Any Canadians imported a GC from the USA to Canada? Warranty issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Any Canadians imported a GC from the USA to Canada? Warranty issues?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 01-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Vantage

Any Canadians imported a GC from the USA to Canada? Warranty issues?

I have been looking for a vehicle to replace my 2011 Tacoma Sport and like the GJC, especially the diesel version.

Unfortunately here in Canada we can only get the Diesel in the Overland trim, at a whopping $65,000.

In the USA you can get the diesel Limited with Luxury package ect for $45,000.

Even after border fee's and taxes it would be nearly $10,000 cheaper to buy a limited diesel from the USA.

Has anyone been able to do this, and retain the full factory warranty?
Local dealerships are telling me that no USA warranty is valid in Canada, but they also might be trying toget me to spend my $$$ at their store.

It is very annoying up here. All models seem to have a $9,000 premium just for being across the border.

Base Canadian Laredo (39,995). Limited (47,000), overland(55,000), summit(60,000)

All with V6 engines.

Base USA Laredo(30,995), Limited (38,000), Overland(46,000), summit(51,000).

Another thing we cannot get up here is tan interior's or the navy blue interior. I do a lot of backcountry camping, and black interior shows all the dust.

This is nearly a breaking point for me for buying a JGC.

Vantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
midnightrambler
2012 WK 

I believe every manufacturer makes their own policies about whether warranties are valid on cars imported from USA to Canada.

I imported a year-old Porsche, and no problem with the warranty.

A friend imported a slightly used BMW, the warranty was honored (after paying a fee), but the included maintenance was only valid in the US. So, she had it serviced just across the border in WA.

Chrysler as I understand it does not honor the warranty at all for US vehicles brought into Canada.

Good luck finding a US dealer who will sell a new vehicle to an out-of-country purchaser. Used vehicles are okay, but not new. I think they do it to protect the Canadian dealers, otherwise lots of folks would buy cars in the US and import them.
midnightrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
boyvan
2012 WK 

I don't think any dealer will sell you a brand new vehicle. BUT some dealers will sell you 500 km or even less "used" vehicle.

Warranty wise be very careful. I bought my Overland brand new but thought to buy warranty half hour away from me (States). I called Chrysler directly and I don't recall the exact conversation but the bottom line was that it will not work. I think they said something like if a vehicle is registered in Canada then warranty should be bought here. I called couple of US dealers and one online warranty place and I was given a good price and was told all is covered through out N. America pretty much. Good thing I called Chrysler and they said that once you a warranty then it is not an issue but where a vehicle is registered that is important. Hope that makes sense. I suggest you call Chrysler Canada to make sure. Good Luck.
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Nookie
2014 WK 

Warranty = none
Chrysler is one brand that does not honour warranty if vehicle is registered any country other than the country it's manufactured for.
(One exclusion to that, read APA link below)

I'm not sure if US Dealer would even honour warranty on US bought but Canadian Registered vehicle.

Ford amongst few other brands don't care.

http://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyin...ghtintheUS.asp

All has to do with grossly overpriced vehicle market in Canada & hughe markups associated with it.

Re Extended warranties, again won't work as Standard Canadian Warranties on Jeep are far less that USA counterparts.
(No 100K mile powertrain) thus the coverage/pricing is different for USA vehicles.
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
chartx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I have been looking for a vehicle to replace my 2011 Tacoma Sport and like the GJC, especially the diesel version.

Unfortunately here in Canada we can only get the Diesel in the Overland trim, at a whopping $65,000.

In the USA you can get the diesel Limited with Luxury package ect for $45,000.

Even after border fee's and taxes it would be nearly $10,000 cheaper to buy a limited diesel from the USA.

Has anyone been able to do this, and retain the full factory warranty?
Local dealerships are telling me that no USA warranty is valid in Canada, but they also might be trying toget me to spend my $$$ at their store.

It is very annoying up here. All models seem to have a $9,000 premium just for being across the border.

Base Canadian Laredo (39,995). Limited (47,000), overland(55,000), summit(60,000)

All with V6 engines.

Base USA Laredo(30,995), Limited (38,000), Overland(46,000), summit(51,000).

Another thing we cannot get up here is tan interior's or the navy blue interior. I do a lot of backcountry camping, and black interior shows all the dust.

This is nearly a breaking point for me for buying a JGC.

You do realize that 1 Canadian dollar makes 0.94 US dollars?

I checked it on Canadian GJ website, your numbers are for Canadian dollar.

So 47000 ca dollar makes = 44180 us dollars for the limited.

Remaining $6000 can be explained with many reasons which I'm not familiar with.

Just to make you feel a bit better perhaps, in Germany GJ limited is being sold for 72000 dollars. So consider yourself still lucky,
chartx is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.