Any 2015 EcoDiesel problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Any 2015 EcoDiesel problems?

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
dlthig
2014 WK 

Any 2015 EcoDiesel problems?

All, I'm trying to figure out if the 2014 diesel issues have carried over to the 2015s. I've got a 2014 Overland diesel that started developing check engine lights with exhaust failures around 6K miles. Mine is a Apr 2014 build. I've had the DEF injector seal replaced followed by the injector itself followed by an injector pump and now I'm waiting on a different part that I honestly can't remember what is wrong now. All of these were indicated by the CEL when I took it to the dealer. So, I'd like to give this one back to Jeep and get another just like it, without the problems. My two questions are; any 2015 problems and/or when do the diesel problems start to diminish. April was a bad month for me. Thanks for the input.

dlthig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
akinney

I think there were two major things that were fixed in the 2015s - software and the catalytic converter. I have a November 2014 build 2015. I've only put 400 miles on it so far, so I can't be certain, but I do know that Chrysler figured out the software problem and then in October 2014 they put out the TSB to replace the defective catalytic converter on every 2014 manufactured before then. The TSB made no indication about being applicable to the 2015s manufactured after that date.

My semi-educated guess is that if you get a 2015 built November 2014 or later, you're probably fine. You can check this on the sticker at the end of the door on the drivers side. Frankly, I don't know when the 2015s first went into production, so there might be some older build 2015s that could still be iffy. You could have the dealer check the catalytic converter part number if you're concerned. I believe the bad part number ended in AA and the redesigned part number ends in AB.

One problem still persists. That's the DEF injector and lines going to it still being exposed. That's easily solved with a protection plate, though. $200 or so and you've got a solid vehicle.
akinney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
DirtEmax-USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinney View Post
I think there were two major things that were fixed in the 2015s - software and the catalytic converter. I have a November 2014 build 2015. I've only put 400 miles on it so far, so I can't be certain, but I do know that Chrysler figured out the software problem and then in October 2014 they put out the TSB to replace the defective catalytic converter on every 2014 manufactured before then. The TSB made no indication about being applicable to the 2015s manufactured after that date.

My semi-educated guess is that if you get a 2015 built November 2014 or later, you're probably fine. You can check this on the sticker at the end of the door on the drivers side. Frankly, I don't know when the 2015s first went into production, so there might be some older build 2015s that could still be iffy. You could have the dealer check the catalytic converter part number if you're concerned. I believe the bad part number ended in AA and the redesigned part number ends in AB.

One problem still persists. That's the DEF injector and lines going to it still being exposed. That's easily solved with a protection plate, though. $200 or so and you've got a solid vehicle.

X2

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
DirtEmax-USMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
womps
2014 WK 

I had my jeep in for service two weeks ago because of the P20EE code. Dealer also completed all TSB's on my 2013 build Ecodiesel. He told me all TSB's were up to date. No mention of replacing the cat. Are they suppose to replace evey one with these buld dates? If so, I wonder how I can get dealer to perform required fix. This is so frustrating!!
womps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by womps View Post
I had my jeep in for service two weeks ago because of the P20EE code. Dealer also completed all TSB's on my 2013 build Ecodiesel. He told me all TSB's were up to date. No mention of replacing the cat. Are they suppose to replace evey one with these buld dates? If so, I wonder how I can get dealer to perform required fix. This is so frustrating!!
Akinney...exactly which TSB from 10/14 are you referencing for cat conv replacement?

I am not a deisel guy so just trying to point Womps in the right direction. Here are all the TSB's published.

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
akinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Akinney...exactly which TSB from 10/14 are you referencing for cat conv replacement?

I am not a deisel guy so just trying to point Womps in the right direction. Here are all the TSB's published.

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm
I had my dates a little off. October 2014 was the software:
http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801814d.pdf

November 2014 was the catalytic converter:
http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1804514.pdf

They're closely related. Most people who have had problems with the catalytic converter have also had problems with the DEF injector clogging and, sometimes, the DEF pump failing due to the clogged injector. Something about how the defective catalytic converter affected exhaust flows was clogging DEF injectors.

Dealers have made this a three step process, per Chrysler:
1. Apply the software update from October 2014.
2. If the codes come back, investigate/fix the DEF injector/pump/etc.
3. If the codes still come back, replace the catalytic converter.

They won't just do step 3 without first doing the other things. Not everyone has a bad catalytic converter, according to Chrysler, though it may depend on driving frequency/distance and so forth whether the problem manifests.

Neither TSB mentions 2015 models. In the chart at wk2jeeps.com, they have the X in the 2015 column for the catalytic converter TSB, but that's a mistake. The TSB itself says it is only for 2014s.
Unread 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
akinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by womps View Post
The P20EE code can be one of several things, so Chrysler is taking a measured approach. Most P20EE that I've seen reported on various forums for 2014 EcoDiesel (including RAM 1500) ended up being the catalytic converter. A few have been stale DEF or contaminated DEF.
Unread 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Morax
2014 WK 

I just returned from the dealer with the P20EE code, they applied the latest update 1801814 REV-E...told me to call if the MIL returns, then they would proceed in changing the DEF injector / pump, then possibly the CAT ( Well, I'd be on ''tha list''. So, yes, they are taking a step by step approach. Seems that they had some success with the update only, which I seriously doubt. I donít think they know why some are experiencing these issues and others not. Must be an environment or driving habits vs build dates I gues...
Morax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
DirtEmax-USMC

Remember diesels in any form are ment to be driven. Not that those who rack of the miles don't have problems but I would bet those who put them through the proper heat cycles will be better off. I think it comes down to as well the learning curve of these new emissions. The VM motor was never intended to be used with a complex emissions system. With that being said some will have problems others will not. Make sure your pushing your diesel. Don't be afraid to add up the mileage. Every other day step on it. Get the turbos spoiled and push the motor. Best of luck.

Unread 02-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
dlthig
2014 WK 

I drive mine 15 miles to work at least 5 days per week. I usually cruise at 70-75 mph for about 5 of those miles.
Unread 02-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
dlthig
2014 WK 

Morax, when was yours built?
Unread 02-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #12
Morax
2014 WK 

Early build Sept 2013... And yeah, I keep it ULTRA clean, but I do push that Diesel... - Sooner or later, they will change all the parts related to this issue and all will be good! Just a major waste of time, IMHO
Unread 02-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #13
DirtEmax-USMC

Glad to see yall are putting the hammer down and putting stress on your motors. Diesels are meant to be worked, used but notice I didn't say abused. A lot of misconceptions that since its a diesel it can go the distance without maintenance. It remains to be seen if this diesel will make it 200-300-400k miles but I am kinda bound and determined to see for myself. 40,000/year on our vehicles. At 25,000 right now in 7 months so we will see.

Unread 02-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
Morax
2014 WK 

Mostly towing and long drives, 3k miles per month easily...Planning to keep this one for a few years for sure! So need it to go up to 200K minimum!
Unread 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #15
DirtEmax-USMC

So if your planning on keeping it which it certainly seems like you are check out Duramax Tuner/Cummins Tuner. They just announced they are doing final testing in a jeep ecodiesel tuner that will keep emissions in tact and will keep your warranty valid. YOUTUBE jeep tuner by duramax tuner. These guys are good at what they do by all accounts and fully test and measure the products they out out 100%. I'll be picking one up for our jeep and out DMAX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.