household extinguisher. There is CO2, water and dry chemical as the most common. Dry Chem is a huge mess but effective my peraonal choice.

Sent from my underground lair.

ArloGuthroJeep 03-24-2013 07:11 AM

You're more likely to have an under hood fire then in the interior so damage to the interior wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Jackal01 03-24-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep (Post 15184253)
You're more likely to have an under hood fire then in the interior so damage to the interior wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Exactly.

Sent from my underground lair.

xmonger 03-24-2013 07:40 AM

They generally come with mounting brackets. I would advise mounting it well and low. In an accident or hard stop it can become a deadly projectile inside the vehicle.

Dave2002ti 03-24-2013 07:47 AM

Most common fire extinguishers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal01 (Post 15184109)
Depends on what your e going to just our for. Just interior fabrics or electrical and chemials? Cant go wrong with an ABC dry chem...your typical household extinguisher. There is CO2, water and dry chemical as the most common. Dry Chem is a huge mess but effective my peraonal choice.

Sent from my underground lair.

Can do serious damage to a vehicle's electrical system and wiring. I would rather let the my car burn to the ground than let the fire department put it out with water and fire extinguishers. Its no fun when an engine inhales this crap either. Even in the interior it can still do damage to the wiring, electrical system and computers. For a vehicle I recommend using a halon since it does the least amount of damage and is the easiest to clean up after. F the environment and ozone layer.

Jackal01 03-24-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2002ti (Post 15184390)

Can do serious damage to a vehicle's electrical system and wiring. I would rather let the my car burn to the ground than let the fire department put it out with water and fire extinguishers. Its no fun when an engine inhales this crap either. Even in the interior it can still do damage to the wiring, electrical system and computers. For a vehicle I recommend using a halon since it does the least amount of damage and is the easiest to clean up after. F the environment and ozone layer.

And if FD is far off your entire jeep may be destroyed like you said but if you can stop it in time you may have ro replace the engine and other stuff but at least your whole gc won't be a loss. Just me. Most people want to save what they can. That is what I have learned in the fire department over the many years. Halon is also deadly for humans hence not use in commercial settings much.

Sent from my underground lair.

henrysko 03-24-2013 12:03 PM

In my humble opinion, it makes no sense to risk life & limb in case of a fire. Keep everyone away until the professionals arrive to do their job.

Good insurance will take care of the material loss.

ArloGuthroJeep 03-24-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal01 (Post 15184780)
And if FD is far off your entire jeep may be destroyed like you said but if you can stop it in time you may have ro replace the engine and other stuff but at least your whole gc won't be a loss. Just me. Most people want to save what they can. That is what I have learned in the fire department over the many years. Halon is also deadly for humans hence not use in commercial settings much.

Sent from my underground lair.

I thought it was bad for humans as well but when googleing it just now, I found that it isn't. I thought it used to just be an inert gas that displaced oxygen, but it disrupts the fire on a "chemical level" and isn't dangerous to humans.


The time now is 08:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.